• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showcase #22 Club
13 13

7,061 posts in this topic

I apologize in advance if this is another boardie's copy as I do not mind to offend anyone. :foryou:

However, I was just looking at the HA listings and how does a copy with this large of a corner missing from the back cover (the top right corner tip missing on the front cover and it looks like the bottom staple is starting to pull through the cover as well) still get a 5.0?

http://comics.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=7017&Lot_No=92220#Photo

Ryan, based on another CGC 5.0 that I own that grade looks about right. My book is missing a similar sized chip on the front cover.

Does it have another chip missing from another corner as well?

Sorry, but anything with a piece that large out of it should not be a 5.0 IMHO. Heck, even by old school OSPG guidelines a chip like that is only acceptable on a VG if I recall correctly.

It's actually got pieces missing out of 4 corners. Top right (tiny), bottom left (small-medium), bottom right (fair size) and bottom left back cover (tiny). The total sum of pieces missing might be similar.

WhizComics10CGC5_0.jpg

\

Nice copy, but still not a 5.0 IMHO.

Prices were down or may I say "crash" across the border for the Silver Age in last week's ComicLink fire sale. The crash is similar to the 1987 stock market crash which was around 25%. It created the buying opportunity for quality Silver Age keys. Also, it is currently a down market. Nonetheless, many collectors of Silver Age Marvel and DC's got affected. :cry:

However, some of the QualityComix auction prices on SA books were better than Clink (say, the 6.5 FF #1). :baiting:

That FF #1 6.5 did a lot better than the CL FF #1 7.0 last week fire sale. Also, both copies had great PQ and no chipping. Was last week the great buying opportunity on SA keys? hm Time will tell.

Edited by showcase22gr1959

Prices were down or may I say "crash" across the border for the Silver Age in last week's ComicLink fire sale. The crash is similar to the 1987 stock market crash which was around 25%. It created the buying opportunity for quality Silver Age keys. Also, it is currently a down market. Nonetheless, many collectors of Silver Age Marvel and DC's got affected. :cry:

However, some of the QualityComix auction prices on SA books were better than Clink (say, the 6.5 FF #1). :baiting:

That FF #1 6.5 did a lot better than the CL FF #1 7.0 last week fire sale. Also, both copies had great PQ and no chipping. Was last week the great buying opportunity on SA keys? hm Time will tell.

Here's hoping that 4.0 SC #22s start going for $2K sometime soon. lol

I think that Brent got lucky with his FF #1. My guess is that a few people who did not bid on the Clink auction thought they could get another bargain and drove the price up against one another.

Edited by kimik

I think that Brent got lucky with his FF #1. My guess is that a few people who did not bid on the Clink auction thought they could get another bargain and drove the price up against one another.

there was a pretty healthy reserve on the quality copy...it last sold for 12500+ 2 years ago...it sold for 12250 this year...not sure that is a "lucky" sale or not ...seems right in line (shrug)

that FF 1 in 7.0 from clink sold 2 years ago for 15500 and sold for 15250 or so this year...seems also to be right in line...

I think both sales were good and possibly under future FMV (thumbs u

there was a pretty healthy reserve on the quality copy...it last sold for 12500+ 2 years ago...it sold for 12250 this year...not sure that is a "lucky" sale or not ...seems right in line (shrug)

that FF 1 in 7.0 from clink sold 2 years ago for 15500 and sold for 15250 or so this year...seems also to be right in line...

I think both sales were good and possibly under future FMV (thumbs u

(thumbs u

Showcase 22 is still doing well. Congrats SC22 members!

