• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showcase #22 Club
14 14

7,061 posts in this topic

No objection to that. But did you noticed SC 22 is selling for a lot more than BB 28 in all grades and is now much harder to locate. Speculations or the seat has turned??? Time will tell.

B&B #28 is a cool book, but it is like Avengers #1 in that it is not a 1st appearance of a major character book. This is why I put #22 ahead of it. (thumbs u

It also seems to be more readily available in decent shape than SC #22.

I agree about Avengers #1 is not a 1st appearance of a major character book, but is of a team like Brave and the Bold #28. Here is the time sequence: Showcase #4 introduction of the silver age Flash, next Showcase #22 introduction of silver age Green Lantern and finally Brave and the Bold #28 introduction of Justice League of America.

Interesting comment about appealing to Marvel Collectors....because I fall in that category. Now the question is why? hm

Here's an Executive Summary of why I love #22 and GK !

"Abin Sur lay dying in the desert next to his crashed ship. He uses the Power Battery to send the ring out to find help. The ring finds Hal Jordan, a test pilot, who is sitting in a trainer. The ring takes him to Abin Sur. He tells the story of how he came to Earth and crashed, that the yellow sunlight blinded him. Abin tells Hal there is an impurity within the power battery which makes the rings useless against the color yellow. The ring also has to be charged every 24 hours. Hal becomes the keeper of the battery and decides to call himself the "Green Lantern".

Hal first uses the oath to recharge his ring and he is off. Hal saves a plane from crashing only to find out three thugs used a "radiation-sender" to bring it down. Hal easily takes care of the thugs and rushes back to try and woo Carol Ferris. She informs him that she is his superior and their will be no romance between them.

Hal tries harder and harder to get somewhere with Carol, but nothing happens. She has an infacuation with the Green Lantern. So, Hal goes to the ball as the Lantern and dances the night away with Carol, which leads to a steamy kiss. Hal goes after a runaway missle, but his ring's bolts do no damage to it because the missle is yellow. Hal creates a giant net and catches the runaway missle. Hal goes after and catches the man who launched the missle with ease. Green Lantern goes back to Carol and she's mad because Green Lantern left in the middle of their kiss. "

My LCS has a fair/good copy for $200. No large missing pieces, but there is a spine roll and the cover is detached. Worth picking up?

That'll be a 600 dollar book by next fall. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

No objection to that. But did you noticed SC 22 is selling for a lot more than BB 28 in all grades and is now much harder to locate. Speculations or the seat has turned??? Time will tell.

B&B #28 is a cool book, but it is like Avengers #1 in that it is not a 1st appearance of a major character book. This is why I put #22 ahead of it. (thumbs u

It also seems to be more readily available in decent shape than SC #22.

I agree about Avengers #1 is not a 1st appearance of a major character book, but is of a team like Brave and the Bold #28. Here is the time sequence: Showcase #4 introduction of the silver age Flash, next Showcase #22 introduction of silver age Green Lantern and finally Brave and the Bold #28 introduction of Justice League of America.

Although a comparison to Marvel is not really possible ....the closest thing I can think of is the Hulk 1 market of about 8 years ago. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Interesting comment about appealing to Marvel Collectors....because I fall in that category. Now the question is why? hm

Me too. Gil Kane has a lot to do with it...

So... why aren`t you all Atom fans, then?

For the same reason they aren't Hawkman, Flash, Aquaman, etc. fans. :baiting:

Gil Kane didn't draw those other characters. :gossip:

My LCS has a fair/good copy for $200. No large missing pieces, but there is a spine roll and the cover is detached. Worth picking up?
roy flipped a gd for $350...

and looks like my $350 purchase was a GOOD one... (thumbs u

along with the other 3....22's

wish i hadnt sold that 5.0 so cheap now doh!

BB28 suffers because it has a cover featuring the most power heroes in the universe battling... a giant starfish :boo:. One of the worst covers on a key issue.

Conversely, SS22 gets a bump from having a terrific cover.

BB28 suffers because it has a cover featuring the most power heroes in the universe battling... a giant starfish :boo:. One of the worst covers on a key issue.

I love the cover to BB 28. But I agree that Showcase 22 is a phenomenal cover and that helps it's value. It's just a cool book.

Showcase 22 has been a sleeper for a long time. Since the movie has been announced, it has cause demand to exceed supply. As a rule of thumb, when price increases, supply will increase also. If price increased to drastically without any pullback; then this is speculation. But what is considered high, we don't know until more supply comes forward and what prices is established. Even Detective27 didn't expect prices and demand to increase so much. At the end of the day, there is great support for this book now.

Totally disagree on BB 28 being a dog cover -- JLA 1 blows, GL 1 blows, and a few others -- but BB 28 I think is a really cool iconic cover...

and BB 28 is definitely thought of as having cache because the justice league enjoys such a widely recognized profile.