• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showcase #22 Club
13 13

7,061 posts in this topic

Count me in. :cool: And yes, its the nicely priced Gary Dolgoff copy from ebay (thumbs u

S22.jpg

Cograts!!! That is a great purchase price and Green Lantern says "Welcome to the club".

showcasecovblack-1.jpg

:applause:

Count me in. :cool: And yes, its the nicely priced Gary Dolgoff copy from ebay (thumbs u

S22.jpg

Cograts!!! That is a great purchase price and Green Lantern says "Welcome to the club".

showcasecovblack-1.jpg

:applause:
:applause: Indeed

Thanks guys!! Out of my normal sphere of collecting (Marvel: TTA, JIM, TOS,ST,etc), but too cool to pass up :headbang:

I'm surprised you guys aren't tracking the daily movements of the 8.5 copy on ComicLink.

We're more interested in the daily movements of the 9.4 GL #1 on Heritage. (thumbs u

lol(worship)

I think the GL1 9.4 will sell between 40K-55K...what do I know.

I think it might go higher, but we will all know in a few days. :wishluck:

I guess we will find out in less than ten days if the GL1 9.4 will be worth more than a SC22 9.0. hm

I doubt it.

The bigger question in my mind is whether this book ends up resurfacing as a 9.6 in short order. :sorry:

It's very possible, sad to say. The book is really immaculate, very clean and bright. I think the main thing that brought it "down" to a 9.4 was the slight "crimp" on the upper edge of the front cover. I think this is fairly apparent even in the scan, and would be very obvious in person. I've never pressed a book, but I would guess that it's something that could be pressed out very easily and lead to a 9.6 on resub. So potentially a big cha-ching for someone. .

The most noticeable defect on this book is a 3/16 of an inch stress line that break color on the green part at the spine near the yellow L.

True, it's there, but I've seen other 9.6s with a single color-breaking stress line like that. Look at the rest of the spine, it's immaculate, even blown up bigger than real size.

Since you have own the book since 2003, can you explain to us the two white streak lines on the puppet's ribbon

By "ribbon" I assume you mean the sash that he's wearing? The white streak on the ribbon directly under the forearm is as far as I can recall a printing defect. If the other white streak you're referring to is the white smudge on closer to the end of the ribbon, that seems to be just some scan defect from Heritage. Here's my own high-res scan of the book, and then Heritage's.

My scan:

GL1-1.jpg

Heritage's scan:

GL1Heritagescan.jpg

As you can see, the first white streak is there in the same place in both, even though the book is in slightly different positions, but the second white streak is not there in my scan.

and the streak line in the yellow G. Are does cause by printing?

The white streak is just schmutz on the slab. However, the little white dot in the G is really there, and is just a printing/coloring defect.

Sorry, Photobucket doesn't seem to allow me to post these in full size. Is there any way to be able to post the scans in a way that they show up in full size?
you would have to self host or upgrade to a paid photobucket account :baiting:

I'm surprised you guys aren't tracking the daily movements of the 8.5 copy on ComicLink.

We're more interested in the daily movements of the 9.4 GL #1 on Heritage. (thumbs u

lol(worship)

I think the GL1 9.4 will sell between 40K-55K...what do I know.

I think it might go higher, but we will all know in a few days. :wishluck:

I guess we will find out in less than ten days if the GL1 9.4 will be worth more than a SC22 9.0. hm

I doubt it.

The bigger question in my mind is whether this book ends up resurfacing as a 9.6 in short order. :sorry:

It's very possible, sad to say. The book is really immaculate, very clean and bright. I think the main thing that brought it "down" to a 9.4 was the slight "crimp" on the upper edge of the front cover. I think this is fairly apparent even in the scan, and would be very obvious in person. I've never pressed a book, but I would guess that it's something that could be pressed out very easily and lead to a 9.6 on resub. So potentially a big cha-ching for someone. .

The most noticeable defect on this book is a 3/16 of an inch stress line that break color on the green part at the spine near the yellow L.

True, it's there, but I've seen other 9.6s with a single color-breaking stress line like that. Look at the rest of the spine, it's immaculate, even blown up bigger than real size.

