• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

Matt,

If he lied to you then his offer was made under false pretenses and you are not bound by it in the least.

Which means refund him the $55 and put him back on the list right?

Seems he's hoping for a HOS bid.

That's what I would do.

A lot of people gave him a chance to explain himself but he went the "I put all you haters on ignore" route, conveniently for him to avoid these questions.

Given the size, scope and obvious nature of the questions at hand he needs to disclose everything and explain himself to Matt and, frankly, to everyone here given the line we've been given and asked to swallow without anything to back it up.

The questions outweigh the answers at this point and the "I put the haters on ignore" rap won't cut it.

I've sent him this PM.

I'm sorry John but people in the Probation Thread have proved to me you weren't being truthful when we settled.

It's clear to me you still have the book.

Here is what i am willing to do:

Option 1. We complete the transaction as originally intended. $675 + shipping. I will also pay your CGC and pressing costs to make it fair to you. If we go with this option we would need to use an escrow. A trusted member on the boards that you would send the book to and i would send the money to. Upon receving the book and money they would send the book to me and the money to you.

Option 2. You pay me the differance between our agreed price and current GPA on a 9.4.

Option 3. I refund your $55 and you go back on the list though by your recent actions it's likely to be the Hall of Shame list this time.

My prefered option would be #1. I still haven't found a copy and would love the book so i ask you to do what we originally agreed upon and complete the transaction. I'm sure if you went with this option you would have peoples respect for admitting when you made a mistake and making good in the end. You would certainly have mine.

Let me know what you decide.

Matt

I've sent him this PM.

I'm sorry John but people in the Probation Thread have proved to me you weren't being truthful when we settled.

Option 1. We complete the transaction as originally intended. $675 + shipping. I will also pay your CGC and pressing costs to make it fair to you. If we go with this option we would need to use an escrow. A trusted member on the boards that you would send the book to and i would send the money to. Upon receving the book and money they would send the book to me and the money to you.

Option 2. You pay me the differance between our agreed price and current GPA on a 9.4.

Option 3. I refund your $55 and you go back on the list though by your recent actions it's likely to be the Hall of Shame list this time.

My prefered option would be #1. I still haven't found a copy and would love the book so i ask you to do what we originally agreed upon and complete the transaction. I'm sure if you went with this option you would have peoples respect for admitting when you made a mistake and making good in the end. You would certainly have mine.

Matt

It's your decision but in my opinion your Option 2 is a bit heavy handed @ GPA 9.4 considering the grade discussion that led to the offer in the PM. I only state that opinion presuming he still has the book and wants to keep it.

Full PM exchange in spoilers

Here is the whole PM. No idea why you keep asking for it. It shows you went back on a deal. I also think based on your previous response that you lied about how much you paid for the book originally.

Hi i saw this in the PGM forum, i was wondering if you were looking to sell?

I hope you don't think it's rude of me to ask. Don't ask and you'll never know right?

Thanks regardless \:\)

Matt

P.S. Do NOT touch those with an eraser. What bad advise some people give

Matt,

Hi there,

Yeah I wasn't gonna try that, lol. This book is great minus that tiny lower right cover page. I wasn't about to mess it up.

I am always looking at selling my stuff for the right price, besides my ever growing modern walking dead collection;)

What were you thinking? I actually already had an offer from someone else when I posted. I would only break even on it with PayPal and shipping fees so I declined. I paid $675 for this about 6 months ago because of the condition and just was about to submit a bundle to cgc next week.

Best regards,

John

Hi John,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I'm surprised you paid $675 for it 6 months ago, that was before the Thanos hype made this book go crazy after Avengers came out.

Now obviously i have a vested interest in what i pay but as Joey said i see this book as a 9.0 because of the bottom left corner bump and the color breaking crease on the bottom right corner.

So i looked at completed sales for CGC graded 9.0's and they range from $598-$711.

If you paid $675 and then add in grading fees and shipping to and back from CGC as well as the long wait for them to grade it and then sell it slabbed you'll loose more money. If you get lucky with a 9.2 then after those costs as well as paypal and ebay fees you'll break even because CGC 9.2 prices are $760-$857 (the $857 was right after the movie came out, it's cooled off a bit now).

So either way it's not worth slabbing this book if you intend to sell. Just my 2c after you mentioned what you paid.

I would love to add this one to my collection but i wouldn't be able to pay more than you paid \:\(

I do have a raw 9.8 Walking Dead collection which i would hate to part with but we might be able to come to some trade agreement? But i'm not sure how it would work since we don't know each other.

If you go ahead and CGC it then please let me know and i'll pay full 12 month GPA in whatever grade it comes back. That way you won't have any fees to pay at least.

All the best with whatever you decide. It's a nice book and so is the Hulk 181

Matt

Matt,

Thanks for the input. If you decide you want for $675 let me know. I would have to charge $25 to ship it registered mail so I can insure and track it all the way to you. I love the book but personally thought I would get a 9.4 in comparing it to other books.

Best Regards,

John

Matt,

Are you interested in the Hulk book as well? We could work a package deal out if you like:)

I have more room to move on the Hulk but would only sell if someone wanted both. I have had the hulk stored away bagged/boarded so paid a lot less than what it is worth now.

Thanks but i already have a nice Hulk 181.

$700 is more than i wanted to pay but yeah lets do it. Please give me your paypal details.

Matt

So John do we have a deal? You asked $700 shipped and i said i would go for it but i noticed you removed yourself from the topic \(shrug\)

I would love to add it to my collection but if you've changed your mind please let me know so i can spend the money on something else \:\)

Matt

I've sent him this PM.

Matt

It's your decision but in my opinion your Option 2 is a bit heavy handed @ GPA 9.4 considering the grade discussion that led to the offer in the PM. I only state that opinion presuming he still has the book and wants to keep it.

Full PM exchange in spoilers

Here is the whole PM. No idea why you keep asking for it. It shows you went back on a deal. I also think based on your previous response that you lied about how much you paid for the book originally.

Hi i saw this in the PGM forum, i was wondering if you were looking to sell?

I hope you don't think it's rude of me to ask. Don't ask and you'll never know right?

Thanks regardless \:\)

Matt

P.S. Do NOT touch those with an eraser. What bad advise some people give

Matt,

Hi there,

Yeah I wasn't gonna try that, lol. This book is great minus that tiny lower right cover page. I wasn't about to mess it up.

I am always looking at selling my stuff for the right price, besides my ever growing modern walking dead collection;)

What were you thinking? I actually already had an offer from someone else when I posted. I would only break even on it with PayPal and shipping fees so I declined. I paid $675 for this about 6 months ago because of the condition and just was about to submit a bundle to cgc next week.

Best regards,

John

Hi John,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I'm surprised you paid $675 for it 6 months ago, that was before the Thanos hype made this book go crazy after Avengers came out.

Now obviously i have a vested interest in what i pay but as Joey said i see this book as a 9.0 because of the bottom left corner bump and the color breaking crease on the bottom right corner.

So i looked at completed sales for CGC graded 9.0's and they range from $598-$711.

If you paid $675 and then add in grading fees and shipping to and back from CGC as well as the long wait for them to grade it and then sell it slabbed you'll loose more money. If you get lucky with a 9.2 then after those costs as well as paypal and ebay fees you'll break even because CGC 9.2 prices are $760-$857 (the $857 was right after the movie came out, it's cooled off a bit now).

So either way it's not worth slabbing this book if you intend to sell. Just my 2c after you mentioned what you paid.

I would love to add this one to my collection but i wouldn't be able to pay more than you paid \:\(

I do have a raw 9.8 Walking Dead collection which i would hate to part with but we might be able to come to some trade agreement? But i'm not sure how it would work since we don't know each other.

If you go ahead and CGC it then please let me know and i'll pay full 12 month GPA in whatever grade it comes back. That way you won't have any fees to pay at least.

All the best with whatever you decide. It's a nice book and so is the Hulk 181

Matt

Matt,

Thanks for the input. If you decide you want for $675 let me know. I would have to charge $25 to ship it registered mail so I can insure and track it all the way to you. I love the book but personally thought I would get a 9.4 in comparing it to other books.

Best Regards,

John

Matt,

Are you interested in the Hulk book as well? We could work a package deal out if you like:)

I have more room to move on the Hulk but would only sell if someone wanted both. I have had the hulk stored away bagged/boarded so paid a lot less than what it is worth now.

Thanks but i already have a nice Hulk 181.

$700 is more than i wanted to pay but yeah lets do it. Please give me your paypal details.

