• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Where are all the vintage Transformers covers?

32 posts in this topic

So few on CAF, sometimes it's sobering to realize how much comic art is in private, non-CAF collections. Anyway, in honor of T2 figured I'd ask this pointless question. While not a great film, the movie made me...what's that word comic art fans use all the time...nostalgic.

There was one for sale on CAF a bit ago pretty cheap I thought. I tossed the idea around and almost bought it but money was tight at the time. Wish I would have found a way to make it work now.

Oops, just noticed that the same seller has a page from Transformers #3, page 4 with art by Frank Springer also on offer on ebay with 9 hours to go till the auction ends! Best,

I have saved several images of TF artwork that I've encountered on the Internet over the years. Just yesterday, I was browsing through roughly a dozen various TF Marvel covers. Sadly, I don't know where most of them are now.

Off the top of my head, some of the original cover artwork I have scans of:

TF #7 (Megatron and Ratchet)

TF #20 (Skids and Megatron)

TF #21 (Aerialbots over America -- on Ebay two years ago)

TF #56 (Decepticon Micromasters)

TF #65 (Sinkevitch Pretender Grimlock cover)

TF #67 (Jim Lee's Galvatron cover -- I do know where this one is... *sigh*)

TF Universe #3 (The front cover with the Dinobots, not the back cover with Shockwave that just appeared on eBay last week --- which I won :) )

Umm, there's a vintage (?) Herb Trimpe Marvel Transformers cover (Transformers Universe #4 cover, dated 1987) currently on offer on ebay - http://cgi.ebay.com/MARVEL-TRANSFORMERS-UNIVERSE-4-COVER-ART-HERB-TRIMPE_W0QQitemZ330339813462QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4ce9c98856&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1205%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Does that one count? :) Best,

Royd

Sure, it absolutely counts, although I already saw it. :) I remember those Transformers Universe comics with the profiles on all the bots. I think that particular issue of mine had a ton of water damage since I took it out to the back yard as a reference while I was aligning my TF's against one another. Ah the memories of robot carnage.

I found some of the original artwork to the Transformers themselves (the boxes and cards that came with the toys) on a toy dealers website. Brian's Toys. They are pretty cool but priced higher than I am willing to pay.

Astotrain is 4.5k

Blitzwing is 4.5k

Metroplex is 10k

Micromasters is 3k

Omega Supreme is 10k

Roadbuster is 3.5k

Skylinx is 7.5k

Whirl is 3.5k

I have the GI Joe and the Transformers #1 cover by Trimpe & Colletta:

Original Joe/TF Cover Art

I wouldn't mind having an early TF cover someday but I think I'm content with the above cover.

I believe the cover painting for TF #5 is still in a private collection (never saw the scan/pic though). I'd *love* to own that....Shockwave is so badass.

I have the GI Joe and the Transformers #1 cover by Trimpe & Colletta:

Original Joe/TF Cover Art

I wouldn't mind having an early TF cover someday but I think I'm content with the above cover.

I believe the cover painting for TF #5 is still in a private collection (never saw the scan/pic though). I'd *love* to own that....Shockwave is so badass.

TF #5 was featured in the 88MPH/Image Transformers: Genesis book. *drool*

And congrats on getting the G.I. Joe / Transformers #1 cover. That's an iconic cover to say the least. I've toyed (pardon the pun) with buying the #2 cover, but other purchases keep taking priority.

I found some of the original artwork to the Transformers themselves (the boxes and cards that came with the toys) on a toy dealers website. Brian's Toys. They are pretty cool but priced higher than I am willing to pay.

Astotrain is 4.5k

Blitzwing is 4.5k

Metroplex is 10k

Micromasters is 3k

Omega Supreme is 10k

Roadbuster is 3.5k

Skylinx is 7.5k

Whirl is 3.5k

Those are cool! They're definitely too pricey, considering the lack of background; however, if they had Megatron, I might have to throw down for it.

Astotrain is 4.5k

Blitzwing is 4.5k

Metroplex is 10k

Micromasters is 3k

Omega Supreme is 10k

Roadbuster is 3.5k

Skylinx is 7.5k

Whirl is 3.5k

Those are cool! They're definitely too pricey, considering the lack of background; however, if they had Megatron, I might have to throw down for it.

I actually don't think the prices are that bad compared to the prices on some comic art. After all they are the real illustrations to the actual boxes of the actual toys. The real deal.. whereas the comics are just not that important. I agree re the #5 cover though, that's the first one I would want.