• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-Men2 Splash

271 posts in this topic

because only a few care.. and to be honest.. whose business is it anyway except Jon's & Mike's??

Well..to be honest, Jon was the one who made it a point of contention. He was the one who took issue with Felix over this . Jon made it a topic to be discussed and thus our 'business.' And if you don't care, stop reading the thread.

hey spoon... if you aren't going to like the answers..... don't ask the questions

hey spoon... if you aren't going to like the answers..... don't ask the questions

hey SPOON (lol), why do you assume i wouldn't like the answer? i don't give a what the answer was. i just wanted him to ANSWER the question. after jumping into this thread guns ablazin, he avoided the question put to him directly by felix and then when i asked, he and chuck tried to change the subject.

the issue was whether he was commenting on his own piece here in this thread. if the answer is that he doesn't own it, fine. if he does own it while telling us otherwise? then he is a lying sack of sh#t.

and to the poster slym regarding my 'trolling', i will say that is the first time i've ever been accused of that! :) i'm a serial lurker and i thought being a lurker and a troll were mutually exclusive things. i guess not. don't you have to actually post to be a troll? i have what? 100 posts here in 4 years . it'd be another matter if i had over 4000 posts in less than a year. then i would say i would look like a troll. also, i thought trolls were usually anonymous. my caf link is below and many in the comic art community in the nyc area know me by name or by face. i started collecting comic art around 1986 (maybe longer than jon and many others in his "sandbox"). i am not a keyboard warrior or whatever it's called. there are several prominent posters on this board who will gladly tell you that i speak my mind in person as well as online.

it's funny, i'm accused of these nasty things when if you go through the thread, it was jon who got personal over a piece he claimed he doesn't own, and you richard who resorted to calling me whatever the cgc board censored. i just wonder why everyone is so sensitive. and why the two people who accused me of beating a dead horse are the ones who continue posting in the thread?

like many who have posted, i really don't care what happens to this piece of art. do i think it's worth what jon thinks? no. according to a post by dan forman in the giant size xmen thread, jon purchased it from him for $50,000 in cash and trade a few years ago. (whether that is true or not, i don't know, that is what dan forman wrote). this is not what i collect and even if it was, i don't have $150,000 lying around to spend on it. lol

i do think it's a damn cool page but not something i would have a 'heart attack' over like the giant size xmen cover that dave mandel just posted! :P

because only a few care.. and to be honest.. whose business is it anyway except Jon's & Mike's??

Well..to be honest, Jon was the one who made it a point of contention. He was the one who took issue with Felix over this . Jon made it a topic to be discussed and thus our 'business.' And if you don't care, stop reading the thread.

I realize you felt compelled to reply in order to try to save face, but what you wrote literally makes no sense.

It's also highly ironic since you asked Lambert a question...and didn't like the answer.

:makepoint:

Nexus.. you obviously cannot read.. Lambo asked the question and I answered it.. you just didnt go back far enough to see it.. (just a couple more posts back.. go back.. go back.. that's it..).. oops..

but to go further.. this is one of the things that is wrong with the comics hobby today.. a bunch of juveniles in a sewing circle spreading rumors and stories that were told to you by "your cousin's neighbor's brother's sister's husband who knew asome else's brother's sister's husband" or some equally distant source.

get your facts, and most of all.. some of you.. grow up.

I know Jon and I know a number of other people in this thread.. I trust Jon's chat way more than quite a number of you. He says he doesn't own the X-Men #2 splash.. I suspect he doesn't own the X-Men #2 splash.. His words were not clear enough to you??

Actually, I said he 'came close' to my 50k asking... *sniff*. I would love to have had the extra *k's to spend but just couldn't get anyone to pony up... And, it was all trade.... but good trade. I actually converted the trade to cash in fairly short order and thereby made a few other collectors very happy... (They were good pieces as would be expected to come from Chez Mankuta. It was a pleasure dealing with him!)

Actually, I said he 'came close' to my 50k asking... *sniff*. I would love to have had the extra *k's to spend but just couldn't get anyone to pony up... And, it was all trade.... but good trade. I actually converted the trade to cash in fairly short order and thereby made a few other collectors very happy... (They were good pieces as would be expected to come from Chez Mankuta. It was a pleasure dealing with him!)

Hi Dan:

Oops, I'm sorry I misread your post. Thanks for clarifying. Yeah, I suppose that was awhile ago when a few k went a long way, too! Man, I remember when $100 was a lot to pay for a cover! Sheesh!

