• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Marvel Picture Frame books
23 23

4,790 posts in this topic

Here is a list of all the picture frames (as far as I know) along with the months they were published. The first PFs were cover dated November and December 1971, although non-PFs were also published during these two months. As far as I can tell, every Marvel comic cover dated 1972 was a PF, although I have highlighted in yellow those that aren't true PFs (in my opinion). After December 1972 the PFs stopped dead with the exception of War is Hell #3, cover dated May 1973.

As far as I know, the last 15 cent issues were published in September 1971. After that the runs either went to 20 cent PFs or 25 cent 52 pagers, some being PFs and some not. I've highlighted the issue numbers of the 52 page PFs in red.

Mike

Edited to include info provided below.

PictureFrames-1.jpg

Edited by Monkeyman

Great list, Mike!

Some minor additions you might want to consider:

Fear #6, Thor #193, Special Marvel Edition #4, and Western Gunfighters #7 are all 52 pagers, I believe.

Hulk #159 was released in 1/73. But I think it fits the classic Picture Frame bill.

Fear6.jpg

Thor193.jpg

SpecMarvelEd4-92.jpg

WesternGunfighters7-96.jpg

Hulk159.jpg

Our Love Story 14-20

My Love 14-20

These are the only picture frame love comics and I've never found any in high grade.

I used to own most of these at one point, but they sold and were dispersed to the wind. Greggy got many of them if I recall correctly.

Great list, Mike!

Some minor additions you might want to consider:

Fear #6, Thor #193, Special Marvel Edition #4, and Western Gunfighters #7 are all 52 pagers, I believe.

Hulk #159 was released in 1/73. But I think it fits the classic Picture Frame bill.

Thanks for catching those 52 pagers and the Hulk. I've updated the chart in my previous post.

Mike

Our Love Story 14-20

My Love 14-20

These are the only picture frame love comics and I've never found any in high grade.

I used to own most of these at one point, but they sold and were dispersed to the wind. Greggy got many of them if I recall correctly.

I got all the raws that you listed and the slabbed one when you consigned it with Qualitycomix. :whee:

Here's one missing from the other shots that I'll try and upgrade some day, but it is nicely wrapped with white pages and generally presents well.

HeroforHire1.jpg

Edited by Monkeyman

Here are the others in a couple more group shots.

A properly wrapped Conan 16 had eluded me for a while, but I finally found one. :acclaim:

The Cap 155 (second from left, top row) is one of the 1972 comics I don't consider to be true PFs.

001.jpg

Edited by Monkeyman

Awesome collection Monkeyman, any chance of a better look at the Monsters on the prowl #20? I love that cover.

I'll scan that one and get it up later.

Monsters20380.jpg

Wow! So HG copies of this book does exist, guess I will just have to look harder.

Thanks for the scan Mm.

Sub52CGC98Suscha.jpg

Hey, Peter, that book is awesome!

The production quality is tight and right on target.

The printer QA staff was obviously on the job (and wide-awake) that day.

Congrats on a great acquisition! :applause:

I just found this thread and thought I'd share my PF collection. As with all my comics, I focus on presentation so what I have is square cut and mostly perfectly wrapped with good page quality, clean back covers and no tanning halos.

Welcome to the thread, Mike!

Great looking books. And I agree with your focus...

Production quality and visual presentation is king in my book! :golfclap:

RingoKid12-98.jpg

Wow!

I say again... WOW!

That square bound is freakin' nice, Barton.

And it's in the same category as your Hulk Special #4 and Daredevil Special #3.

It's extremely hard to find SBs with such squared wraps and spot-on production.

You continue to nail the superb ones.

Congratulations, you SOB, you! lol