Matt

So John do we have a deal? You asked $700 shipped and i said i would go for it but i noticed you removed yourself from the topic \(shrug\)

I would love to add it to my collection but if you've changed your mind please let me know so i can spend the money on something else \:\)

Matt

I don't know what the current GPA is but what would you think would be fair then? I'm open to suggestions. This came out of the blue after 6 months so i'm not looking to milk it. I just don't appreciate being lied to originally and then again these past few days and neither do other board members it seems.

Also the discussion on reaching our original price was based on peoples opinions in the PGM forum and before it was pressed.

Old post referenced.

Why always me :(

Although it may feel like that sometimes, don't ever get into that frame of thinking. The good transactions usually outpace the bad.

Signed,

Nasty Kitty

:cloud9:

I don't know what the current GPA is but what would you think would be fair then? I'm open to suggestions. This came out of the blue after 6 months so i'm not looking to milk it. I just don't appreciate being lied to originally and then again these past few days and neither do other board members it seems.

Also the discussion on reaching our original price was based on peoples opinions in the PGM forum and before it was pressed.

What would bring you the most satisfaction, which would involve a reasonable solution to the situation? That's what matters the most.

:foryou:

It is pretty sad that he lied, though.

Matt

I think Option 1 is your possible default expectation, and Option 3 is what you fall back on in the event he will not give up the book.

But for Hall of Shame, is that the appropriate solution as I thought HOS had to impact more than one forumite, or repeat offender status? It is proven he lied on this one book. Are there other transactions involved?

The following Board Members have been elected by the community to the

Probation List's "Hall of Shame" for gross misconduct as members in the

Marketplace Forum:

How is "gross misconduct" being defined for reference?

Isn't there a way to look at web pages from the past? Seems to me comicwiz or shin had talked about it in the past. Wonder if that would allow someone to look up an expired ebay page.

Oh, now you're interested? lol

So, you had a problem with tiger, but no problem with *spoon*?

doh!

I stood up for you, dickhole. It's not about me, it's about you. Unless you make it about me, in which case, FU.

Relax, tiger.

I think he was just trying to tell you that if you were a jungle cat it would be a Jag-u-ar.

Oh, very nice. (worship)

My only suggestion was to reduce the back out penalty if he's retaining the book - raw vs. graded price, private sale vs GPA, etc...

I don't know this soup-guy and my "gut feeling" is similar to others because of some of his attempts to avoid accountability, mislead or disappear. I don't think I've ever read any of his posts where he wasn't dodging grenades so that's the only thing he's got going for him. lol

Whatever decision you make is fine with me. I'm voicing my opinion on method of determining damages in general & I'm not taking any shenanigans into consideration - I think the damage "gap" between a raw 9.0 pressed to slabbed 9.4 is big on a back out between collectors - I'm sure others disagree with that.

I apologize if I haven't followed the timeline, or for not placing names to the aliases, but something isn't clear to me.

The part I'm not getting is during the PM exchange, why was the verdict reached that it would only hit a 9.0?

I'm looking at that point in the PM where there might have been some disagreement over what the book could get if pressed, which could also make a big difference in the value of the raw book.

It seems to me that steering the discussion in the direction that what the owner paid ($675 - and based on the suggested 9.0 grade) meant the owner might have overpaid.

So if the owner didn't complete the deal, seeing it in a 9.4 holder seems like the 9.0 suggestion was probably why they didn't want to sell the book at a break even price.

Matt

I think Option 1 is your possible default expectation, and Option 3 is what you fall back on in the event he will not give up the book.

But for Hall of Shame, is that the appropriate solution as I thought HOS had to impact more than one forumite, or repeat offender status? It is proven he lied on this one book. Are there other transactions involved?

Marketplace Forum:

What are the infractions which lead to a HOS recommendation?

To form a resolution to the situation, good and bad, it would be helpful to have this spelled out.

I've sent him this PM.

Matt

Re Option 2. I'm a little fuzzy on being paid for a 9.4, because of the talk about the corner crease and it being a 9.0 originally.

I agree that you should have a raw 9.0, unless you knew it would be a 9.4 if pressed and that's what you intended to buy?

Otherwise, I'm not sure about the big difference in price.

Also not sure that this qualifies for the Hall of Shame at this time, although that is certainly where this guy seems to be headed with his attitude.