Updated list 2/25/10

478 days before Green Lantern Movie

Top high grade holders and sales of CGC Showcase 22:

9.0 ComicLink auction ow

9.0 Heritage auction ow Gary Keller copy

8.5 Showcase22gr1959 from threads crm/ow

8.5 Nicolas Cage Heritage auction crm/ow

8.5 Doc Joe from threads crm/ow

8.5 Comiclink crm/ow (8.0 upgraded to an 8.5 former Mound City copy)

8.0 Metropolis Comics private sale

8.0 Private collector

8.0 Private collector

7.5 Peewee2 from threads ow/w

7.5 Palamas from threads crm/ow

7.5 Private collector

7.5 Private collector

7.5 Private collector

7.0 SilverRich from threads crm/ow

7.0 Heritage auction crm/ow

7.0 ComicLink crm/ow

7.0 ComicLink lt/ow

7.0 Foolkiller from threads ow sold on Metropolis site

7.0 Private collector

7.0 Private collector

7.0 Private collector

7.0 Private collector

7.0 Private collector

6.5 ComicLink ow/w

6.5 ComicLink ow

6.5 Quality Comics crm/ow

6.5 ComicLink crm/ow

6.5 Private collector

6.0 Showcase22gr1959 from thread white

6.0 M. Wilson (dizneyart) ebay auction ow/w

6.0 Heritage auction crm/ow

6.0 Tsimanga from threads lt/ow boardie

6.0 Private collector

6.0 Private collector

6.0 Private collector

6.0 Private collector

6.0 Private collector

6.0 Private collector

Record sales 2009/2010

9.0 Heritage auction ow Gary Keller copy 11/20/09 $59750

8.5 crm/ow Comiclink (former Mound City) 2/17/10 $17250.00

8.0 crm/ow Mound City copy 11/1/09 $17850.00

7.5 ow/w boardie 8/09 $10500

7.0 ow Foolkiller 12/30/09 $9000 confirmed by GPA

6.5 crm/ow Comic Link 12/28/09 $6100

6.0 lt/ow boardie 9/28/09 $4500

:news: 5.5 ow Heritage 2/25/10 $4481.25 Record price :news:

:news: 5.0 ow Heritage 2/25/10 $3107.00 Record price :news:

4.5 crm/ow boardie 12/13/09 $1900

4.0 crm/ow boardie 8/23/09 $1700

4.0 crm/ow boardie 9/18/09 $1700

3.5 ow Ebay 10/4/09 $1400

3.0 lt/ow Ebay 1/28/10 $1299.99

3.0 ow boardie 9/19/09 $1150

2.5 lt/ow Comic Link $1050 11/9/09

2.0 crm/ow Comic Link $825 1/9/10

2.0 crm/ow boardie 9/19/09 $600

2.0 crm/ow boardie 9/19/09 $600

1.0 crmow boardie 10/08/09 $225

Notable sales 2009/2010

6.5 crm/ow Detective27kid private sale, estimate sale $5500-6000

6.5 Quality Comics crm/ow 11/22/09 $5000

5.5 ow Ebay 10/4/09 $3995.00 (same copy sold on 9/05/09)

5.5 ow Ebay 9/5/09 $3803.64

5.0 ow Comic Connect 9/26/09 $3100

5.0 Quality Comics crm/ow 10/5/09 $2751

4.5 ow Ebay 1/14/10 $1680.00 (same copy sold on Pedigree 1/10)

4.5 ow Pedigree comics 1/10 $1400

4.5 lt/ow Comic Connect 9/26/09 $1501

4.0 ow ComicLink 2/17/10 $1100 Congrats to kimik he is a SC22 member again \(thumbs u

4.0 crm/ow Ebay 2/10/10 $1394.62

3.5 ow Quality Comics 11/8/09 $1001

3.0 ow Ebay 10/27/09 $1250

3.0 crm/ow Ebay 9/20/09 $961.02

3.0 ow Ebay 9/29/09 $911.00

3.0 lt/ow Ebay 10/9/09 $1295 (same copy sold on CL 9/14/09)

3.0 lt/ow ComicLink 9/14/09 $1125

3.0 crm/ow ComicLink 10/4/09 $1100

2.5 lt/ow boardie 9/19/09 $750

2.0 ow Ebay 2/10/10 $610

Wow. That is a phenomenal price on the chipped up 5.0. Looks like Heritage might be the place to go with SA keys now?

I agree, that's a remarkable price for the CHIPPED copy. Well, at least it had off-white pages. Seems like 5.0+ is still holding up well. That 8.5 press copy was being bid as it was an 8.0 on ComicLink. Imagine if Heritage had that 8.5 press copy in their auction. hm

Here's my 5.0 off-white copy front and back cover. What do you think, better eye appeal?

Comic_2.jpg

Comic_2b.jpg

Your copy looks just as nice as the 5.5 they sold today as well.

I just paid for my Qualitycomix wins, and I ended up with the 2.0 SC #22 as well thanks to nobody topping my stink bid. lol

Your copy looks just as nice as the 5.5 they sold today as well.

I just paid for my Qualitycomix wins, and I ended up with the 2.0 SC #22 as well thanks to nobody topping my stink bid. lol

That 2.0 will be a good flip for you. :applause: You officially have two copies. (thumbs u

Wow. That is a phenomenal price on the chipped up 5.0. Looks like Heritage might be the place to go with SA keys now?

I agree, that's a remarkable price for the CHIPPED copy. Well, at least it had off-white pages. Seems like 5.0+ is still holding up well. That 8.5 press copy was being bid as it was an 8.0 on ComicLink. Imagine if Heritage had that 8.5 press copy in their auction. hm

Here's my 5.0 off-white copy front and back cover. What do you think, better eye appeal?

Comic_2.jpg

Comic_2b.jpg

That's a great looking 5.0.. I think it even looks better than the 5.5 on Heritage as the spine creases on on the book looked deep to me

Comic_2.jpg

Comic_2b.jpg

That's a great looking 5.0.. I think it even looks better than the 5.5 on Heritage as the spine creases on on the book looked deep to me

Believe it or not...this copy has been in my collection for over 20 years...and the eye appeal is still there. I might have told this story briefly before. In 1988, I was at a Con and saw this copy at dealer booth. It looks decent, and I told the dealer that I may be back with for it. Here is my chance to upgrade my Showcase 22 since my first copy was a coverless copy, which I bought for $12 dollars back then. I had a bit more money now, so that 5.0 copy was more attainable. I made one more round at the con before making my decision to purchase this copy. As I came back to the dealer booth, there was another older collector looking at the SC22. I didn't realize someone else was interested in this copy. I told the dealer quickly, that I have the money to buy it. But the other collector said he want it. The dealer said "let's have an auction". I ended up with the winning bid.

I can't believe that a man was bidding against a teenage boy...and I think that was not fare even till todate. The book has great memories to me...and it means the most out of all my SC22 and I'm glad to share it to the club.

Believe it or not...this copy has been in my collection for over 20 years...and the eye appeal is still there. I might have told this story briefly before. In 1988, I was at a Con and saw this copy at dealer booth. It looks decent, and I told the dealer that I may be back with for it. Here is my chance to upgrade my Showcase 22 since my first copy was a coverless copy, which I bought for $12 dollars back then. I had a bit more money now, so that 5.0 copy was more attainable. I made one more round at the con before making my decision to purchase this copy. As I came back to the dealer booth, there was another older collector looking at the SC22. I didn't realize someone else was interested in this copy. I told the dealer quickly, that I have the money to buy it. But the other collector said he want it. The dealer said "let's have an auction". I ended up with the winning bid.

I can't believe that a man was bidding against a teenage boy...and I think that was not fare even till todate. The book has great memories to me...and it means the most out of all my SC22 and I'm glad to share it to the club.

Actually, you are lucky that the dealer auctioned it off because otherwise the fair thing would have been to sell the book to the collector that was looking at it at the time. :baiting:

That being said, congrats on the purchase. I think the funniest part of your story is the fact that a teenager with a limited budget outbid an adult collector. Sometimes it does not pay to be cheap. lol

Actually, you are lucky that the dealer auctioned it off because otherwise the fair thing would have been to sell the book to the collector that was looking at it at the time. :baiting:

Thanks to that greedy dealer :devil: or I'll be without this copy :sorry:

That being said, congrats on the purchase. I think the funniest part of your story is the fact that a teenager with a limited budget outbid an adult collector. Sometimes it does not pay to be cheap. lol

lol