• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ethics

132 posts in this topic

This board, this community, is my extended family of sorts. I've met some folk, but many I haven't, but regardless, the treatment I have received from the few I have has led me to consider all of you (apart from the scamming arseholes, obviously) as 'friends'.

I agree 100%. I think more of some of these individuals than I do my own family. Hell, I wouldn't drive 30 minutes to get my own brother out of jail, but I'll go cross country just to spend a long weekend with some of these guys.

You have to have priorities. What is more important; the ink and newsprint or the personal relationship? I understand that the books are the glue that helps bind everything together, but sometimes it evolves beyond that. That's worth more to me than any book or quick flip.

I think I have the same issue as Nick here. I look at alot of you guys as friends. We fight, we dont see eye to eye on things, but it generally works out. I have issues with people who are just here to post books and make money, and I have issues with those using "tactics" to get a better price to flip.

It really comes down to how you perceive the people here that you are interacting with. I have had issues with many poeple here (not that many). But I dont hold a grudge, nobody has really "wronged me" we have just had tiffs.

Other people just view myself, and the people I am speaking of as a source of income. I generally dont speak with, or deal with those folks.

This board, this community, is my extended family of sorts. I've met some folk, but many I haven't, but regardless, the treatment I have received from the few I have has led me to consider all of you (apart from the scamming arseholes, obviously) as 'friends'.

I agree 100%. I think more of some of these individuals than I do my own family. Hell, I wouldn't drive 30 minutes to get my own brother out of jail, but I'll go cross country just to spend a long weekend with some of these guys.

You have to have priorities. What is more important; the ink and newsprint or the personal relationship? I understand that the books are the glue that helps bind everything together, but sometimes it evolves beyond that. That's worth more to me than any book or quick flip.

:golfclap: :golfclap:

Stated perfectly Doc :luhv:

I don't think that buying books off these boards or community

with the sole purpose to flip is very cool. I worry about sellers

that offer some bargain prices seeing their books flipped will

eventually cease to offer these bargain prices.

I think a big part of the flippers collecting fun is chasing after

deals and selling for a profit. I know they are alot smarter than

me and always will be. :acclaim:

What was the name of this thread again?

Sorry for the soap box. :blush:

To me, ethics is best described as, "What would I do if I knew that no one would ever find out?" Unfortunately, I have dropped the ball a few times in life. I still regret a few of those decisions. Anyway. Life lessons. Moving on for the most part.

I absolutely HATE when people flip on the boards. I find it insulting, it's almost like thinking I dont pay attention.

It's a question of good manners, Pat.

Yes, they have every right to 'do what they want with the book once they've bought it'.

However, they are utterly classless to do it here, under the original seller's nose. (thumbs u

I have done that, but I PMed JiveTurkeyMoFo and told him what I was doing and how much I would be listing it for sale on the boards.

And what sort of time frame are we looking at between purchase and sale? (shrug)

Four months and a week.

I'm good with that. (thumbs u

What I'm talking about is those who purchase with the sole intention of immediately flipping. You don't qualify, Jim...unless you're inordinately lazy. :insane:

This is supposed to be a community...but to many, it's simply a source of income. :(

Thank you Telepath!! This was more of the intent to my original post.....I saw a transaction go down like this very recently....and It really rubbed me the wrong way I guess....to each his own, but I just wanted everyone's opinions on the matter

I see A LOT of good sellers that post books, IMO, that seem to be under priced to give "board members" some great deals because of the love of the hobby and not so much for profit. I would like to think the "bigger" seller(s) know that some of the books listed are under priced as well... which could be viewed IMO as a "favor for boardies" before it goes to another venue at a higher "fair market" value....

So, I can see both sides of this fence as long as It's done "tastefully" ?

And what sort of time frame are we looking at between purchase and sale? (shrug)

I haven't read this whole thread but, to me, this is the where the ethical issue comes up.

