• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-Men2 Splash

271 posts in this topic

Okay Felix, let's review a few points:

1- I never offered this piece to anyone for $200K, ever, so as per usual, you're shooting your mouth off without knowing facts. The last time it was quoted at $100K for me to part with it was years ago...so nice guess, but no prize...

Why on earth would you even CARE so much about what I sell art for and to who, do you want to see me naked too? Is that you outside my window? Do you stalk dealers and other collectors with a notepad TMZ style?

2- If you "respect Mike", then you have a funny way of showing it...but then again, it seems par for the course for you to slam folks...

3- As for what the piece sells or trades for? I personally don't care, as it's not mine anymore...It's a great piece that I enjoyed for a few years, and now it was time for someone else to enjoy it, sell it, or do what they wished with it...Hey, want to say it's still mine? That'd be okay, I'd get paid twice on it, and then I'm a REALLY happy camper. But again, it so mystifies my as to why you'd even care so much about it to dedicate your life to it, but have fun...lol:)

4- You claim I don't buy what I like? That my wantlist is just for merchandise for me to search out and flip? Oh PUH-LEASE...what an idiotic statement to make! I have been known for YEARS as a person searching out art specific to what I like, be it Buckler covers, Milgrom covers, etc. some pieces that nobody else has even the most remote interest in (Shogun Warriors covers anyone? Freedom Fighters? Secret Society of Super Villains?) I was buying 1970s art when NOBODY wanted it...just ask ANY dealer, as they all thought I was crazy in what I bought, but I bought what I liked...Sure I have sold some cool art to buy other art, who HASN'T, as have YOU, and as has ANYONE, even the "biggest collectors" have sold art from their collections for offers they can't refuse, trade upgrades, family emergencies, etc...tastes change, wants change, babies are born, etc etc...

If you're trying to hold it against me that I have sold art from my collection to buy other art, then I'm guilty as EVERYONE ELSE in this hobby...

5- I try to "pump" George Perez covers at $90K? Huh...well, I HAVE sold some Perez art in high-end private deals that you'll never know about, but again, you don't collect this stuff, so, my business is not yours now is it...? :)

I have also in MANY instances paid MANY times the market value of certain pieces just to get it...and sometimes I've even taken a loss on a piece to buy another piece that I liked more...nature of the hobby dude...

But again, is your life so dull that you care so much about what I do in mine? Do we need to get you laid...? I can get you a girl, I've got plenty...

6- "Dealers who pretend to be collectors"? Dude, I am more of a true collector than you will EVER DREAM to be...I've been at it longer and fought harder to get specific art that I like...don't even try to say I'm not a collector...

And like I said, most collectors HAVE sold pieces to fund other art...including YOU, so who are you KIDDING...???? Pot calls kettle black...I've seen you sell art in the past too...who HASN'T???

7- Profiles in History- Yup, I have bought sold/art with Joe Maddalena (my best friend), and I have helped also Joe buy art as well for his own business to sell...some he's owned, some I've owned...something wrong with that?

Would you also like to badmouth Joe Maddalena too? Hmmm...I'd like to see you do it...

8- So I guess from the way you speak, *you're* the "self-appointed embassador of the hobby" Felix? Well, I just LOVE how you've "welcomed" a few collectors in the past, who are NOW well-respected, but of course you SLAMMED them when they came into the hobby...nice job there "Mr Welcome Wagon"...

9- No, I don't have a CAF, I show my art to people I'm friends with if they want to see it at one of my art gatherings...or other social events...there's no "crime" in not having a CAF is there? Or is that also a problem for you? There are a LOT of high-end collectors without a CAF...more than you know...

10- CRISIS COVERS- Eastman got them from Perez, I got them from Eastman, and kept them for YEARS before I broke up the set (except the few covers I kept for myself), and it was mostly from pressure of other collectors begging me to part with a few of them, so now, many collectors enjoy them as I enjoy the few I kept...is there a problem with that? To you Felix, apparently there is... (I guess you'd better surrender your #8 cover Hari...sorry buddy...) So do you want to badmouth Eastman too? After all, he told Perez he wanted them for his collection and then sold them to me...

11- PEREZ AVENGERS covers from the 3rd series- Lovitz bought all the interiors in advance, I bought all the covers in advance...eventually (after years of keeping them) my tastes changed, and I slowly traded some and sold some to folks that had asked me for years to do so...made a bunch of collectors happy...so keeping art for years, and parting with some of it is a "ruse" Felix? Really? Hmmm...interesting...So now anyone who parts with art they bought is a scammer now, or is it just me? Is Lovitz running a "ruse" too, as he's sold a lot of art from his collection, including those Perez Avengers interiors...