I was thinking about a solution for transactions with no real solution...have we ever put someone on the list for a year? Perhaps that's an option to consider?

Matt

Marketplace Forum:

What are the infractions which lead to a HOS recommendation?

To form a resolution to the situation, good and bad, it would be helpful to have this spelled out.

Wasn't there an offer to pay FMV if the person got it pressed/graded themselves? Why shouldn't their be an option to pay FMV on a 9.4 (12 month GPA or whatever the owner feels is the value)? I can only imagine the bloodbath that would have ensued if the boardie found the book in a 9.4 holder, especially when during the good faith PM negotiations with the buyer, they were told it would only grade a 9.0.

I think in the end, we need to weigh out all the aspects of what took place, the experience level of the people involved, and what was actually discussed. To me, the optics of this situation appears to reveal the buyer steering the value with absolutes, and in a manner where they stood to benefit greatly from the deal, especially when assessing the actual outcome of the 9.4 grade it received. I think a remediation or settlement on the matter requires more elaboration and discussion on what actually took place. 2c

I've sent him this PM.

Matt

Re Option 2. I'm a little fuzzy on being paid for a 9.4, because of the talk about the corner crease and it being a 9.0 originally.

I agree that you should have a raw 9.0, unless you knew it would be a 9.4 if pressed and that's what you intended to buy?

Also not sure that this qualifies for the Hall of Shame at this time, although that is certainly where this guy seems to be headed with his attitude.

I was thinking about a solution for transactions with no real solution...have we ever put someone on the list for a year? Perhaps that's an option to consider?

Thanks Sharon. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that sees it this way.

Not to be partial to Anfield, but I do think he’s entirely in his own right to complain about this.

I don’t think grading has much to do with the case: the book’s owner at some point agreed to sell it to him, and read his response where Anfield accepted, so he owed Anfield AT LEAST a reply, if he changed his mind.

From his words it’s pretty apparent the seller did not care so much either about Thanos or Wolverine, but anyways…

Not only he did not reply, but he removed himself from the PM discussion? :sick:

I've sent him this PM.

Matt

Sharon, In my opinion it is less about the grade of the book (which, as is often the case, had its defects over-emphasized by the scanning process) and more about the fact that the actual book may be still in the possession of Soup1998. He backed out of a deal, told everyone to shove it, then came back when he started to see that there were certain people that won't deal with Probation Listers.

Then, in order to get off the list it looks like he lied about the sale of the book and concocted a story about what appears to be a non-existent sale to craft a "settlement" based upon untrue information. While I agree that it is unfair for AF to receive a windfall, it is pretty clear that he is entitled to far more than the damages agreed upon in the "settlement."

Perhaps Soup1998 has an explanation. I hope he does. But the fact that the book still may be in his possession makes the easiest remedy to provide the book to AF, and have AF cover all of the expenses incurred in pressing and slabbing it (with shipping).

I am not saying that is a perfect settlement, as I think you have raised valid concerns. But if the axe must fall to the benefit of one of the parties, I would prefer it be the blameless one.

Edited by seanfingh

Wasn't there an offer to pay FMV if the person got it pressed/graded themselves? Why shouldn't their be an option to pay FMV on a 9.4 (12 month GPA or whatever the owner feels is the value)? I can only imagine the bloodbath that would have ensued if the boardie found the book in a 9.4 holder, especially when during the good faith PM negotiations with the buyer, they were told it would only grade a 9.0.

I think in the end, we need to weigh out all the aspects of what took place, the experience level of the people involved, and what was actually discussed. To me, the optics of this situation appears to reveal the buyer steering the value with absolutes, and in a manner where they stood to benefit greatly from the deal, especially when assessing the actual outcome of the 9.4 grade it received. I think a remediation or settlement on the matter requires more elaboration and discussion on what actually took place. 2c

I don't think the pre-sale offer to pay GPA is relevant since a price was offered & accepted - this isn't about going back to the pre-nomination discussions this is about a guy coming off the list.

I do agree that the nominee was a n00b at the time and may have been inexperienced with regard to offer/acceptance being enough to be considered a deal. I don't feel as a community we have a role judging negotiation skills or tactics, I prefer that the nominator be given opinions to make his choice.

I do agree with a less punitive Option 2 and shared that opinion with the nominator.