• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Terrible news concerning nik.

623 posts in this topic

I remember during the grading contests I would PM him my guess with a header like, "Grade #5....or the best 3 years of my life", and he would write something funny back. He was a lot of fun to talk to, and he will be missed for a long time.

I have been silent so far following the sad developments and cannot fathom the devastation his family is going through. Our hopes and prayers for a better tomorrow go to his wife and kids.

I casually met Nik in Chicago last year but remember most his first ever grading contest. We went to Europe in the middle of the contest and I found time every other day to sneak out, log in and PM my grades to Nik who always responded cryptically in an infectious manner as I updated him on my vacation activities. I distinctly remember walking from the beach in Juan Les Pins, sending my grade and check my score and chatting with Nik. Alas, those days are now gone ... :( Still, there will always be sunshine in my best memory of Nik.

I've always enjoyed Nik's Grading Contests so when the opportunity came to help out with the results, it was an easy decision. Those grading contests brought a lot of people onto the boards, and I think people learned a lot about grading just by participating. I know Nik had to plan ahead for months to get ready for the contests, even trying to time it to happen between census updates. It was a lot of work, but I think it also brought him a lot of satisfaction and I hope he knew how much we all appreciated it.

This is a profound loss.

My condolences to Nik's family and friends.

Always enjoyed his input + posts on the boards + was fortunate to get to meet him

in NY at the National. I didn't know him as well as many of you + yet the numbness + the sorrow are the same. He will be missed. :(

I've always enjoyed Nik's Grading Contests so when the opportunity came to help out with the results, it was an easy decision. Those grading contests brought a lot of people onto the boards, and I think people learned a lot about grading just by participating. I know Nik had to plan ahead for months to get ready for the contests, even trying to time it to happen between census updates. It was a lot of work, but I think it also brought him a lot of satisfaction and I hope he knew how much we all appreciated it.

This is a profound loss.

My condolences to Nik's family and friends.

To say it is a profound loss is truly an understatement. I feel like I had my guts ripped out this week.

This is brutal beyond words. I'm having a hard time grasping it...

Oh God... :sorry:

Man, I was hoping for some better news when I checked in today.

:(

I just spoke with Nik's brother Harry and he informed me Nik will pass away shortly, it is only a matter of time. I wish I misunderstood him, but I didn't.

I cheated myself in meeting him at Heroes con this year. In fact, I still have his voice mail on my phone as he brought books for me. Damn, I'm speechless...I will live everyday carpe diem from here on out. Taking a step back, I realize how much I take for granted. No more.

My thoughts are on him and his family.

DAMN!

I just got home to this and I am speechless...(my father-in-law had a fairly massive stroke 3 months ago and we are still administering to that and my dad just passed away last Sept 08)...I'll have something to say soon and wanted to post my most extreme condolences to nik's family and prayers of course but I am just wiped out by this news...as a husband and father and in my brief knowing and interaction with him I have never "known" a finer human being...

God Bless Nikos and Family...

This is such bad news. I was hoping that it was a mild stroke given Nik's age and health, but I guess the worst happened. I've known Nik through the boards for years, but never got the chance to meet him in person. He is such a kind man, a good husband and a great father. He will definitely be missed. :(

I have been trying to figure out what to say or do. I still don't know. I gave my wife and daughter extra hugs tonight. I know it doesn't help him or his family, but I don't know what else to do.

Alex Hunter

He was too young for something like this to happen and that should make all of us, no matter what age we are, look at where we are and what we have and be thankful and embrace it because it can all be taken away so suddenly.

It sounds like you did tonight exactly what Nik was doing every night in his house.

I'm really sorry to hear this news, I haven't posted much over the past few years like I did in years previous.. part of the reason was that every time I wanted to post something Nik had already come on and pretty much articulated what I had planned to say. It's a shame that these boards may lose a great friend and a true voice of reason. He would be simply impossible to replace.

Brian

I'm so sorry to hear about Nik. I don't know what to say other than I wish him peace and offer my condolences to his family. Nik is a great person who embodies the positive spirit of the comic collecting community.

After speaking with Nik's wife earlier this evening, the Nik we all know and love is more than likely gone.

Niky had what is classified as a massive stroke. Due to the carotid artery being blocked, the entire left side of his brain was severely damaged. It will not regenerate, not even with drastic measures, i.e.drilling to alleviate pressure. His neurologist is Tedy Bruschi's doctor. It was concluded that even if they drilled he would be left with no language, receptive or expressive, no memory, no cognition, he would be on a ventilator, feeding tube and catheter.

The Niky we know could not be saved. The Niky I know would not live like that.

I want to feel sadness for Nik and his family, but all I feel is anger.

Nik was unbelievably generous. I remember once having a very minor misunderstanding with him on the boards; we cleared it all up via PM quite quickly, but for some reason I felt like he may have still had some resentment towards me. Shortly after, I posted a message on the boards asking for a U.S board member's help in getting something shipped to me. Nik was the first to volunteer. The fact that he was willing to help was nice enough, but when I asked him how much he needed to ship the item to me once he received it, he said "it's on me". So not only was he doing me a favor after I thought he had some kind of problem with me, he was also willing to go out of pocket because that was just a part of his generous nature.

I sent him more than what was required to ship to me with a message telling him to buy himself a beer on me. That tiny gesture on his part made me realize that I was the one who had a problem, and that he wasn't at all affected by the BS I projected onto him. It was a flaw in my character that he exposed with the strength of his. I was extremely humbled.

That's why I'm angry. The world needs more people like him, yet it seems that they're always the ones who are struck down too damn early.

The Resurrection updated me on Nik's situation and although I'm still a newbie here and didn't know Nik very well I'll always remember him for selling me my first slab. My thoughts and prayers are with his family and loved ones.

I never got to meet Nik personally....but after reading the experiences of those in here who did...it really makes me wish I had.

I have always enjoyed his contributions on the boards and I'm sure everyone in here would agree that he represents the best of us.

Godspeed, Nik. :(