While we're on the subject of selling art, as most in the hobby know, there was a time (when I sold my Crisis covers and a lot of X-Men art) that I sold a LOT of my art simply to pay for my mother's cancer treatments to keep her alive...It was well-documented in the Dec 2004 issue of Playboy...is that scummy too Felix, or should I have let my mother die because it cost six-figures to keep her alive, and a chunk of my collection had to pay for it? Should I have kept my art instead so I can prove to a well-respected judge-of-collectors like you what a true "collector" I am? Hmmm...maybe...maybe...

12- Your sole purpose in life- Apparently is to whine about what YOU don't "have use for" in the hobby...and really Felix, who cares...? I personally couldn't give a frog's fat bozak what you think... :)

13- I could go on and on about all the BS and smack-talk you do about me Felix, so apparently it IS something personal, so I'd be more than happy to have you say all your chatter to my face at SD, so yes indeed, "see ya in two weeks".

Having once been the owner of three Kirby Splash pages to X-Men 5, 9 & 11. X-Men 2 has always been one of my favorite. I definitely would loved to have owned this one. I think 2 and 5 are equally powerful images and of course who wouldn't want to own X-Men 1 splash. Early Splash pages from Avengers 1-8, Hulk 1-6, FF 1-16, Jim 83-84,85 etc are always going to be highly sort after by somebody. We are talking the early history of all these Marvel characters drawn by one of its co-creators. That is a powerful combination. If I had the capacity to spend $150 K on the X-Men 2 splash (Its the 2nd app.of the X-Men !), I would.

Each to their own

Clem

While everything about this thread is sooooo out of league it's not even funny.

Gotta say this about MB, his prices might be sky rocket high, but if youve amassed enough art, through the magic of trade you can get anything affordably. I got a Bremajo Daredevil cover (which he priced at 4k) for what worked out too 1800 worth of art in trade (my cost price on the pieces, some I did get a good deal on) IMO I got the cover for around whats its worth, and less than what it originally sold for from LB's rep... Mike, didnt even blink at my trade offer. Just "sure!"

And Ive been doing trades like this with him for the past 5 years. He has yet not turn down one of my offers. :applause:

Anyways, just thought I'd say my piece. Now I'll let everyone get back to :slapfight: while I craw back to my small corner of the comic art web world. :cloud9:

.... thought I'd chime in as someone who used to own this splash. It does not need to be restored, in fact, it already has been. What it seriously needs is a new photo! It is crystal clean and creamy white and much better looking than that photo... maybe I have a scan around here somewhere to send to Mike...

:o

Great splash. While it may not be as significant as page 1 issue 1, artistically, I think this issue 2 splash is better.

I would spring for the extra bucks to have the art professionally cleaned though. Something this nice deserves to be restored.

They don't call Kirby "the King" for nothing.

(worship)

Cheers!

N

SDCC is almost here. I can't wait to see this in person. :banana:

I don't have to own the art to appreciate it.

I am going to chime in myself. Full disclosure, this page is WAY beyond my spending realm, but I would say this about the page and pricing.

1. Key Marvel title from a very early issue

2. Entire team in image and pretty large (I can only imagine how spectacular it is in person!)

3. Drawn by one of the best known Marvel artist

4. It is a splash (nuff said!)

I would say that puts the page in the A+++ category

Now as far as pricing, if I am buying, 5k sounds about right (Please note, I am kidding of course)

If I owned this myself and was going to sell it, I have no idea what I would price it at. It is a just plain amazing page of art. I think the starting Price Mike has it listed at is fine. If you think it is out of line, don't buy it. My hope would be that he gets what he wants out of it and it ends up in someones collection for a long time. I am just glad I got to snag the photo of the page to enjoy looking at again and again.

Felix and Jon,

You guys need to take a break and relax. This is a hobby, and no lives are at stake here. People collect in different ways, with different tastes and styles. Some have plenty of money and can pay all-cash, others need to be more creative. Sometimes the creativity seems distasteful to some, while perfectly fine to others.

I suggest we move on.

Hari

All I want to say is....

Kirby X-Men Splash...are you kidding me....wow...super nice !

And I also would SO LOVE to see what else you guys own.

How do you get invited to one of those art gatherings in Hollywood...lol...

