• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What was your initial reason..

90 posts in this topic

I came here looking for information about CGC comics I kept seeing in feebay all the time...been posting here everyday for over a year now...

It's been a while...I think I followed a link from a dealer's website and checked out the forums and it looked like fun. There were some real cards on here back then. I think there were barely a thousand members then.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

OK, I'll admit it....The publicity surrounding the Death of Capt America back in '07 awakened my comic collecting bug after 25 years. Did a google search for comic forums to see what trends were happening in the hobby and found this site.

Initially enjoyed the information and seeing the honest appreciation for the hobby. Then I discovered the Marketplace forum.... :takeit:

..for joining these boards?

For me it was to ask a question regarding grading and submission.

Nik invited me after I had an eBay auction running and they were discussing my book on here.

R.

In 2001, I was searching all over the Internet for a forum to discuss high grade collecting. I was particularly interested in learning to detect restoration and to grade as tightly as possible, as my purchase of an overgraded, restored Daredevil #1 in 2000 stuck in my craw for years, and I suppose it still does. :pullhair: I couldn't find anything, just certain sites where people posted blog-style about it, before the word "blog" was in popular use (term was coined in 1999). One of those sites was comicinvestor.com run by a certain controversial 20,000+ poster here whose forum name was originally titled after his web site (comicinvestor) until his increasingly Marxist philosophies apparently caused him to snap into a fit of self-loathing. :baiting:

Anyway, I was thinking about starting my own forum to talk about this crud, but having run message boards in college, I really didn't want to, because it's a lot of boring work. I figured the best way to do it would be to get it set up on the site of something popular in the hobby. I figured I'd try to convince some already-established industry figure to do it, and if they wouldn't, I'd offer to set it up for them. I originally really wanted to get Overstreet to do it, but Geppi then and now hasn't done much to establish a web presence for that publication, so it seemed hopeless. I also thought about Wizard and CGC at about the same time. CGC's web site was pretty decent even in in 2001, and Wizard's was even better, so they both seemed pretty decent, although CGC seemed better just because of the nature of their business.

I then sat on that idea for a few months. I checked back here in early 2002 and was relieved and delighted to see CGC had already had this idea. :cloud9: Right from the start I tried to post as often and verbosely as I could to get people talking about grading and restoration so I wouldn't ever have to go through the hell that Architect and Dena do. :makepoint:

I joined the registry in 2003 and lurked around the boards for a long while before joining in 2007. I most likely made a registry request as my first post.

When I found the selling forum, my savings starting to dwindle but no complaints as I've picked up some wonderful books.

In 2001, I was searching all over the Internet for a forum to discuss high grade collecting. I was particularly interested in learning to detect restoration and to grade as tightly as possible, as my purchase of an overgraded, restored Daredevil #1 in 2000 stuck in my craw for years, and I suppose it still does. :pullhair: I couldn't find anything, just certain sites where people posted blog-style about it, before the word "blog" was in popular use (term was coined in 1999). One of those sites was comicinvestor.com run by a certain controversial 20,000+ poster here whose forum name was originally titled after his web site (comicinvestor) until his increasingly Marxist philosophies apparently caused him to snap into a fit of self-loathing. :baiting:

Anyway, I was thinking about starting my own forum to talk about this crud, but having run message boards in college, I really didn't want to, because it's a lot of boring work. I figured the best way to do it would be to get it set up on the site of something popular in the hobby. I figured I'd try to convince some already-established industry figure to do it, and if they wouldn't, I'd offer to set it up for them. I originally really wanted to get Overstreet to do it, but Geppi then and now hasn't done much to establish a web presence for that publication, so it seemed hopeless. I also thought about Wizard and CGC at about the same time. CGC's web site was pretty decent even in in 2001, and Wizard's was even better, so they both seemed pretty decent, although CGC seemed better just because of the nature of their business.

I then sat on that idea for a few months. I checked back here in early 2002 and was relieved and delighted to see CGC had already had this idea. :cloud9: Right from the start I tried to post as often and verbosely as I could to get people talking about grading and restoration so I wouldn't ever have to go through the hell that Architect and Dena do. :makepoint:

Great story! :applause:

Read the article from the CBG weekly email back then where Craig (Mr. Silver Age) Shutt was arguing for GSXM #1 as the start of the Bronze Age. He referenced these forums and someone I now know as Supapimp in particular, so I just had to log on to set you all straight! :blahblah:

Great story! :applause:

Another part of that story which just occurred to me is that my best replacement in 2001 for what this board does was e-mails, and by far, the best person I ever conversed with, having exchanged 100+ long-as-hell e-mails with him, was comic-keys / robojo33. Throughout the first half of 2001, I just loved e-mailing that guy, as he would write back pages and pages of well-written, greatly detailed info about the market, restoration, and grading. In late 2001 I found out from Bob Storms who he was after we both almost got ripped off by Matt Stanley on a huge 9.x early Spidey run from E-Bay. Finding out what a crook he's been was really disappointing. :sorry:

Then in late 2002 he came on here as Hammer, and wow, was that, err, fun. :makepoint: I miss him--too bad such an intelligent, well-spoken guy is such an incredible . :tonofbricks:

Just to be cool like you guys. :cool:

However, I found out that most of you are all a bunch of flea infested hippies with no lives, who only bathe when a solar eclipse happens and who really like to rant and rave about stuff nobody really cares about. :insane:

I needed a new batch of the unaware to inflict myself upon...

Translation:

I was banned from the Valiant boards. :baiting:

I'll take this one:

He wasn't banned in 2005, when he joined up here.

:devil:

-slym