• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Marvel Picture Frame books
23 23

4,794 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, WernerVonDoom said:

So I almost bid on the FF #120 9.8 on CL tonight. My finger was hovering over the mouse button as the timer ran out - just couldn't spend the $6500+.

I hope someone on here was able to get it.

Do you remember if it's the one with ow/w pages or my old copy with white pages, which sold last September for $3400?

Edited by namisgr

Nice book, and sale price both.  It's new to the census, and seeing as how the Suscha News copies of picture frame Marvels were encapsulated years ago, is almost certainly an upgraded copy.

5 hours ago, namisgr said:

Nice book, and sale price both.  It's new to the census, and seeing as how the Suscha News copies of picture frame Marvels were encapsulated years ago, is almost certainly an upgraded copy.

I thought the 9.8 count for this book has been at 3 for while, but I guess not. Either way, it's a beauty.

On 5/27/2021 at 7:17 AM, namisgr said:

They could have just sent it in for the new pedigree label. 

29 minutes ago, joeypost said:

They could have just sent it in for the new pedigree label. 

It was graded April, 2021, be it for whatever reason.  But the Suscha picture frames all first made it to market over 10 years ago, and as of last September there were only 2 9.8 copies of this ish in the census, so this 9.8 grade is new and almost certainly from a re-grading.

Edited by namisgr

4 minutes ago, namisgr said:

It was graded April, 2021, be it for a pressing and re-grade or just a straight re-grade.  But the Suscha picture frames all first made it to market over 10 years ago, and as of last September there were only 2 9.8 copies of this ish in the census.

Did the census lose a 9.6?

19 minutes ago, namisgr said:

I have no idea, but I'd bet a lot that Metropolis didn't hold back a copy of FF120 for 11 years before getting it graded.

I would agree with you, but I still get in raw Sucha books to work on from time to time from collectors. 

25 minutes ago, joeypost said:

I would agree with you, but I still get in raw Sucha books to work on from time to time from collectors. 

I own a couple myself, Joe, in my raw picture frame and underground collections.  But the Suschas kept raw were defective in one way or another to preclude any 9.6 or better grades, at least without being manipulated.  Metro is one of the last sellers to be expected to leave money on the table, especially on a high dollar Bronze book like the one above.

Edited by namisgr

2 hours ago, namisgr said:

But the Suschas kept raw were defective in one way or another to preclude any 9.6 or better grades, at least without being manipulated

Would you happen to know whether or not Suschas were bought off the rack? From everything I've read he picked them out from a pallet before making it to the rack. 

Spinner racks really were defect-inducing to new books.  Packed tight, kids would often paw through a stack to see whether there were any different titles behind the book that was showing.  To get copies without the resulting spine stress lines, you had to get to them on the day they were received and first displayed, Wednesdays in the mid-Atlantic region at the time.

But there were also some news agencies and drug stores that would use tiered wooden shelves to display books and magazines, and my recollection is it was easier to find comics in pristine shape that way than from the local 7-11 spinner.  It's impressive that the Suscha News collector had the interest in grade quality and the foresight to strike a deal to get books before they even were put out for display.  And it shows in the consistent and incredible quality of the picture frame comics.

Edited by namisgr