• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

Did you PM Wolfhulk or Markweb?

Markweb did the :takeit: in your thread, BigDaddy congratulated him and Wolfhulk said Thank you......

Wolfhulk orginally did the :takeit: and that post was later Edited by Markweb (03/15/09 12:34 PM)

Something doesn't seem right here.

Brian

He just started a topic in the OA section...maybe he can clear up things.

Who the heck is Wolfhulk?

More importantly, why do you guys keep doing business with these nobodies? And then act surprised when the deal goes bad?

I think it's much easier to allow someone to buy when they're new. You don't ship the book until paid and your biggest exposure (short of paypal fraud) is the book is off the market for awhile. But I agree with you, I don't buy anything of significance from noobs.

More importantly, why do you guys keep doing business with these nobodies? And then act surprised when the deal goes bad?

That's a pretty callous statement, there are plenty of "nobodies"/new members who throw up the :takeit: and complete the transactions. This guy appeared to have two transactions gone awry within a short period of time, before anyone could be alerted there may be a problem.

When you run a public thread, it's hard to police who buys from you. I suppose someone could post something like "I won't sell to anyone who has been a member for less than 6 months" or something, but that's throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Besides, a significant portion of the deadbeats on the current list have high post counts. I haven't seen much correlation between time on the board and ability to follow through with a transaction.

When you run a public thread, it's hard to police who buys from you. I suppose someone could post something like "I won't sell to anyone who has been a member for less than 6 months" or something, but that's throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Besides, a significant portion of the deadbeats on the current list have high post counts. I haven't seen much correlation between time on the board and ability to follow through with a transaction.

"I won't sell to anyone who has been a member for less than 6 months"

Well that would really suck.

I have only been a member for under a year and I would have hated to watch the deals that i got from awesome members on the boards here go by me. I guess i am still considered a noobie here but if i hadn't the chance to make my first couple of deals i probably would not have stuck around(the 6 months) and missed out on a great boards and the deals on them here. I understand that there are a lot of dollars flying around on these boards and I for one will not buy something that i cannot afford( god knows i have seen books go by that i can only dream about ever owning) I really enjoy visiting the boards and watching all the different comics that come up for sale and when i find some i want in my price range i try and get them. Sometimes i'm to slow with the :takeit: and i miss out but that life. I watch the probation list now that i know what it is about but don't go and group all us noobies by the action of one please.

Sorry for the rant but thats just my 2c

Everybody was a nobody once.

Not me, I've always been somebody. :makepoint:

I still am... :sorry:

Don't sweat it, even greggy was a nobody once. :P

Because we'll never match your intellectual superiority. I don't know how you stand us. :sorry:

I've had 1000+ post forumites flake out on transactions (none of whom post here anymore)... and I've sold books to lots of good folks with low post counts (and in one case, 0 posts!) with no problems at all. People do flake out, but post counts are not an accurate measure of it.

Don't sweat it, even greggy was a nobody once. :P

who????

"I won't sell to anyone who has been a member for less than 6 months"

Well that would really suck.

I have only been a member for under a year and I would have hated to watch the deals that i got from awesome members on the boards here go by me. I guess i am still considered a noobie here but if i hadn't the chance to make my first couple of deals i probably would not have stuck around(the 6 months) and missed out on a great boards and the deals on them here. I understand that there are a lot of dollars flying around on these boards and I for one will not buy something that i cannot afford( god knows i have seen books go by that i can only dream about ever owning) I really enjoy visiting the boards and watching all the different comics that come up for sale and when i find some i want in my price range i try and get them. Sometimes i'm to slow with the :takeit: and i miss out but that life. I watch the probation list now that i know what it is about but don't go and group all us noobies by the action of one please.

Sorry for the rant but thats just my 2c

cookie1963's OK in my book! :headbang:

(Even for a canuck!)

Edited by trmoore54

POst count, and defaulting have nothing in common. And I dont think post count makes you any safer when buying. Anyone can flake out on you.

And I have better luck with noobs. At least they buy books, or ask if you will wait a few days for payment. Where as alot of "other" members just try and shoot lowball offers on everything. THAT gets old.

I've had 1000+ post forumites flake out on transactions (none of whom post here anymore)... and I've sold books to lots of good folks with low post counts (and in one case, 0 posts!) with no problems at all. People do flake out, but post counts are not an accurate measure of it.

This is what the probation thread is for, to help identify the losers when they show themselves up so that others can be informed. There have been loads of decent members join even since I joined a couple of years back.

With selling it's going to be nearly impossible to cut out every deadbeat but that's just an inconvenience really. It's when you're buying that it really counts and people need to be very careful.