• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

I'm both empathetic for and suspicious of Chip at this point.

I know exactly what you mean. I was in exactly the same place the last time, until the details of the gofundme dollars and where it was going came out.

Between empathy and suspicion is the grey area where manipulators thrive.

I am going to weigh in here...

I felt for the guy in the beginning. I really did. I won several things on eBay from him that I really did not need and bid up even more trying to win others in the process. I've chatted with him and offered an ear and counsel.

Yes, I understand what goes on with someone who faces depression and other similar obstacles. I almost married someone that was afflicted with it. It took her through ups and downs that are indescribable especially when SHE decided to take breaks from her medication because she thought she was better.

I am sorry Sharon and I am sorry Roy but my gut feeling is that this is not what is going on here. I do not think that Chip is being honest with any of us. To me, family is everything. I have been arm and arm with mine and been at war with them. When push comes to shove, we will still help each other out because that is what family does.

Some real mess must have gone down with Chip and his family that he has no one to turn to. That sends a big flag up to me. Someone I grew up with is currently appealing to all of her "friends from HS and the neighborhood" on facebook because she is eight months pregnant, has no job, about to get evicted and has no one to turn to. I know a little more about her than others. Her mother, sister, father, brother, and all of her family, have deleted all pictures and acknowledgement of her on their facebook pages. They will not discuss her nor have anything to do with her. Why? She is a violent, drug addicted, pathological, lying, trainwreck of an individual. They have tried to help her for the past twenty years and cannot continue to tear their own families apart over it.

This is an instance where someone has taken the money and run. There is a repeated history across a few message boards and trading exchanges that demonstrate that no matter the cause of the problem, this is a pattern of behavior on Chip's end. If this were anyone else, he would end up on the probation list.

How long are we to facilitate this pattern of behavior and make excuses for it? How many charity threads should be started for this guy to support his bad decision making? This is not a brain tumor or another medical issue. This is not someone fighting for their life of their child. MANY boardies ranging from Shadroch, the entirety of the Water Cooler, Roy, myself and others have tried to offer advice and help him. This is someone, who in his 40's, at the end of the day cannot take the help he has been given and make something of it. This is someone who I feel, repeatedly lies to us. He is deceitful to us and due to his actions has lost all credibility.

Roy and Sharon, this may be an open discussion here, but there are well respected boardies laughing about this behind the scenes. "Here we go again!" "Chip Cataldo again."

I am not falling for the 'again' aspect.

The guy has earned his way onto the probation list. I fully support him being put on the list and if it leads to it, put in the Hall of Shame. I for one will not send a single cent his way nor support any activity that encourages others to send him money.

Once he is put on the probation list and the hall of shame I already know what is going to happen. He will move to another message board and the whole routine will start again.

If Chip is reading this, and I suspect he is because we already know he is active...

As a forum member of www.hisstank.com (Home of the GI Joe buying and selling) and www.tfw2005.com (Transformers)

Welcome to the Boards...

I patiently await to see how it plays out once he eventually moves there.

:golfclap:

Perfectly stated.

I felt for the guy in the beginning. I really did. I won several things on eBay from him that I really did not need and bid up even more trying to win others in the process. I've chatted with him and offered an ear and counsel.

Yes, I understand what goes on with someone who faces depression and other similar obstacles. I almost married someone that was afflicted with it. It took her through ups and downs that are indescribable especially when SHE decided to take breaks from her medication because she thought she was better.

I am sorry Sharon and I am sorry Roy but my gut feeling is that this is not what is going on here. I do not think that Chip is being honest with any of us. To me, family is everything. I have been arm and arm with mine and been at war with them. When push comes to shove, we will still help each other out because that is what family does.

Some real mess must have gone down with Chip and his family that he has no one to turn to. That sends a big flag up to me. Someone I grew up with is currently appealing to all of her "friends from HS and the neighborhood" on facebook because she is eight months pregnant, has no job, about to get evicted and has no one to turn to. I know a little more about her than others. Her mother, sister, father, brother, and all of her family, have deleted all pictures and acknowledgement of her on their facebook pages. They will not discuss her nor have anything to do with her. Why? She is a violent, drug addicted, pathological, lying, trainwreck of an individual. They have tried to help her for the past twenty years and cannot continue to tear their own families apart over it.

This is an instance where someone has taken the money and run. There is a repeated history across a few message boards and trading exchanges that demonstrate that no matter the cause of the problem, this is a pattern of behavior on Chip's end. If this were anyone else, he would end up on the probation list.

How long are we to facilitate this pattern of behavior and make excuses for it? How many charity threads should be started for this guy to support his bad decision making? This is not a brain tumor or another medical issue. This is not someone fighting for their life of their child. MANY boardies ranging from Shadroch, the entirety of the Water Cooler, Roy, myself and others have tried to offer advice and help him. This is someone, who in his 40's, at the end of the day cannot take the help he has been given and make something of it. This is someone who I feel, repeatedly lies to us. He is deceitful to us and due to his actions has lost all credibility.

Roy and Sharon, this may be an open discussion here, but there are well respected boardies laughing about this behind the scenes. "Here we go again!" "Chip Cataldo again."

The guy has earned his way onto the probation list. I fully support him being put on the list and if it leads to it, put in the Hall of Shame. I for one will not send a single cent his way nor support any activity that encourages others to send him money.

Once he is put on the probation list and the hall of shame I already know what is going to happen. He will move to another message board and the whole routine will start again.

Perfectly stated.

+1

There can't be any question of going to the PL. The list is there for the benefit of aggrieved parties and for the benefit of the community. That part is cut and dry no matter if someone wants to attribute the behavior to any kind of personal issues.

When does a bad deal become theft? I've had a couple deals over the last decade go bad and it took awhile to get it sorted out and I'd have hated for someone to call me a thief during that time. But I can't remember one being unresolved after 2 months so I have to question when it becomes a theft? 3 months? When PMs go unanswered for an extended time?

Yeah, the last straw for me was finding out what the 15K was for. Some were for paying off comics right? Yeah....Not cool.

I supported his charity thread until I found out the majority of the funds were intended to pay off a Paypal bill. I then pulled my support.

I probably was not being clear. I in no way shape or form, think he should NOT be on the probation list. I don't think his illness is an excuse (if he is indeed ill and really was getting help).

I know all this, because my brother was the same way. When I said "self medicated" he used drugs, and he eventually OD'd, but that was because in his mind he knew that he was right and the Dr.s and the rest of us were wrong, that was what I meant.

None of us are going to be able to fix that by being nice to Chip, but I don't advocate calling people names. That was what I was trying to say.

I don't like to talk about my brother, but if it helps someone else avoid what we went through, then I do.

He could look you straight in the eye and tell you that the sky was green and HE believed it.

He could also talk money out of almost anyone, everything was always a tragedy, and the stuff always happened to him. His excuse (and itw as probably real) was that he was depressed. He was more than just depressed.

I was just saying, I would not buy something from someone like Chip and expect to get something back, if I bought something, it would be in my mind, a donation.

If other people didn't remember what happened because Chip was not on the probation list (or the HOS) then by all means, that was an error, unless no one proposed him the first time.

Yeah, the last straw for me was finding out what the 15K was for. Some were for paying off comics right? Yeah....Not cool.

I supported his charity thread until I found out the majority of the funds were intended to pay off a Paypal bill. I then pulled my support.

That's why I refused to run a charity thread for him. I was asked, but I said no. I did buy a few things, but again, I didn't expect to get them.

Buzzetta is correct and I erased a lot this morning, because I get very emotional about it. When it's likely a family member was the one who ransacked your house, you have to wake up. You don't want to believe it and a lot of your extended family won't believe it no matter what.

Edited by skypinkblu

Perfectly stated.

+1

Completely agree. The discussion on the board is doing nothing but to feed his need/addiction for attention. Whether it is visible or not I would say he is seeing what is going on. I believe he has not replied this time because the tide has not moved in his favor. I have seen this type of behavior many times and unfortunately ends the same way too many times. Even at rock bottom they refuse to see the problem.

As a compassionate human being I wish him the best but will not support the behavior.

So can one of the board elders get the list updated please? Thanks.

I think he still gets 3 days to respond.

Correct. We still need to do it right. I am still sick and a little overwhelmed with the buzz here the past few days so...did someone send Chip a PM telling him he has 3 days to reply here before being put on PL?

If so, when, so we can begin the countdown.

I probably was not being clear. I in no way shape or form, think he should NOT be on the probation list. I don't think his illness is an excuse (if he is indeed ill and really was getting help).

I know all this, because my brother was the same way. When I said "self medicated" he used drugs, and he eventually OD'd, but that was because in his mind he knew that he was right and the Dr.s and the rest of us were wrong, that was what I meant.

None of us are going to be able to fix that by being nice to Chip, but I don't advocate calling people names. That was what I was trying to say.

I don't like to talk about my brother, but if it helps someone else avoid what we went through, then I do.

He could look you straight in the eye and tell you that the sky was green and HE believed it.

He could also talk money out of almost anyone, everything was always a tragedy, and the stuff always happened to him. His excuse (and itw as probably real) was that he was depressed. He was more than just depressed.

I was just saying, I would not buy something from someone like Chip and expect to get something back, if I bought something, it would be in my mind, a donation.

If other people didn't remember what happened because Chip was not on the probation list (or the HOS) then by all means, that was an error, unless no one proposed him the first time.

I understood what you meant. It is admirable of you, I do believe that.

My cynical, jaded attitude is born mostly out of knowing people who have feigned medical, psychological, drug issues as an excuse and a reason for their constant state of failure, need, and a false crutch to prevent true consequences from ever coming down.

It's a reliance on the good and compassionate nature of people who don't want to take the chance that the issues and problems the person claims may be real. Dancing between the rain drops of repercussions, depending on the kindness of honest people, never actually even considering doing things the right way the first time.

Personally, I don't think any of it is real at this point. None of it.

Correct. We still need to do it right. I am still sick and a little overwhelmed with the buzz here the past few days so...did someone send Chip a PM telling him he has 3 days to reply here before being put on PL?

I believe gatchaman stated that he notified him 3 days ago.

[color=#3333FFI was just thinking that I've missed you.

:foryou:

]Happy New Year...[/color]

I believe gatchaman stated that he notified him 3 days ago.

This was my understanding as well.