• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Marvel Picture Frame books
23 23

4,794 posts in this topic

Wow! I need to check in more often.

Some amazing books posted after my last visit.

And huge props to you, Barton. This here specimen is extraordinary.

To think it survived 43 years in its current condition, without post-production help, is inconceivable.

Truly a remarkable specimen. And one that is well deserving of its status as...

"The Single Best Copy in Existence!" :applause:

I haven't been this happy about a Picture Frame addition in a very long time:

nBltvQ.jpg

Great looking book, Bob.

Another tough black-bordered picture frame.

You've got a winner there, with perfecto cover cut production alignment.

It IS truly a standout, to say the least. :golfclap:

BTW... I noticed a 9.6 for sale on eBay. It's adorned with an ugly cover miss wrap.

I'll pass on that one, because I'd take one like yours any day of the week over that fugly one. lol

The Hitler covers tended to be deservedly framed in black.

SpecialEdition7cgc.jpg

A few years ago we were discussing several books in the production run that did not conform to the conventional picture frame design. Namely, Cat#1, ASM#113, ASM#115, and CA#155. (link)

Recently, I obtained what was advertised as an original acetate cover used during the production of CA#155. What appears significant about the item is that it ostensibly verifies CA#155 was initially produced in the standard PF format. For some reason, however, its cover design and the placement of two character elements changed prior to final print production.

If anyone has additional insight or clarification on the subject, I'd love to hear it. hm

CA155%20COVERS.jpg

That's really cool to see the picture frame version of the Cap155. Side by side, it certainly looks like the black and yellow circle background is the more striking design of the two.

I don't have any additional insights. But I'm curious why they chose to swap the Skull and Bucky. They were both looking at Cap in the original art. But as published, they're not. It works fine both ways and still a cool cover in either case.

That's really cool to see the picture frame version of the Cap155. Side by side, it certainly looks like the black and yellow circle background is the more striking design of the two.

Thanks for the thoughts, Guys. (thumbs u

I suspect the Sal Buscema illustration changed after the Marvel production staff learned it was difficult to color.

The apparent use of too many black 'excitement' lines (those surrounding Cap) complicated the other character elements, making the figures blend with the background instead of standing out in sharp contrast. The cover seems overworked in its original size. Perhaps it was more so once reduced to comic book production size.

The use of the circles, with help of the color scheme, eliminated the confusion and enabled the dramatic effect, making it more pleasant to look at and easier for the reader to understand.

2c

Here's another interesting study. This time an apparent Kane original that changed prior to final production.

I came across the penciled cover while conducting some internet research, here.

The notation accompanying the cover advert states "Red Wolf #1 3-D Box style cover, rare un-inked, finished pencil, 1st version, Red Wolf's position changed on final comic".

Although the listing attributes the cover to Kane and Severin, I don't believe Severin's hand is visible in the original illustration. That's all Kane to me.

That said, Severin is unmistakably present in the published version (and credited so along with Kane on the cover).

Again, all comments welcomed. :)

RW-1_cover-compare.jpg

I suspect Severin's credit is mostly for inking. Red Wolf's left hand on the published version is still very Kane-esque. The additional guy in the center looks like Kane figure too. Not sure about the new guy on the right.

I imagine the editor or whoever wanted to see more of Red Wolf since it was a first issue. And I guess that's understandable. But I think the finished product lost some of the dynamic qualities of the original pencils. I wish Tom Palmer or Klaus Janson had done the inks instead.

Somebody or somebodies paid up for some Picture Frame X-Men in the current ComicLink Auction. I'd guess they're X-Men collectors, not necessarily Picture Frame guys. Either way, sweet books. big prices.

X-Men #76 CGC 9.6

X-Men #79 CGC 9.6

I sold that very same copy of 76 about 3 years ago for less than half of the hammer price :cry:

And the only reason I even sold it was because I thought the 9.6 wasn't deserving with a corner crease which isn't as obvious from the scan as it is in hand. Sonofa

Wow, how much did the MTA 6 run you? That's a nice book and very HTF in NM or higher.

It was cheap, $5. But I don't think it's a 9.4. It has about 4 hairline stress marks on the spine that are hard to see in the scan.

As you and Bob well know, it's a beast to find a really sweet copy. But I keep trying...

DATRnz.jpgPhjzBf.jpg

I see the stress marks but I think it will still get a 9.4. They are very light. And it is a beaut of a book :cloud9: