• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showcase #22 Club
13 13

7,061 posts in this topic

Here's a sweet 22 up for grabs at the next CC auction. Can anyone tell if this book has been pressed? Look at the upper right corner sharpness...and the top overhang looks flat at a p'cake...which is probably why it would not fit in a CGC slab... (shrug)

See comments/notes in the link below.

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=328211&enlarge=2

Edited by peewee22

Here's a sweet 22 up for grabs at the next CC auction. Can anyone tell if this book has been pressed? Look at the upper right corner sharpness...and the top overhang looks flat at a p'cake...which is probably why it would not fit in a CGC slab... (shrug)

:gossip: that book, I believe, was in a cgc "trimmed" holder not too long ago hm

:gossip: that book, I believe, was in a cgc "trimmed" holder not too long ago hm

The previous trimmed 8.5 holder copy had off-white/white pages, which sold on ComicLink over two months ago. This is the previous ComicConnect copy which I have posted about over two weeks ago in the club. It was listed as a raw 8.0 then and it was not even in the PGX holder yet. This copy has a potential risk for any buyers, since there is a possibility it may come back trimmed or restored from CGC. Anybody interested in this copy should bid accordingly.

Edited by showcase22gr1959

Why no credit cards on that SC 22? That's really strange...I assume metro cuts a check to the seller/consignor and that check is the same no matter how they're paid. :shrug:

It's PGX and it's grade is not reputable as CGC to most collectors. I'm not trying to bash PGX here. For example, someone could actually crack this book out of the PGX holder and send it in express to CGC and if the buyer is not satisfy with the grade, he or she will dispute the purchase with ComicConnect.

Edited by showcase22gr1959

Wow, that`s a pretty serious accusation Rick, since CC`s description pretty much says the book is not restored.

Wow, that`s a pretty serious accusation Rick, since CC`s description pretty much says the book is not restored.

I think Rick is just making a speculation.

Why no credit cards on that SC 22? That's really strange...I assume metro cuts a check to the seller/consignor and that check is the same no matter how they're paid. :shrug:

Maybe they`re worried about credit card holders being able to demand a refund.

Obviously they don't want to chance a disputed charge with the Credit Card company. This is a definite Red Flag.

The previous trimmed 8.5 holder copy had off-white/white pages, which sold on ComicLink over two months ago. This is the previous ComicConnect copy which I have posted about over two weeks ago in the club. It was listed as a raw 8.0 then and it was not even in the PGX holder yet. This copy has a potential risk for any buyers, since there is a possibility it may come back trimmed or restored from CGC. Anybody interested in this copy should bid accordingly.

If I`m reading CC`s auction description correctly, it won`t come back as anything from CGC, because CGC won`t grade or examine it because it`s not slabbable because of the overhang.

However, they do say that Borock looked at the book at the time, even though it couldn`t be graded or slabbed by CGC, and said nothing had been done to it.

:popcorn:

It`s a pretty serious "speculation".

The book looks funny lower right corner. Look close and you can see a thin streak of the inside pages. Normally, the cover "covers' the pages in this area indicating this could be a very ultra slight trim?

But I'm just speculating... :whistle:

Edited by peewee22

I looked at the book before reading your post, Rick, and that is the first thing that jumps out at me. Let's just say I had two similar looking early ASMs (#3 and #4) that I got for cheap from an eBay seller offline that both came back as trimmed (thankfully, I got a refund).

I looked at the book before reading your post, Rick, and that is the first thing that jumps out at me. Let's just say I had two similar looking early ASMs (#3 and #4) that I got for cheap from an eBay seller offline that both came back as trimmed (thankfully, I got a refund).

I am not making any "accusation"... I said I believe I recall seeing that book in a cgc holder and it was marked trimmed....

I believe CC is simply describing the book as presented/consigned to them in the holder... I only offered my statement for the boards to consider, as a courtesy to my fellow boardies...

I think folks will draw their own conclusions based on "why" it is in a pgx holder and not a cgc holder... I believe there is generally a reason why a seller would choose to go that route, but that is just my opinion...feel free to ignore it... I didn't state is as a fact, and I have no proof other than I have recollection (that could, of course, be wrong, but I felt it was worth mentioning)...

but ultimately, folks will draw their own conclusions...I think folks know my motives are only genuine, not malicious (thumbs u

would you prefer I not make mention of the possibility (shrug)

No, I think more disclosure is always a good thing if it can be substantiated. Just wondering if you could provide some more detail. CC seem to be saying, and providing Borock's confirmation, that the book was never in a CGC slab because it was unslabbable because of overhang.

No, I think more disclosure is always a good thing if it can be substantiated. Just wondering if you could provide some more detail. CC seem to be saying, and providing Borock's confirmation, that the book was never in a CGC slab because it was unslabbable because of overhang.

I have not followed up, I only lent my observation in passing... I just recall what I "thought" was this book in a trimmed holder, and visually it struck home with me, but if I had any more details, I would have already provided :sorry: ... if borock and them confirmed it was not, then I am wrong, I have no problem being wrong sometimes (Thumbs u ...so due diligence was a good thing in this case (thumbs u

I have not followed up, I only lent my observation in passing... I just recall what I "thought" was this book in a trimmed holder, and visually it struck home with me, but if I had any more details, I would have already provided :sorry: ... if borock and them confirmed it was not, then I am wrong, I have no problem being wrong sometimes (Thumbs u ...so due diligence was a good thing in this case (thumbs u

I think there is enough "evidence" presented to place doubt in one's mind before bidding..that's the beauty of this Board. You don't have to wade out in shark-infested waters alone... :headbang: