• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showcase #22 Club
14 14

7,061 posts in this topic

I am pretty sure I chronicled my search for about the last year or so, for a nice VF or better SC 22... I am, by my nature, a DC man, and when it came to SA keys, I was just more drawn to sc 22 than sc 4 (likely for affordability)...

in my search, I noticed a TON of fr to g/vg copies, but didn't see all that many vg or better copies for sale... so, as my personal search continued, I started picking up any nice vg or better copy (speculating, if you will)... and, well, that part of the story is fairly well chronicled here on the boards (I think I bought and subsequently sold about 14+ copies)...

what also has been alluded to, was that I finally was able to procure that VF copy I was after... I paid STRONG for it, but I felt it was a book that had no place to go but up and gosh darnit, I had been making offers on this copy for dern near a year (each offer higher than the last)...there always seems to be a point at which a "sale" will happen

I had the book pressed and was prepared to send to CGC... today, I sold it for a sum of money that, well, really boggles my mind...

it is no secret that any book I collect or own, I will make available (at the right price)... for me, collecting is as much about the hunt and pursuit, as the acquisition... I applaud those that can hang onto books forever, but when you spend the kind of money some do on certain books, well...you have to realize they are a tangible asset...

with this sale, I no longer am a member of the sc 22 club, but I hope to be again soon :wishluck:

Congrats on the sale.

The buyer must really know his grading. It would be difficult for me to ever buy a book of such worth unslabbed for fear of it coming back a much lower grade than expected or even worse PLOD.

Did you attach any sort of "guarantee" to the book?

yes, I guaranteed it would grade at least 8.5 and be unrestored (thumbs u

It would be a great buy for under 30k (thumbs u

:gossip: think north

I knew it.

why no mention of the real 9.0 in the heritage auction?

Three pages back. It did not generate much interest yet. I wonder if we will see some census creep. Are there some books in mylar that will be shook free and give us a 9.4 or 9.6.

The HA copy says "From the Gary Keller collection."

Anyone have info on this?

Is it the Gary Keller who was a production assistant and letterer for Marvel Comics (according to wiki)?

If it was, then it just goes to reinforce the notion that even Marvel staffers actually prefer DCs. :roflmao:

Whoa Ryan...don't go too far.

Just trying to stir things up a bit, and it looks like I did not succeed. :tonofbricks:

I'm not quite sure the power ring can penetrate webbing.... hm

Webbing is so high schoolish.............the power ring can do so much more.

I am pretty sure I chronicled my search for about the last year or so, for a nice VF or better SC 22... I am, by my nature, a DC man, and when it came to SA keys, I was just more drawn to sc 22 than sc 4 (likely for affordability)...

in my search, I noticed a TON of fr to g/vg copies, but didn't see all that many vg or better copies for sale... so, as my personal search continued, I started picking up any nice vg or better copy (speculating, if you will)... and, well, that part of the story is fairly well chronicled here on the boards (I think I bought and subsequently sold about 14+ copies)...

what also has been alluded to, was that I finally was able to procure that VF copy I was after... I paid STRONG for it, but I felt it was a book that had no place to go but up and gosh darnit, I had been making offers on this copy for dern near a year (each offer higher than the last)...there always seems to be a point at which a "sale" will happen

I had the book pressed and was prepared to send to CGC... today, I sold it for a sum of money that, well, really boggles my mind...

it is no secret that any book I collect or own, I will make available (at the right price)... for me, collecting is as much about the hunt and pursuit, as the acquisition... I applaud those that can hang onto books forever, but when you spend the kind of money some do on certain books, well...you have to realize they are a tangible asset...

with this sale, I no longer am a member of the sc 22 club, but I hope to be again soon :wishluck:

Congrats on the sale.

The buyer must really know his grading. It would be difficult for me to ever buy a book of such worth unslabbed for fear of it coming back a much lower grade than expected or even worse PLOD.

Did you attach any sort of "guarantee" to the book?

yes, I guaranteed it would grade at least 8.5 and be unrestored (thumbs u

It would be a great buy for under 30k (thumbs u

:gossip: think north

doh!(worship)

Three pages back. It did not generate much interest yet. I wonder if we will see some census creep. Are there some books in mylar that will be shook free and give us a 9.4 or 9.6.

The census should be updated any day now. Showcase 22 is difficult to locate in high grade (9.2 and above) is because of the black, green, and grey cover. I really thought my copy had a chance to be a 9.0, but just not quite there. Imagine if no copy ever surface above a 9.0...then holders of 6.0+ club will be well rewarded. On another note, If you look at the 6.0+ list in the club, very few copies exist with ow/white pages. There is a SC22 2.5 (the only other white pager) with white pages out there and I'm willing to pay $2500 for it. :takeit:

Edited by showcase22gr1959

CGC Showcase 22 off-white/white pages and white pages list.