Great post, btw, I think you made some very good points about the relative values of that cover versus this page. Thanks. :)

Lambert

but to go further.. this is one of the things that is wrong with the comics hobby today.. a bunch of juveniles in a sewing circle spreading rumors and stories that were told to you by "your cousin's neighbor's brother's sister's husband who knew asome else's brother's sister's husband" or some equally distant source.

are you even IN this hobby? how do you think the old timers collected art in the 'old days' before the internet? and what do you think this board is essentially? :P

this from the guy who called me a "spoon"!

man, that's just great!!! hahahaha!!!! :applause:

I know Jon and I know a number of other people in this thread.. I trust Jon's chat way more than quite a number of you. He says he doesn't own the X-Men #2 splash.. I suspect he doesn't own the X-Men #2 splash.. His words were not clear enough to you??

let's see. you KNOW jon. and HE says he doesn't own the splash. yet you only 'SUSPECT' that he doesn't own it??????????

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHA!!!!!!! lol

Nexus.. you obviously cannot read.. Lambo asked the question and I answered it.. you just didnt go back far enough to see it.. (just a couple more posts back.. go back.. go back.. that's it..).. oops..

Rich,

The only juvenile activity I saw in this thread was name calling. Jon thought enough on it to realize that was wrong and apologized for it. Not everyone who name called or *spoon*-called in this thread has seen fit to do so.

Wouldn't you agree that name-calling and maturity are mutually exclusive?

In any case, there are several things "wrong with this hobby" that are far worse than someone being asked to explain and clarify facts when six figure dollar amounts are being tossed around.

Frankly, your "knowing Jon" is just the sort of irrelevant detail that you accuse Felix (nexus) and Lambert (Lambo) of relying on when posing their questions.

Jon posted his stance to diffuse the situation. Lambert posed questions directly to him, not to you. Why would you answer a question posed to Jon? Any answer you gave would be the equivalent of getting information from "your cousin's neighbor's brother's sister's husband who knew asome else's brother's sister's husband" or some equally distant source.

Jon's here, Lambert's here, if they pose questions to each other I don't see why anyone would jump in between them and enflame things further.

If you are really worried about what's wrong with this hobby, don't be so quick to shout down people asking actual questions regarding pieces of gigantic value. The only way to have a hobby like this thrive is to have transparency and honesty.

Calling people juvenile for asking questions simply because you "know" the person being questioned is the least effective way to reach a resolution of which I have ever heard.

Best,

Chris

If you are really worried about what's wrong with this hobby, don't be so quick to shout down people asking actual questions regarding pieces of gigantic value. The only way to have a hobby like this thrive is to have transparency and honesty.

Calling people juvenile for asking questions simply because you "know" the person being questioned is the least effective way to reach a resolution of which I have ever heard.

Best,

Chris

Best. Reply. Ever! Nicely done, Chris. (thumbs u

Too bad such a post was needed (as well as the fact, that those who need to heed it most will likely ignore it). (shrug)

I must say this thread stays amusing for someone after a long day's work!

Thought I'd cut and paste this response from Mike Burkey, for what it's worth. I've got no vested interest in this whole mess, although I'm friends with pretty much everyone who has posted thus far. Let's hope we can all move on and get back to discussing and admiring art.

"I've been reading with amusement about the X-Men 2 splash controversy...

I didn't want to chime in as I felt the free publicity was good for it! lol

but rest assured I am the proud owner of that X-Men #2 splash....

And not only that...but I just got in the EARLIEST HULK PAGE 1 SPLASH EVER

OFFERED for public sale!!!

the Incredible Hulk #4 page 1 SPLASH from the story titled: "THE MONSTER

AND THE MACHINE!"

an Awesome Dr. Frankenstein looking splash with hulk throughout!!!!!!

also got in a COMPLETE 1961 Kirby Big Foot MONSTER STORY i'm splitting

up....

(the last page to this story has a stat below the artwork telling people

to hurry and buy their SPINE TINGLING copy of fantastic Four #1!!! lol

I also just got in the VERY VERY HISTORIC LARGE ART CAPTAIN MARVEL #1 COVER

by the great GENE COLAN!

and one of the EARLIEST covers by the great JOHN BUSCEMA!!!

The LARGE ART cover to THE AVENGERS #43!!!

I gotta be up for work in 2 hours, so I wanted to just post them on my

website quickly with very little descriptions, and i'll add descriptions

tomorrow...

but I wanted to give people dibs on these amazing NEW pieces..(as well as

the awesome X-Men 2 splash)..lol

not to mention over 280 NEW pieces of art I just added to my website in

the past few days!!!

check em all out at _www.romitaman.com_ (http://www.romitaman.com) and go

to NEW ITEMS at top of page!!!

thanks and hope to see everyone in San Diego next week as i'll be sat up

with an AMAZING DISPLAY of artwork, at booths 4400-4404 with Mark Hay and

good guy Bill Cox!!!

mike"

So after all this, it is a true statement to say that, "the last two transactions where this piece changed ownership were both trade only?"

