• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ethics

132 posts in this topic

I absolutely HATE when people flip on the boards. I find it insulting, it's almost like thinking I dont pay attention.

It's a question of good manners, Pat.

Yes, they have every right to 'do what they want with the book once they've bought it'.

However, they are utterly classless to do it here, under the original seller's nose. (thumbs u

What if you buy it and notify the seller that it is for the intention of flipping he the seller states he doesn't care.

(shrug)

Contrary to popular belief, I am not here to start an argument, but are we really going to go through this yet again? You seem to be the only one intent on continually bringing this subject to the forefront of discussion.

Jim, it was not directed in any way to past events but since you brought it up I just want to say that I am moving forward and hopefully something good and positive can come out of this somewhat painful learning experience for all involved.

:foryou:

This is a discussion forum and I am simply trying to have an open discussion on ethics (since that is the topic at hand) and would like to know through discussion other people's opinions and more importantly their perceptions on the matter.

We can agree that community perception and opinion is important to understand, right?

Hence my focused questions to FT.

R.

Fair enough. (thumbs u

I look at it this way.

This board, this community, is my extended family of sorts. I've met some folk, but many I haven't, but regardless, the treatment I have received from the few I have has led me to consider all of you (apart from the scamming arseholes, obviously) as 'friends'.

And in my world, you make the least bit of money you can off friends. 'Mates rates' we call them in the UK, and that basically amounts to the least amount you can charge for the work that you put in.

Not what you could charge, but the least you could add on.

Different way of viewing things, I suppose. (shrug)

I am the complete opposite here Nick. i would prefer a friend make a few dollars off of me instead of a complete stranger buying off of ebay or another consignment site.

If I set the price and I get what I asked or am happy with...well thats pretty much it as far as I am concerned.

I look at it this way.

This board, this community, is my extended family of sorts. I've met some folk, but many I haven't, but regardless, the treatment I have received from the few I have has led me to consider all of you (apart from the scamming arseholes, obviously) as 'friends'.

And in my world, you make the least bit of money you can off friends. 'Mates rates' we call them in the UK, and that basically amounts to the least amount you can charge for the work that you put in.

Not what you could charge, but the least you could add on.

Different way of viewing things, I suppose. (shrug)

You need to spend your next vacation in Pennsyltucky. You'll soon learn that screwing your sister is just fine...., or maybe, the finest.

Thats a little further south. Pennsylvania are sheep :censored: ers.

Both male and female? :eek:

My sisters are all female, but I guess this is the new age...., :eek:

Reminds of an incident I had with a coworker.

We asked if he would have sex with a cow for $1MIL.

His reply?

"Is it a girl cow or a boy cow, cause I ain't doing no boy cow"

:roflmao:

I know i've mentioned this before but it's funny as hell and think it bears repeating.

The same guy was sweeping the back of the parts department.

We heard him scream like a girl. He jumped on top of a box.

We look over and ask what's wrong and he replies in a frantic voice "I just saw a mouse. I HATE reptiles!"

:roflmao:

I am the complete opposite here Nick. i would prefer a friend make a few dollars off of me instead of a complete stranger buying off of ebay or another consignment site.

If I set the price and I get what I asked or am happy with...well thats pretty much it as far as I am concerned.

Not really, you aren't. You qualified it by using the word "friend." You made a distinction between a friend and a stranger. That is the same thing Telepath is doing to a certain degree. He is applying his opinion to the idea of the board being a community.

...like it or not comics are a commodity and as long as they are purchased ethically there is no reason why you cant sell them the same day at a profit,...the key word here folks is ethicly....

e.g. purchasing a book on e-bay and selling it the day you receive it- ETHICAL

...bargaining with a dealer or board member in the guise to obtaining book for own personal collection and selling next day -UN-ETHICAL

.....for years I flipped ASM books purchased from E-bay and auction houses to fund my private collection....but it was in an open competitive market where the highest bidder won the book honestly,..well except maybe for some auction houses in the state of Texas, but I digress,....

...I used to purchase books from local dealers with uncirculated back stock who knew plain well that I would slab and sell them,...common sense prevails that I don't need 75 copies of X-men #266,...is that unethical?...no...bargaining for a price in this case is perfectly justified...the owner knows what my intent is and has the same opportunity to slab and sell them as I do...

....bottom line is flipping isn't unethical,...people are unethical...as long as the book is purchased with honesty and integrity there is no shame in flipping...

I'm secure in the knowledge that people who take advantage of someone's kindness will suffer in hell for all eternity. Press and flippers have a special niche there.

Pressers will be pressed themselves, by Hooksie, for all eternity in his George Foreman Waffle Iron....

I'm secure in the knowledge that people who take advantage of someone's kindness will suffer in hell for all eternity. Press and flippers have a special niche there.

I really don't think that is in tone with the rest of thread, Vincent.

...like it or not comics are a commodity and as long as they are purchased ethically there is no reason why you cant sell them the same day at a profit,...the key word here folks is ethicly....

e.g. purchasing a book on e-bay and selling it the day you receive it- ETHICAL

...bargaining with a dealer or board member in the guise to obtaining book for own personal collection and selling next day -UN-ETHICAL

.....for years I flipped ASM books purchased from E-bay and auction houses to fund my private collection....but it was in an open competitive market where the highest bidder won the book honestly,..well except maybe for some auction houses in the state of Texas, but I digress,....

...I used to purchase books from local dealers with uncirculated back stock who knew plain well that I would slab and sell them,...common sense prevails that I don't need 75 copies of X-men #266,...is that unethical?...no...bargaining for a price in this case is perfectly justified...the owner knows what my intent is and has the same opportunity to slab and sell them as I do...

....bottom line is flipping isn't unethical,...peopleare unethical...as long as the book is purchased with honesty and integrity there is no shame in flipping...

Exactly. 75 copies of X-Men 266, eh? :eek:

We're do the "tongue in cheek humor" people end up then?

hm

I absolutely HATE when people flip on the boards. I find it insulting, it's almost like thinking I dont pay attention.

It's a question of good manners, Pat.

Yes, they have every right to 'do what they want with the book once they've bought it'.

However, they are utterly classless to do it here, under the original seller's nose. (thumbs u

I have done that, but I PMed JiveTurkeyMoFo and told him what I was doing and how much I would be listing it at for sale on the boards.

And what sort of time frame are we looking at between purchase and sale? (shrug)

So where do you draw the line? People want to criticize others for doing something they perceive as wrong. Yet they are actually only choosing to draw the line in the sand at a different place. What is long enough? a month, 6 months, a year. In my opinion, if you are willing to shell out your hard earned cash, it is yours to do with as you choose.

What difference does it make anyway? If you sell something on the boards, you should either know what you are doing(there are certainly plenty of resources available online) or not complain about it later if you don't want to make the effort.

Now whether you should rub someone else's nose in it, or lie to get a better deal on the book, is a different story. That only goes so far and someone is going to rub your nose across your face.

I could care less if someone makes a profit flipping a book from me. I hope they do. Maybe they will come back and buy more books.

We're do the "tongue in cheek humor" people end up then?

hm

At a never-ending Kathy Griffin show.

-slym

I myself could care less if I post a book and a person buys it and flips it.

What I would not care for if someone gave me some BS story about this is the last book they need for their collection, but if I could knock off $XX dollars they could buy. If I did that and they flipped it they I'd be :censored:

If the buyer just PM'd me and said I'll take it for only this amount and I do the deal and they flipped it. Again to me that isn't a problem. They weren't lying to me. They weren't crying in their beer to me about how important the book is to them. They just wanted it at a lower price. If they then sold it at a higher price, well good for them. Just my 2c