• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ethics

132 posts in this topic

Unfortunately, I don't have the right words at this time to convey the sense, the nuance of what I mean really accurately, so I'll just muddle it: it's not about how others react to you...it's how YOU (the person in the mirror, whoever that is) behave.

No one can "force" classiness on someone else. Sure, a seller can adopt a great attitude and say "once it's gone, it's gone"...but if every buyer behaved with class, respect, and dignity, the issue would never come up in the first place.

That's, in my opinion, the real key to the whole debate.

And when one is a buyer, one should remember not to poop where one eats, and that people may not remember what you did, but they'll always remember how you made them feel. That great deal may not be available to you down the road if you behave decidedly UNclassy with someone.

(because ending with a bunch of cliches seemed appropriate. ;) )

Scenario 1: Buy something. Receive it. Turn around and sell it on another venue. Cool.

Scenario 2: Buy something. Before the seller sends it, sell it on another venue. Have seller send the book to that buyer. Not Cool.

Scenario 3: Tell Monta Ellis you're not drafting a point guard. Draft a point guard. Package a deal with Phoenix for Amare Stoudemire then... *oops* wrong forum. doh!

Scenario 3: Tell Monta Ellis you're not drafting a point guard. Draft a point guard. Package a deal with Phoenix for Amare Stoudemire then... *oops* wrong forum. doh!

:signofftopic: stephen curry fell right into the warriors lap. great pick! :banana:

Scenario 2: Buy something. Before the seller sends it, sell it on another venue. Have seller send the book to that buyer. Not Cool.

:o

No one can "force" classiness on someone else. Sure, a seller can adopt a great attitude and say "once it's gone, it's gone"...but if every buyer behaved with class, respect, and dignity, the issue would never come up in the first place.

We're not disagreeing here. Ideally, I would prefer it if people didn't act like d-bags. I'm reacting to how things are, not outlining how I think they should be. (shrug)

Scenario 1: Buy something. Receive it. Turn around and sell it on another venue. Cool.

4. Trade the #5 pick in a four player draft to the Timberwolves for Randy Foye. Feel pretty good about your trade and the ability to get rid of some bad contracts. Until one of those four players drops to the #5 pick. :frustrated:

Here's a situation; person A wants to buy a book from person B. Person A really wants the book, but he has spent a fotune this month on other stuff, and doesn't think he can swing the full price. He contacts person B, explains how much he genuinely wants the book, and asks for a discount. Person B reluctantly agrees, and the deal is done.

A couple of weeks later, person A's wife sees his credit card statement and goes apee. They get into a huge blowout about their finances. Person A, in order to keep harmony in his household, decides to action off all of his recent purchases, including the book he bought from person B. The book sells for SUBSTANTIALLY more than he paid.

Does this scenario explain all instances of flipping? Of course not. Does some variation of this scenario happen from time to time? Without a doubt.

Motives can be hard to decipher, especially when you're dealing with someone online. The best thing, IMO, is to sell for a price you can live with and forget about the book once it's gone. People have profited off of me in the past; god bless em'.

I already answered this in the other flipping thread...especially if it's a short period of time and the circumstances changed...the "right" thing to do, which would also be the "cool" thing to do is offer it back to the seller first and the sales price... doh!