7.5 Peewee from threads ow/w

6.5 ComicLink ow/w

6.0 Showcase22gr1959 from thread white

6.0 M. Wilson (dizneyart) ebay auction ow/w

2.5 Private collector white

Anyone else has a off-white/white and white pages to add to this list? :headbang:

The census should be updated any day now. Showcase 22 is difficult to locate in high grade (9.2 and above) is because of the black, green, and grey cover. I really thought my copy had a chance to be a 9.0, but just not quite there. Imagine if no copy ever surface above a 9.0...then holders of 6.0+ club will be well rewarded. On another note, If you look at the 6.0+ list in the club, very few copies exist with ow/white pages. There is a SC22 2.5 (the only other white pager) with white pages out there and I'm willing to pay $2500 for it. :takeit:

Isn`t unbelievable that this book lay dormant all these years then WOW!

That`s why I love collecting comics. :)

Edited by MR.COMICBOOK

Isn`t unbelieavble that this book lay dormant all these years then WOW!

No kidding, my first few copies I have held on for 20 years! I guess all it take is a movie and a major storyline...and all this in less than a year. This book is still setting record prices and especially the minimum grade of 8.5 Rick sold just the last week for a mind boggling 30k+++. (thumbs u

The 6.0 copy that Mark sold last year was a very nice book. It sold for a reasonable amount, had great page quality, and good eye appeal. That was a deal that all of us had a shot at.

That was an unheard of price back then and page quality is not as a big issues as it is now for SC22. I actually was watching that auction till the last seconds. I had a brief conversation with Mark that day and he couldn't believe the price he got it for it. I guess a few collectors knew this is one of the few high page quality copy out there and willing to pay a premium.

But in my mind, Green Lantern has always been more popular than Iron Man and probably sold more books than Iron Man. They both have had hot and cold periods of sales. They both are second tier to their companies big titles. And they both have a lot of potential that is now being unleashed both in movies and in their titles.

So compare SC22 to TOS 39 and you can see it is way undervalued.

Isn`t unbelieavble that this book lay dormant all these years then WOW!

Certainly possible.

Here is some census history after some digging. These are when high grade SC 22 copies were "discovered" and added to the census:

2009 - 1 8.5, 1 8.0

2008 - 1 7.5

2007 - 1 7.5

2006 - 1 9.0, 1 8.5

2004-2006 - 2 8.0

2001-2004 - 1 8.5, 1 8.0

2001 - 1 9.0

But in my mind, Green Lantern has always been more popular than Iron Man and probably sold more books than Iron Man. They both have had hot and cold periods of sales. They both are second tier to their companies big titles. And they both have a lot of potential that is now being unleashed both in movies and in their titles.

That's what I've been doing...basically comparing it to the *other* Marvel titles like TOS and X-men.

it was the new GL storylines that got me "re" interested in having a nice SC22 (remember, I started looking last year, long before the hype)... but, seeing as I am a GA collector these days, I very quickly recognized the "opportunity"... the book I bought was for "me", but I am no apple picker and when offers come in that are too good to pass up, well, the sensible decision is made (I sell)... and, there is an established history for me doing this (Detective 27, etc...folks hear I have, then make offers I can't refuse...much like I did to get this/former copy)...

my first offer last year was $3K (slightly under 8.0 guide)...it ended up costing me more than 5x that (almost 6x) to finally pry loose (so, I do believe every comic has its price)

That's quite true. The classic Neal Adams Green Lantern run helped GL sales back in the 70's...I believe this is the most popular Adams art run next to the Batman he did. I just can imagine how many people would love to complete this run now. I still don't own a GL 76 (shrug)

That's quite true. The classic Neal Adams Green Lantern run helped GL sales back in the 70's...I believe this is the most popular Adams art run next to the Batman he did. I just can imagine how many people would love to complete this run now. I still don't own a GL 76 (shrug)

No worries, GL #76 is a common book so you can find one no problem as long as you are willing to pay the price for it. :devil:

:news: Well we will soon find out what a 9.0 will bring in auction. Heritage has posted a 9.0. No picture yet but here is the link.

Holy Jeepers Batman It is a SC22 in 9.0

Most likely it is the the one HA sold on 5-10-06.

http://comics.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=820&Lot_No=2101&src=pr#Photo

Since it has off-white pages...it might just be. It will be interesting to see if it is still the old holder or the new holder. We should be able to find out if this is the new 9.0, the old Heritage copy or the ComicLInk copy with the updated census. Wow, we have the 8.0 Mound copy and the Heritage 9.0 up for sale. At least we know the Heritage sale will be in the GPA data. (thumbs u

Photo is up. Same copy as one sold 3 years ago.

Hopefully, the seller will make a little profit on it.