• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Worst gimmicky covers of the 1990's

137 posts in this topic

And what were they asking $3.95 for it or something like that?

$2.50 - you can see it on the pics above... :baiting:

Don't get me wrong - that was the 2nd highest price for a mainstream book at the time. Dang Venom #1 with the red holo-foil cover was $2.95, and is what I blame for starting the entire "special cover craze."

-slym

What came first - 1) Spider-Man 1 (multi-covers), X-Men 1 (multi-covers), or Venom 1?

I thought Spider-Man came first, but could be wrong.

Peter Parker, Spectacular Spider-man 195. Shrink wrapped with a tape and a magazine, apparently 'Dirt Bag' magazine. I seem to think that 'Whatcha Want' by the Beastie Boys was included on that tape; Yes, I had this version and I opened it: huge fan of the DeMatteis/Bucsema run on PPSS.

http://www.milehighcomics.com/cgi-bin/backissue.cgi?action=fullsize&issue=60930948398%20195%20DIRTBAG

Written by J.M. DeMatteis, Pencils by Sal Buscema.

This issue was part of a 3 issues series-in-a-series, which made up part 3 of the Kravens Last Hunt/Child Within/Death of Vermin saga.

There was more than just that issue, I have 2 sealed bagged sets with different comics in it along with the Dirt magazine and cassette.

Peter Parker, Spectacular Spider-man 195. Shrink wrapped with a tape and a magazine, apparently 'Dirt Bag' magazine. I seem to think that 'Whatcha Want' by the Beastie Boys was included on that tape; Yes, I had this version and I opened it: huge fan of the DeMatteis/Bucsema run on PPSS.

http://www.milehighcomics.com/cgi-bin/backissue.cgi?action=fullsize&issue=60930948398%20195%20DIRTBAG

Written by J.M. DeMatteis, Pencils by Sal Buscema.

This issue was part of a 3 issues series-in-a-series, which made up part 3 of the Kravens Last Hunt/Child Within/Death of Vermin saga.

There was more than just that issue, I have 2 sealed bagged sets with different comics in it along with the Dirt magazine and cassette.

Yes, I seem to recall there were 3 different Marvel comics packaged that way that month, but that is all that my comic shop carried at that time. I couldn't tell you the other titles... the sands of time.

Anyone have the lame-O FF that is all white & embossed from when the torch went "Super-Nova"? lol:sick:

Ooh! Ooh! And they had an all-red 2nd print, too!!!

lol

-slym

82370.jpg.b21cf315c6baed1763766305f1b3a543.jpg

82371.jpg.e4509bb027cf2ec948ded230e8256c6d.jpg

What came first - 1) Spider-Man 1 (multi-covers), X-Men 1 (multi-covers), or Venom 1?

Spider-man #1 was first, but the art was the same on all variants (only color changes).

X-Men #1 was next, with cover art differences on the variants.

Venom #1 had a "non-paper" effect of holo-foil-whatever.

Lots of other "gimmicky" books between X-Men #1 and Venom #1.

WildCats #2 comes to mind.

82373.jpg.f7ee1a62cfa6d09d4b0dd63ba1a3c6d4.jpg

Spider-man #1 was first, but the art was the same on all variants (only color changes).

X-Men #1 was next, with cover art differences on the variants.

Venom #1 had a "non-paper" effect of holo-foil-whatever.

Lots of other "gimmicky" books between X-Men #1 and Venom #1.

WildCats #2 comes to mind.

"Lots", indeed. Don't forget we're talking about a period of more than a year, smack dab in the middle of the gimmicks craze!

Off the top of my head, between X-Men #1 and Venom #1, there were:

ASM #365

Spectacular #189

Web #90

Silver Surfer #50

Silver Surfer #75

Guardians Of The Galaxy #25

Wolverine #50

Ghost Rider #15

Punisher War Zone #1

WildC.A.T.S #2

Bloodshot #1

Shadowhawk #1

Shadowhawk #3 (Not absolutely sure about this one. It might have been a bit later than Venom #1.)

And lots of others, I'm sure. hm

Ya know what I love: on the cover of SSM #189, it proclaims, "The Final Battle with the Green Goblin!"

And just who is he fighting on the cover of SSM #200? :P

Ya know what I love: on the cover of SSM #189, it proclaims, "The Final Battle with the Green Goblin!"

I think he was already back a couple of issues before that, actually. lol

Surprisingly, though, these issues were not that bad, especially compared to the mediocrity of the other Spider-Man titles of the era (or Marvel titles in general).

Of course, I haven't read them in almost 15 years, but I distinctly remember J.M. DeMatteis's issues of Spectacular being way better that Michelinie's ASMs.

Maybe the fight lasted 12 issues? (shrug)

I thought Legends of the Dark Night #1 was before Spider-man #1, but I could be wrong.

It was. (thumbs u Published in late '89.

I forgot about that one... this discussion and the "Celebrate the FOIL covers" topic

are making me want to compile the list with dates and then make a graphic timeline.

hm

Maybe the fight lasted 12 issues? (shrug)

think its lasted 45 years really. death doesnt get in the way of their rivalry :D

...and someone needs to post a Wolverine 50

Figured it would have been done by now, but here's the gruesome cover in question.

50-2.jpg

I have a copy of that issue

So do I.

Well yes, but do you have 100 copies of that issue? ^^

doh!:sorry:

If you have 100 copies of that book your not a ^^

your a loser.JPG