• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showcase #22 Club
13 13

7,061 posts in this topic

Here's a sweet 22 up for grabs at the next CC auction. Can anyone tell if this book has been pressed? Look at the upper right corner sharpness...and the top overhang looks flat at a p'cake...which is probably why it would not fit in a CGC slab... (shrug)

See comments/notes in the link below.

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=328211&enlarge=2

:gossip: that book, I believe, was in a cgc "trimmed" holder not too long ago hm

Wow, that`s a pretty serious accusation Rick, since CC`s description pretty much says the book is not restored.

I think Rick is just making a speculation.

It`s a pretty serious "speculation".

would you prefer I not make mention of the possibility (shrug)

No, I think more disclosure is always a good thing if it can be substantiated. Just wondering if you could provide some more detail. CC seem to be saying, and providing Borock's confirmation, that the book was never in a CGC slab because it was unslabbable because of overhang.

I have not followed up, I only lent my observation in passing... I just recall what I "thought" was this book in a trimmed holder, and visually it struck home with me, but if I had any more details, I would have already provided :sorry: ... if borock and them confirmed it was not, then I am wrong, I have no problem being wrong sometimes (Thumbs u ...so due diligence was a good thing in this case (thumbs u

I think there is enough "evidence" presented to place doubt in one's mind before bidding..that's the beauty of this Board. You don't have to wade out in shark-infested waters alone... :headbang:

(thumbs u

Here's a sweet 22 up for grabs at the next CC auction. Can anyone tell if this book has been pressed? Look at the upper right corner sharpness...and the top overhang looks flat at a p'cake...which is probably why it would not fit in a CGC slab... (shrug)

:gossip: that book, I believe, was in a cgc "trimmed" holder not too long ago hm

Wow, that`s a pretty serious accusation Rick, since CC`s description pretty much says the book is not restored.

No, I think more disclosure is always a good thing if it can be substantiated. Just wondering if you could provide some more detail. CC seem to be saying, and providing Borock's confirmation, that the book was never in a CGC slab because it was unslabbable because of overhang.

I have not followed up, I only lent my observation in passing... I just recall what I "thought" was this book in a trimmed holder, and visually it struck home with me, but if I had any more details, I would have already provided :sorry: ... if borock and them confirmed it was not, then I am wrong, I have no problem being wrong sometimes (Thumbs u ...so due diligence was a good thing in this case (thumbs u

I think there is enough "evidence" presented to place doubt in one's mind before bidding..that's the beauty of this Board. You don't have to wade out in shark-infested waters alone... :headbang:

(thumbs u

(thumbs u

Don`t get me wrong, Rick, between the PGX slab, CC`s unwillingness to take credit cards on the book, and your post, that`s way more red flags than I`d be willing to accept on a book. (thumbs u

Don`t get me wrong, Rick, between the PGX slab, CC`s unwillingness to take credit cards on the book, and your post, that`s way more red flags than I`d be willing to accept on a book. (thumbs u

all's good...it is no secret I support metro and CC, I enjoy buying books from them and vin and s have always taken care of me...so naturally, I would not intentionally say anything to hurt a sale, etc... just when I saw the book, my "mind" clicked and I just put out a little post for my fellow boardies (thumbs u

Here's to you Tim and Rick... (thumbs u

By the way, the book is a beauty...it's bright with clean grays and a sooper dooper spine!

Updated list 2/28/10

475 days before Green Lantern Movie

Top high grade holders and sales of CGC Showcase 22:

9.0 ComicLink auction ow

9.0 Heritage auction ow Gary Keller copy

8.5 Showcase22gr1959 from threads crm/ow

8.5 Nicolas Cage Heritage auction crm/ow

8.5 Doc Joe from threads crm/ow

8.5 Comiclink crm/ow (8.0 upgraded to an 8.5 former Mound City copy)

8.0 Metropolis Comics private sale

8.0 Private collector

8.0 Private collector

7.5 Peewee2 from threads ow/w

7.5 Palamas from threads crm/ow

7.5 Private collector

7.5 Private collector

7.5 Private collector

7.0 SilverRich from threads crm/ow

7.0 Heritage auction crm/ow

7.0 ComicLink crm/ow

7.0 ComicLink lt/ow

7.0 Foolkiller from threads ow sold on Metropolis site

7.0 Private collector

7.0 Private collector

7.0 Private collector

7.0 Private collector

7.0 Private collector

6.5 ComicLink ow/w

6.5 ComicLink ow

6.5 Quality Comics crm/ow

6.5 ComicLink crm/ow

6.5 Private collector

6.0 Showcase22gr1959 from thread white

6.0 M. Wilson (dizneyart) ebay auction ow/w

6.0 Heritage auction crm/ow

6.0 Tsimanga from threads lt/ow boardie

6.0 Private collector

6.0 Private collector

6.0 Private collector

6.0 Private collector

6.0 Private collector

6.0 Private collector

Record sales 2009/2010

9.0 Heritage auction ow Gary Keller copy 11/20/09 $59750

8.5 crm/ow Comiclink (former Mound City) 2/17/10 $17250.00

8.0 crm/ow Mound City copy 11/1/09 $17850.00

7.5 ow/w boardie 8/09 $10500

7.0 ow Foolkiller 12/30/09 $9000 confirmed by GPA

6.5 crm/ow Comic Link 12/28/09 $6100

6.0 lt/ow boardie 9/28/09 $4500

5.5 ow Heritage 2/25/10 $4481.25

5.0 ow Heritage 2/25/10 $3107.00

4.5 crm/ow boardie 12/13/09 $1900

4.0 crm/ow boardie 8/23/09 $1700

4.0 crm/ow boardie 9/18/09 $1700

3.5 ow Ebay 10/4/09 $1400

3.0 lt/ow Ebay 1/28/10 $1299.99

3.0 ow boardie 9/19/09 $1150

2.5 lt/ow Comic Link $1050 11/9/09

2.0 crm/ow Comic Link $825 1/9/10

2.0 ow Ebay 2/10/10 $610

1.0 crmow boardie 10/08/09 $225

Notable sales 2009/2010

6.5 crm/ow G.A.tor private sale, estimate sale $5500-6000

6.5 Quality Comics crm/ow 11/22/09 $5000

5.5 ow Ebay 10/4/09 $3995.00 (same copy sold on 9/05/09)

5.5 ow Ebay 9/5/09 $3803.64

5.0 ow Comic Connect 9/26/09 $3100

5.0 Quality Comics crm/ow 10/5/09 $2751

4.5 ow Ebay 1/14/10 $1680.00 (same copy sold on Pedigree 1/10)

4.5 ow Pedigree comics 1/10 $1400

4.5 lt/ow Comic Connect 9/26/09 $1501

4.0 ow ComicLink 2/17/10 $1100

4.0 crm/ow Ebay 2/10/10 $1394.62

3.5 ow Quality Comics 11/8/09 $1001

:news: 3.5 crm/ow Ebay 2/23/10 $920

3.0 ow Ebay 10/27/09 $1250

3.0 crm/ow Ebay 9/20/09 $961.02

3.0 ow Ebay 9/29/09 $911.00

3.0 lt/ow Ebay 10/9/09 $1295 (same copy sold on CL 9/14/09)

3.0 lt/ow ComicLink 9/14/09 $1125

3.0 crm/ow ComicLink 10/4/09 $1100

2.5 lt/ow boardie 9/19/09 $750

2.0 crm/ow boardie 9/19/09 $600

2.0 crm/ow boardie 9/19/09 $600

:news: 2.0 ow Quality Comics 2/22/10 $425

Edited by showcase22gr1959

By the way, the book is a beauty...it's bright with clean grays and a sooper dooper spine!

if it is indeed non-trimmed,and borock can confirm the story,its my experience that PGX 8.0 = a CGC "higher grade"..i'm just saying...even if cgc cant slab it.. it might be a 9.0 sitting a pgx 8.0 holder...

Edited by kryptospidey

if it is indeed non-trimmed,and borock can confirm the story,its my experience that PGX 8.0 = a CGC "higher grade"..i'm just saying...even if cgc cant slab it.. it might be a 9.0 sitting a pgx 8.0 holder...

Anybody wants to take a shot at it? hm

It's kinda like the Sirens in Greek Mythology that lured Odysseus and his crew to their fate. Every time I look at that 22, man, I admire it more and more...!!!

94208.jpg.80c83df2784eba0c7c7db1a6d8d6b08f.jpg

If a buyer uses credit card on cc, seller pays 3% extra. I bet the seller doesn't want to take the hit. Two White Mountain Tales to Astonish, both CGC 9.2 with no problems say same thing. Must be an option for sellers.