Since you have own the book since 2003, can you explain to us the two white streak lines on the puppet's ribbon

By "ribbon" I assume you mean the sash that he's wearing? The white streak on the ribbon directly under the forearm is as far as I can recall a printing defect. If the other white streak you're referring to is the white smudge on closer to the end of the ribbon, that seems to be just some scan defect from Heritage. Here's my own high-res scan of the book, and then Heritage's.

My scan:

GL1-1.jpg

Heritage's scan:

GL1Heritagescan.jpg

As you can see, the first white streak is there in the same place in both, even though the book is in slightly different positions, but the second white streak is not there in my scan.

and the streak line in the yellow G. Are does cause by printing?

The white streak is just schmutz on the slab. However, the little white dot in the G is really there, and is just a printing/coloring defect.

Very minor printing defects are okay on 9.4+. My GL1 also has the same similar smudge printing error on the left top window on the building. Your GL1 has great eye appeal and great page quality and will be the centerpiece for any collectors. (thumbs u

Sorry, Photobucket doesn't seem to allow me to post these in full size. Is there any way to be able to post the scans in a way that they show up in full size?

With all that $$ he's going to get from that GL1 that shouldn't be a problem. lol

With all that $$ he's going to get from that GL1 that shouldn't be a problem. lol

I bet that is what tim is waiting on lol

The edge crimp is an easy defect to press out, but the spine crease might be a bit too big for a 9.6. I have had 9.6s in the past with color breaking dings, but not that noticeable.

In any case, the new owner might as well keep it as the lone 9.4 for now unless another 9.4 or a 9.6 pop up on the census.

I bet that is what tim is waiting on lol

Or one of the 8.0 big books for sale this month. (thumbs u

Well, looks like my stink bid on the 4.0 got me back in as a member of the club tonight. I was debating whether to bid or not, but the OW pages did the trick. lol

Showcase22CGC40new.jpg

BTW, any comments on the price for the 8.5 copy? Rick, was this the one you sold for $35K?

The Showcase 22 8.5 ComicLink (fomer Mound City copy) ended at $17250.00.

From seeing all the ComicLink sales in this auction...the comic market looks exhausted. AF15 7.5 $44500, AF15 6.0 $15550, Hulk 1 9.0 $64000, Avengers 1 8.5 $12750.00. I have predicted last month, the Silver Age comic market may have already peaked, and we need to consolidate for 3-5 years before the uptrend can continue. :cry:

Updated list 2/17/10

486 days before Green Lantern Movie

Top high grade holders and sales of CGC Showcase 22:

9.0 ComicLink auction ow

9.0 Heritage auction ow Gary Keller copy

8.5 Showcase22gr1959 from threads crm/ow

8.5 Nicolas Cage Heritage auction crm/ow

8.5 Doc Joe from threads crm/ow

8.5 Comiclink crm/ow

8.5 Mound City crm/ow (8.0 upgraded to an 8.5)

8.0 Metropolis Comics private sale

8.0 Private collector

8.0 Private collector

7.5 Peewee2 from threads ow/w

7.5 Palamas from threads crm/ow

7.5 Private collector

7.5 Private collector

7.5 Private collector

7.0 SilverRich from threads crm/ow

7.0 Heritage auction crm/ow

7.0 ComicLink crm/ow

7.0 ComicLink lt/ow

7.0 Foolkiller from threads ow sold on Metropolis site

7.0 Private collector

7.0 Private collector

7.0 Private collector

7.0 Private collector

7.0 Private collector

6.5 ComicLink ow/w

6.5 ComicLink ow

6.5 Quality Comics crm/ow

6.5 ComicLink crm/ow

6.5 Private collector

6.0 Showcase22gr1959 from thread white

6.0 M. Wilson (dizneyart) ebay auction ow/w

6.0 Heritage auction crm/ow

6.0 Tsimanga from threads lt/ow boardie

6.0 Private collector

6.0 Private collector

6.0 Private collector

6.0 Private collector

6.0 Private collector

6.0 Private collector

Record sales 2009/2010

9.0 Heritage auction ow Gary Keller copy 11/20/09 $59750

:news: 8.5 crm/ow Comiclink (former Mound City) 2/17/10 $17250.00

8.0 crm/ow Mound City copy 11/1/09 $17850.00

7.5 ow/w boardie 8/09 $10500

7.0 ow Foolkiller 12/30/09 $9000 confirmed by GPA

6.5 crm/ow Comic Link 12/28/09 $6100

6.0 lt/ow boardie 9/28/09 $4500

5.5 ow Ebay 10/4/09 $3995.00 (same copy sold on 9/05/09)

5.0 ow Comic Connect 9/26/09 $3100

4.5 crm/ow boardie 12/13/09 $1900

4.0 crm/ow boardie 8/23/09 $1700

4.0 crm/ow boardie 9/18/09 $1700

3.5 ow Ebay 10/4/09 $1400

3.0 lt/ow Ebay 1/28/10 $1299.99

3.0 ow boardie 9/19/09 $1150

2.5 lt/ow Comic Link $1050 11/9/09

2.0 crm/ow Comic Link $825 1/9/10

2.0 crm/ow boardie 9/19/09 $600

2.0 crm/ow boardie 9/19/09 $600

1.0 crmow boardie 10/08/09 $225

Notable sales 2009/2010

6.5 crm/ow Detective27kid private sale, estimate sale $5500-6000

6.5 Quality Comics crm/ow 11/22/09 $5000

5.5 ow Ebay 9/5/09 $3803.64

5.0 Quality Comics crm/ow 10/5/09 $2751

4.5 ow Ebay 1/14/10 $1680.00 (same copy sold on Pedigree 1/10)

4.5 ow Pedigree comics 1/10 $1400

4.5 lt/ow Comic Connect 9/26/09 $1501

4.0 crm/ow Ebay 2/10/10 $1394.62

3.5 ow Quality Comics 11/8/09 $1001

3.0 ow Ebay 10/27/09 $1250

3.0 crm/ow Ebay 9/20/09 $961.02

3.0 ow Ebay 9/29/09 $911.00

3.0 lt/ow Ebay 10/9/09 $1295 (same copy sold on CL 9/14/09)

3.0 lt/ow ComicLink 9/14/09 $1125

3.0 crm/ow ComicLink 10/4/09 $1100

2.5 lt/ow boardie 9/19/09 $750

2.0 ow Ebay 2/10/10 $610

Edited by showcase22gr1959

Well, looks like my stink bid on the 4.0 got me back in as a member of the club tonight. I was debating whether to bid or not, but the OW pages did the trick. lol

Showcase22CGC40new.jpg

BTW, any comments on the price for the 8.5 copy? Rick, was this the one you sold for $35K?

Very smart and low buy. (thumbs u

The majority of the Silver Age Market has currently peak. Just my opinion.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have posted this before. I sense we are now in the 7th inning. 2/6/10

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

old post:

Someone asked me "Are were in a comic bubble" 9/09

I believe we are in the 3rd inning and have a lot more room to rise (golden age and silver age quality material and high end) till this "bubble burst". Below are seven signs if we a in a comic bubble.

1) almost everyone you know talks about the rise of comics

2) many people begin to flip comics for a quick profit

3) many people spending their life savings and are cashing in their 401k to buy comics (I'm sure some of you out there have done this)

4) it's not about collecting anymore, but it's about making money

5) restored comics are rising rapidly too

6)five to ten comic related movies are made in one year.

7)single comic sold for a million dollar

8)more single comics reaching $500,000-1,000000 in auction house

Edited by showcase22gr1959

Thanks. I definitely was not expecting to win it, but I thought I might as well put in a bid since it was going for just $1K when I first saw it. This will be held until the GL movie now, I think. :wishluck:

Edited by kimik

Thanks. I definitely was not expecting to win it, but I thought I might as well put in a bid since it was going for just $1K when I first saw it. This will be held until the GL movie now, I think. :wishluck:

The person who bought the Mound Copy lost some money. :(