• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

I too think it's a formality, but it IS part of the HOS nomination process. (shrug)

We have had some nominations to the HoS in the past that went so fast they caused problems going forward. There seems to be a mound of potential material for this one so all the more reason to document it carefully and follow the process.

And especially so as sadly it looks like it may get busy in here shortly...

This is a some of the ways that David Olvera ( Ilovelamp, dbostejano@att.net) has been caught scamming people.

David Olvera bought a Walking dead 100 apperication variant from me at the start of 2016, he claimed he never received the book. After hours of making me waste my time calling Aust post and usps nothing happened. The book did have tracking but went back and forth from Aust to U.S.A. Eventually the tracking said there where 2 items with the same number and it was untrackable. Ok looks like Usps made a mistake. David lodged a paypal claim and got his money back. 9 months later the same book shows up on ebay (252604860102). So David somehow received the book even though usps said it was never delivered then claimed his money back from paypal, then sold the same book on ebay.

David Olvera run a raffle where the prize was a cgc Marvel superheros 18, everyone paid him and he sent the winner a book worth far less then the cgc marvel superheros 18. When he was called out on it he did send the cgc marvel superheros 18 but the case was cracked with no mention of it what so ever. Photos from the raffle where checked after the winner received the book and he noticed that it was damaged prior to sale. After David was called out he paid a $45 reslabing fee.

David Olvera Bought a Amazing spiderman 129 from a seller, listed as a raw 5.5 mentioning that I might jump a grade if pressed. David said he sent it off showed the seller a similar book graded at 5.0 and demanded $100 back from the seller. The book David claimed was the sellers was not the 5.0 that he said it was.

David Olvera ran a raffle with a Amazing spiderman 300 as the prize. The winner never knew he won untill someone told them that they did. By that time David had sold the book on ebay (252580203290).

This is only the scams that he has been caught doing. Please check out the facebook group "comic book scammers exposed" if you need any more information on his dealings.

Should he be listed in the Hall Of Shame?

Please vote in the poll.

Thanks.

Did you message this guy and tell him you were nominating him for HOS status and provide a link to this thread? We do this for PL nominations and probably would be a good idea to do so in this instance in the event he wants to chime in.

Trust me, I'm all for handing out board justice and holding those accountable for bad actions but can't think I'm the only one that has some follow-up questions regarding the above post. For example, the WD 100, I can't find that item ID and just want you to clarify that when you saw this posted on the bay it was in fact under the account of this seller, what is his ebay id? Was the book a CGC or Raw?

Related to the raffle, sketchy but looks like he ultimately resolved this?

Related to the 129, I would think we need to see some additional evidence that clearly shows books were swapped? We shouldn't get in the middle of a .5 difference in grade and a request for a partial refund when talking about HOS IMO.

On the ASM 300, can't find that listing by item # for some reason, but would request additional info on this as well.

Most importantly you should really focus on transactions between you and him, i.e. the first paragraph.

If other folks were impacted by him they should come here and state the case.

Based on what I see so far, if you email him through the boards notifying him of your nomination and linking this thread, I can see a PL nomination but not sure about HOS at this point.

What do others think? I see a bunch of folks already voted, but withholding mine for the time being.

I would like to think we set a relatively high bar for HOS.

I am still sick and just started looking at the boards today. MustEatBrains is correct. We still need to go through the proper process, which is to PM the offender, inform them of this discussion and nomination and give them three days to respond befoire either placing them on the PL or making an HOS poll.

If it is decided to make a real HOS poll it should be setup so no can can view the results until a week has passed. The existing poll allows that. This is in the Poll selection Do not permit users to view poll results until the stop time has elapsed.

What we really need for this to be a real HOS on these boards are other BOARD MEMBERS who have been scammed by this person to come on with details.

So far we have with only one board member reporting a problem with the offender, which makes this more a PL than HOS situation.

Regardless of PL or HOS we should still be following the established procedures, which is why we established them.

Edited by ThatPovGuy

https://www.facebook.com/groups/772684332844668/

Here is the group that has a bunch of Olvera data. A ton has been washed/deleted (which was unfortunate).

Cliff notes he would run raffles and not ship books and just give the winners some of the money, then sell the book when he mysteriously found it.

He wouldn't ship books to winners or accidentally send them books worth a fair amount less than their wins (Should win a $1000 book and sends a book worth $750) weeks later sells the $1000 book on ebay.

He's been booted/blocked from a number of groups in the last few weeks once one person came forward it was a trickle effect of he did this to me too and me and me and me.

I would think the multiple instances of thievery and dishonesty is more in line with a HOS nomination rather than a one time oopsy leading to the Probation List. 2c

And is a separate PM notification a requirement for a HOS nomination?

Not sure about that but I try to look at the totality of everything and personally see no harm in waiting a few days to see if he shows up. I already messaged him alerting him to discussions going on in this thread stating we'd like to hear from him if he so chooses.

We have a boardie with limited posting history putting someone up that has been here since '08. Like you I welcome any newcomers(although looks like he's been lurking for a while) to the boards and not trying to be difficult. Just think it would make sense to give an opportunity for the guy being put up to offer any input he may have on this in his defense. At this point we're just getting one side of the story...

I didn't see HOS material in that first post and it doesn't seem open and shut at this point. Sure it can get there but not yet for me.

I don't have facebook and can't join that group however the individual putting him up should lay out in as much detail as possible all evidence so this thread can be the single source of info.

And Happy New Year!

And is a separate PM notification a requirement for a HOS nomination?

Yes. Rules here:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4949997#Post4949997

which states the HOS is subject to all of the rules of the PL (5c)

And everyone please remember HOS and PL are for transactions between board members. It is not our job to police outside the boards.

So he scammed one Board member (that we know of) and possibly several outside of the Boards? hm

Can I change my vote?

Alot of what has been posted is conjecture and hearsay at this point regarding other folks that may have been impacted, and still would like clarification on the one incident involving the boardie that wants to nominate. That's all. Nothing more, nothing less.

Ultimately the masses will decide, and I'm fine with that.