Once you buy the book, it's yours. You can do whatever you want. But, it's pretty classless to buy a book here and turn around a week or two later and flip it.

Once you get past a month or so, do what you please. But, pretty weak to buy and attempt an immediate flip (unless it's some sort of bulk deal).

Another one of those "grey areas" we always seem to be running in to.

I have no qualms, whatsoever, about someone flipping a book they bought from me in any given time frame after they purchased it. 5 minutes, 5 days, 5 years...I don't care. And, I have no qualms about flipping something that I purchased, in any given time frame. Truthfully, I'd love to see someone make a quick flip on something I sell them, if that was their intention.

So...many....words....can't...read...them....all.....

Sorry for the soap box. :blush:

To me, ethics is best described as, "What would I do if I knew that no one would ever find out?" Unfortunately, I have dropped the ball a few times in life. I still regret a few of those decisions. Anyway. Life lessons. Moving on for the most part.

No, it was a very good statement. And getting to know you a little bit I believe exactly what you had stated.

And even though I dont know exactly what you "dropped the ball on", you learned something, and reflect on that lesson. That just shows you have some sort of judgement between right and wrong. Its the guy who doesnt see the wrong that I worry about (or avoid)

I have made poor decisions at times, but I learned ALOT from the decisions I made. It made me a better person, unfortunately when I think of myself in "those days" I didnt find myself that good of a person. But I changed what I needed to and am perfectly fine with who I am, and what I do.

I look at it this way.

And in my world, you make the least bit of money you can off friends. 'Mates rates' we call them in the UK, and that basically amounts to the least amount you can charge for the work that you put in.

Not what you could charge, but the least you could add on.

Different way of viewing things, I suppose. (shrug)

You need to spend your next vacation in Pennsyltucky. You'll soon learn that screwing your sister is just fine...., or maybe, the finest.

I look at it this way.

And in my world, you make the least bit of money you can off friends. 'Mates rates' we call them in the UK, and that basically amounts to the least amount you can charge for the work that you put in.

You need to spend your next vacation in Pennsyltucky. You'll soon learn that screwing your sister is just fine...., or maybe, the finest.

Thats a little further south. Pennsylvania are sheep :censored: ers.

I look at it this way.

Both male and female? :eek:

Here's a question though along these lines:

A person buys a collection / group of comics but really only wants say 1 or 2 issues from the entire lot. S/He breaks up the lot, and the flips all of the other books they didn't want here on boards--maybe making more money than they sold for, maybe breaking even, or maybe just defraying the costs. So what do you think: is this kosher or no?

If anyone buys something from me, they can sell it the next minute for 10x what they paid me for it. It isn't my book anymore, it is theirs.

Fine.

That's how you view this venue.

I've always viewed it differently.

That's cool too. (thumbs u

I'm not even thinking we need to agree to disagree, as I'm not really disagreeing with you - the minute I sell something I stop thinking about it entirely.

A person buys a collection / group of comics but really only wants say 1 or 2 issues from the entire lot. S/He breaks up the lot, and the flips all of the other books they didn't want here on boards--maybe making more money than they sold for, maybe breaking even, or maybe just defraying the costs. So what do you think: is this kosher or no?

Who owns the books during this sale?

I look at it this way.

Both male and female? :eek:

My sisters are all female, but I guess this is the new age...., :eek:

+1 sort of. I think I understand what you are trying to say.

I'm not sure what you mean exactly by the first part. Do you mean that being ethical is best described as acting the same whether the world is watching or not?

R.

The only time I've ever flipped anything here was a few years ago and related to a deal with Jeff (NearMint).

He posted a run of Silver/Bronze DDs in batches of ten...#21 through #30, #31 through #40. No immediate interest, so I made an offer on all the batches and told him I would break them down and sell them as individual issues on my grades and prices.

Unless he posts to the contrary, I think everything was fine and everyone ended up a winner. (thumbs u