By definition then the cash valuation would be difficult.

All that said it is a historic piece (not being a fan of the SA X-Men) I can still appreciate the image, the artist and the significance.

Best of luck for the sale and the owner.

Thought I'd cut and paste this from another thread. Written by the board's own Dan Forman, who formerly owned this splash.

For what it's worth:

Clem, my friend, you gotta get over this xmen 2 thing... I wouldn't pay half the asking price in trade whereas I'd pay the full 150k cash for the GSxmen1... now that is historic and key and beautiful.

Let me ask you a question all you art collectors out there.... if you asked 100 bigtime comicBOOK collectors to name the top 100 key and/or historic books... would xmen2 make the list?? Ok. How about if you asked those same folks to name the top 100 silver age books... would xmen2 make the list?? Ok. how about top 100 Marvel books? Any takers...?

How about GSxmen1... would be on at least 50 of the collectors lists of alltime key/historic books... maybe more. I think we get blinders on in our little alcove of the hobby. Just sayin'.

Yes, the xmen2 splash is nice... is there a full team or character shot by Kirby that isn't??!! It's Big, It's Bold! But, key, or historic, or beautifully inked, not so much...

It is old and did I mention Kirby, but frankly speaking, has everyone even read those old xmen stories? I'm sure many have, but I have not ever been able to slog my way through them... no nostalgia there, for me anyway. The entire Marvel universe got a huge dose of kickass when I was a kid in the 70's and the mutant team was re-invented. (Ask 100 people to name 5 xmen..... Wolverine, Storm, Cyclops, Collossus, Nightcrawler, Rogue, etc...... hmmmm, I didn't hear anyone mention Beast, okay who said Marvel Girl??)

And, lest we think this be sour grapes on my part as a former owner, not to worry... Mankuta to his credit was the ONLY one who stepped up and came close to my 50k asking price a few years back. A tad higher than I paid, but I felt fairly priced at the time. I took all trade because no one would give cash, but good trade and kudos to my buddy Jon, because with some of the proceeds from moving that trade I was able to pay for the Xmen 107 cover by Cockrum which is neither historic, nor key, nor by Kirby, but I wouldn't trade it for the Xmen 2 splash even if you held a gun to my head...

Do I hope that the splash sells for 150k,? well, I am a bullish kind of guy, and I think if it truly did sell for that would be very exciting for the comic art market. Mike B. and Jon M. are great marketers when they want to be so nothing would suprise me... but to answer your question Clem, Yeeesh!, in my opinion, not even in the same ballpark.

My 2 cents; which in honor of this years pricing at San Diego I'm also charging 4 cents for now.... but which I happily admit may sit languishing in an Itoya gaining in value all the while...

So after all this, it is a true statement to say that, "the last two transactions where this piece changed ownership were both trade only?"

By definition then the cash valuation would be difficult.

All that said it is a historic piece (not being a fan of the SA X-Men) I can still appreciate the image, the artist and the significance.

Best of luck for the sale and the owner.

My deal with Dan was all trade (and yeah, a few years back when Dan and I did that deal, those covers were worth less too...now, like the X-Men splash, they've all gone up sharply in value, so it's all relative...).

My deal with Burkey however wasn't all trade like with Dan, it involved a lot of cash...

And as for the X-Men GS#1 cover, hey, it's not for sale or I'd be diving ALL over it...hey, I'd rather have that than the X-Men splash as well if it were priced the same...

My deal with Dan was all trade (and yeah, a few years back when Dan and I did that deal, those covers were worth less too...now, like the X-Men splash, they've all gone up sharply in value, so it's all relative...).

My deal with Burkey however wasn't all trade like with Dan, it involved a lot of cash..

Apropos of nothing, I was just wondering how all you BSDs deal with a mega-sale? Say, six figures? Trade is trade...but any cash at that level has got to be a giant red flag for the IRS, even if you do everything on the straight and narrow. Especially these days.

Just curious as I wouldn't know-- I'm not a player in the big kids sandbox.

I just heard about this thread last night. I guess I'll need to print it out and read it on my way to SDCC next week

I came late to the thread too. Apparently there were some nasty remarks cleaned up by the CGC moderators. Not sure what was said, and by whom, but I think that's what is also causing such hurt feelings.