Honestly. Everyone appreciates art in their own way.

Different taste. Thank god there is different taste....

So. What do I need to do to get to one of those art gatherings....the one where you show the special pieces....????

You can PM me....

Bottom line is...it is without doubt a Great Piece Of "historical" art.

Thanks for sharing it. I appreciate it.

Whether it is marked at 150 K, 100K or 200 K.....or only to a few selected people.

Thanks and credit to Kirby for creating those pieces, without them we all would probalbly not be in this forum talking about them !!!

I don't have any "personal" issue with you, Jon. I just know you're more than the Pauly Shore-level comedy stylings on Comicart-L.

Jon may be more than that, but he is THAT person as well! :kidaround:

Dave "I survived rooming with Makuta" M.

Felix and Jon,

You guys need to take a break and relax. This is a hobby, and no lives are at stake here. People collect in different ways, with different tastes and styles. Some have plenty of money and can pay all-cash, others need to be more creative. Sometimes the creativity seems distasteful to some, while perfectly fine to others.

I suggest we move on.

Hari

Hari,

To be clear, I have no problem with what or how people collect...unless those people take advantage of others in the process. That's not just being "creative". Even if you don't care about the individual victims, it's still bad for the hobby as a whole.

It is amazing to me that in a hobby this small, certain actions are allowed to go unchecked, and no one is willing to speak up.

No matter what area of the hobby it is we're talking about, we're all better off educated. Agreed?

Sorry you won't be making it to SD this year, I always enjoy our conversations.

Felix

No question great piece.

150k does seem high to me. Based only on my personal choice of how I'd spend my 150k spending spree. I've always been a covers over splash page kinda guy.

As far as splashes go I have to admit this one does kick some serious arse.

Which brings up a good question. What can you buy for 150k?

Can you buy a Frazetta painting?

What is the best cover one might hope for at 150K ?

How many Sandman covers can one hope for on a 150k spending spree?

For those who like newer grail pages how many Killing Joke or Watchmen pages would 150K get you?

Felix and Jon,

I suggest we move on.

Hari

Hari,

To be clear, I have no problem with what or how people collect...unless those people take advantage of others in the process. That's not just being "creative". Even if you don't care about the individual victims, it's still bad for the hobby as a whole.

It is amazing to me that in a hobby this small, certain actions are allowed to go unchecked, and no one is willing to speak up.

No matter what area of the hobby it is we're talking about, we're all better off educated. Agreed?

Sorry you won't be making it to SD this year, I always enjoy our conversations.

Felix

Hi Felix,

Really wish I could go to SD, but we just had a baby (our first!) and that is taking all priority at the moment (for good reason!). Rest assured I'll be there next year.

I agree completely with what you say, and I've certainly seen people get taken advantage of in this hobby, moreso lately. But, so often everything is 3rd person hearsay. It is rare if ever that someone comes on and says "So and so did this directly to me." If that happens, then people take note, and rightfully so. Anything short of that just seems pointless and equivocal at best and libelous at worst. If you know folks who have been directly wronged, I would suggest you have them speak up.

Hari

Sure...this could all be settled with a little talk with George Perez and see what he has to say...I'm sure he is on these boards right now. Why wouldn't he be? George? What do you have to say about all of this?

Hari,

I also am saddened you won't be at SD this year, but big congrats on the kid...

As for Felix, he's the type of person that is always crying, but was never there, and as I can tell by the amount of emails I've gotten in the past day, he has pissed off QUITE a few folks in the past and done his own share of BS in this hobby, yet is quick to accuse others...

All this thread was is Clem pointing out that Burkey now has my former splash and how nice it is. Felix deciding the world is not the way his widdle self likes it, must protest and start smack-talking about me yet AGAIN (as this is not the first time, but I assure you it will be the last), that will eventually land him in over his head I assure you...

Mind you Felix has NEVER done any sort of deal with me in his life himself...

But he's a bored little troll with a big mouth...

I may take you up on your offer Mitch...

As for my art gatherings in Hollywood, I have them about twice a year, it's open invite to ALL collectors, big, small, old art and newer sketches...ALL are welcome in my home to enjoy the hobby, share art, and enjoy some fun...I always make public announcements on the board when I have one...you are most certainly welcome...

What Perez would say is what he said when myself and Lovitz first bought all his Avengers art to the new series:

"Jonathan and Michael have comitted to buy all art for the first 50 issues of the title...good for me"

:)