• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showcase #22 Club
13 13

7,061 posts in this topic

I dont know, I think there is waaaaay too much stigma associated with trimming. To me it says I dont need a 2nd mortgage to own a highest graded SC 22. That's just me I guess...

The comic society just HATES TRIMMED comics...maybe that will change someday. Again, that is a great looking book that won't break the bank.

I don't mind disclosed trimming one bit. I'd rather have a book with a little trim than a book with a large piece added.

(thumbs u

are you talking about comics here? hm

Of course.

(shrug)

I dont know, I think there is waaaaay too much stigma associated with trimming. To me it says I dont need a 2nd mortgage to own a highest graded SC 22. That's just me I guess...

The comic society just HATES TRIMMED comics...maybe that will change someday. Again, that is a great looking book that won't break the bank.

I don't mind disclosed trimming one bit. I'd rather have a book with a little trim than a book with a large piece added.

(thumbs u

I am just the opposite...I rather have a comic with a piece out (that occured somewhere in the life of the comics) than have one that someone intentionally cut up... that is just me... not saying it is right, just my opinion (thumbs u

(thumbs u

I am just the opposite...I rather have a comic with a piece out (that occured somewhere in the life of the comics) than have one that someone intentionally cut up... that is just me... not saying it is right, just my opinion (thumbs u

With a piece falling out naturally, it gives it a more "OO" feeling.

(thumbs u

Piece falling out, and one being put back in are two different things.

(thumbs u

A thought just popped up in my head. Why hasn't anyone thought of adding the missing trimmed piece of a book by restoration? I mean if a large pieces that were missing can be added, why not fix trimming?

It's not a new idea. The main quandary is that book then moves up in the amount of resto performed and an extensively restored book (which is what a book would be if all those wraps were fixed) is a lot less desirable (or just less valuable) than a moderately restored book, all other things (ie grade and eye appeal) being equal.

R.

A thought just popped up in my head. Why hasn't anyone thought of adding the missing trimmed piece of a book by restoration? I mean if a large pieces that were missing can be added, why not fix trimming?

It's not a new idea. The main quandary is that book then moves up in the amount of resto performed and an extensively restored book (which is what a book would be if all those wraps were fixed) is a lot less desirable (or just less valuable) than a moderately restored book, all other things (ie grade and eye appeal) being equal.

R.

actually, roy and I talked briefly about this same notion, this past weekend...no reason at all it can't be done, except, as mentioned, it increases the depth of resto...

Even with just a slight piece added to the trimmed area if the trimming was very minute? Wouldn't that constitute as slight restoration which would be valued more than a trimmed copy? Just talking about the cover of course

Edited by Dark Knight

Even with just a slight piece added to the trimmed area if the trimming was very minute? Wouldn't that constitute as slight restoration which would be valued more than a trimmed copy?
if you have to leaf cast or physically add an 8" by sliver or 10" by sliver, it is extensive (maybe mod)

Even with just a slight piece added to the trimmed area if the trimming was very minute? Wouldn't that constitute as slight restoration which would be valued more than a trimmed copy?
if you have to leaf cast or physically add an 8" by sliver or 10" by sliver, it is extensive (maybe mod)

Oh really. Wow, just that much added can already be extensive maybe mod. of lucky? But if it's just an inch or less that was trimmed at say the edge of a cover, then slight i guess?

The amount of work done to the book will determine what designation the book gets. Any piece added will likely get a moderate at least, so just fixing a cover (don't forget about color touch and repair to the artwork either) or one wrap (centerfold usually) will knock the book into MP. If you end up fixing multiple wraps you are looking at an extensive job.

I'd rather keep the book trimmed and relatively unrestored at that point.

The amount of work done to the book will determine what designation the book gets. Any piece added will likely get a moderate at least, so just fixing a cover (don't forget about color touch and repair to the artwork either) or one wrap (centerfold usually) will knock the book into MP. If you end up fixing multiple wraps you are looking at an extensive job.

Good enought for me. It just boggles me that a single tiny piece added would automatically get moderate at the very least. I thought I saw a label with a small piece added and still received a slight resto. notation. Of course I could be wrong.

Good enought for me. It just boggles me that a single tiny piece added would automatically get moderate at the very least. I thought I saw a label with a small piece added and still received a slight resto. notation. Of course I could be wrong.

small piece would likely mean a bindary chip or small corner...

small piece would likely mean a bindary chip or small corner...

(thumbs u

I'm not 100% sure but I am pretty (99%) sure that as soon as a piece is added the resto becomes moderate.

there are many examples of small piece added being "slight" ... size of the piece, in combination with other resto, will determine if a book can remain slight, or advance to moderate

there are many examples of small piece added being "slight" ... size of the piece, in combination with other resto, will determine if a book can remain slight, or advance to moderate

Interesting. My MMC #4 (which you know well) has two tiny pieces added (chips at top and bottom of spine) and it got a moderate when it was graded years ago but it does have a little reinforcement at one staple as well.

I've never seen a "Slight" book with a piece added.

Can you remove pieces easily? If yes, it might be worth it to buy a restored copy like that for cheap, remove the work, and sell it for a tidy profit as unrestored?

Interesting. My MMC #4 (which you know well) has two tiny pieces added (chips at top and bottom of spine) and it got a moderate when it was graded years ago but it does have a little reinforcement at one staple as well.

I've never seen a "Slight" book with a piece added.

I've seen bunches... here is one example off the top of my head, but I have seen tons over the years

usa6.jpg