Seller eats the credit card fees when selling on CC? That sucks! Heritage absorbs those fees for consignors.

my experience is just the opposite...have had 3 8.0 or higher pgx books, come back 1 full grade, 1/2 grade and 1 1/2 grades lower when cgc'd (and one had tear seal missed by pgx doh! , but the glue was minor enough still got blue label)

my experience is just the opposite...have had 3 8.0 or higher pgx books, come back 1 full grade, 1/2 grade and 1 1/2 grades lower when cgc'd (and one had tear seal missed by pgx doh! , but the glue was minor enough still got blue label)

..damn GAtor,that really sucks..and i asume they were golden age books,with that glue comment.ive heard bad things about pgx golden-age grades,but the opposite about silver-age... my experiences are all in the possitive im 6 for 6 on the + side over the last year or so...

pgx 8.0..pressed came back 9.4 WHITE (batman 227)

pgx 8.5 straight sub.. cgc 9.2 (asm #50)

pgx 8.0 press.. cgc 8.5 (hulk 102)

pgx 7.0 straight sub cgc 8.0 white ( ff #48)

and two AVENGERS 57's last year:

pgx 8.0 press came back cgc 9.0

pgx 9.2 straight sub cgc 9.4

but im afraid im due for a donkey one of these times.... :flamed:

Edited by kryptospidey

You did quite well. I had a few down grades with PGX, so my experience with them is not as good. :boo: If one can see the PGX SC22 8.0 on hand...it may build up one's confidence to bid.

Edited by showcase22gr1959

You did quite well. I had a few down grades with PGX, so my experience with them is not as good. :boo: If one can see the PGX SC22 8.0 on hand...it may build up one's confidence to bid.

..i agree,and someone that knows steve should talk to him about the book..if the book really did go to cgc and was not slabbed because of the overhang,im sure it would be remembered. what im saying is,a high grade showcase 22 not being able to be slabbed would be something steve would remember,since im pretty sure its a rare occurance for that book to show up at cgc and not be slabbable...maybe he could fill in the blanks...

..i agree,and someone that knows steve should talk to him about the book..if the book really did go to cgc and was not slabbed because of the overhang,im sure it would be remembered. what im saying is,a high grade showcase 22 not being able to be slabbed would be something steve would remember,since im pretty sure its a rare occurance for that book to show up at cgc and not be slabbable...maybe he could fill in the blanks...

If anyone doesn`t believe the write-up, all they have to do is email or PM Borock. (shrug)

If anyone doesn`t believe the write-up, all they have to do is email or PM Borock. (shrug)

.. thats exactly what i was getting at... i just know some of the boardies have a open/frequent line of communication with him,as opposed to a bunch of us bombarding him with emails,ect...

.. thats exactly what i was getting at... i just know some of the boardies have a open/frequent line of communication with him,as opposed to a bunch of us bombarding him with emails,ect...

If I were Steve I would be leery of giving an opinion now for two reasons: 1) He does not have the book in hand and if he is wrong and CGC does turn up micro trimming then his rep takes a hit (which is why I would ask CC to remove that comment if I were him) and 2) He works for the competition now so why should he help CC get a better price?

..damn GAtor,that really sucks..and i asume they were golden age books,with that glue comment.ive heard bad things about pgx golden-age grades,but the opposite about silver-age... my experiences are all in the possitive im 6 for 6 on the + side over the last year or so...

pgx 8.0..pressed came back 9.4 WHITE (batman 227)

pgx 8.5 straight sub.. cgc 9.2 (asm #50)

pgx 8.0 press.. cgc 8.5 (hulk 102)

pgx 7.0 straight sub cgc 8.0 white ( ff #48)

and two AVENGERS 57's last year:

pgx 8.0 press came back cgc 9.0

pgx 9.2 straight sub cgc 9.4

but im afraid im due for a donkey one of these times.... :flamed:

I had a similar experience back in 2006 when I bought a small late 60s early 70s OO hoard (multiples of DD #40 - 70, Iron Man #1-35, Silver Sufer runs, Conan #1-5, Subby #1-40, Captain Savage #1-last issue) from a local collector. He had sent in a bunch of books to PGX, but since I bought the books in November I subbed 60 more books to PGX (graded out between 9.2 - 9.6 with a few 9.8s) in order to catch the post X-Mas run on eBay. I finally resubbed the remaing PGX books with CGC and sent in the "undercopies" that were not good enough for 9.4 IMHO. The PGX 9.0/9.2 books all came back as CGC 9.4/9.6, and the 9.4 PGX books came back as 9.6/9.8 from CGC. The raw books that I sent in came back 9.4 - 9.8 from CGC.

The worst part of it IMHO is that I was debating whether I should resub the PGX 9.2 and 9.4 Conan #1, 9.2 Subby #8s, and 9.2/9.4 Silver Surfer issues that I bought from him. They looked way better IMHO.