• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Marvel Picture Frame books
23 23

4,794 posts in this topic

Somebody or somebodies paid up for some Picture Frame X-Men in the current ComicLink Auction. I'd guess they're X-Men collectors, not necessarily Picture Frame guys. Either way, sweet books. big prices.

X-Men #76 CGC 9.6

X-Men #79 CGC 9.6

Whoa. There have been some records set the last month.

I suspect Severin's credit is mostly for inking. Red Wolf's left hand on the published version is still very Kane-esque. The additional guy in the center looks like Kane figure too. Not sure about the new guy on the right.

I imagine the editor or whoever wanted to see more of Red Wolf since it was a first issue. And I guess that's understandable. But I think the finished product lost some of the dynamic qualities of the original pencils. I wish Tom Palmer or Klaus Janson had done the inks instead.

I tend to agree with you, the published version lacks energy. It's just kinda blah.

Roy Thomas said very few of Kane's western covers were changed when he was editor-in-chief (Thomas became EIC in '72). Reason being, "nobody cared about the western that much. They were mediocre sellers, at best, by that point."

This cover, however, changed as a result of the Severin embellishment. And not in a good way, IMO. :(

Interesting thought about using Palmer or Janson instead of Severin. It led me to research just how many different inkers embellished Kane during the period. Here's what I found, thanks to a great resource: Gil Kane Art and Interviews.

kane-PF-inkers.gif

Oh by the way, the new guy on the right? If I'm not mistaken, that's Severin. I'd recognize that crazed look anywhere. lol

severin-crazed-wildman.jpg

Edited by MasterChief

For me, it's hard to beat Palmer's inks on Kane's pencils. Romita did great inks too but he had a very heavy hand and sometimes the covers looked more like Romita's work than Kane's.

PDUKYx.jpg

Killer book, Barton. Palmer did a fantastic job, too. And what a great example to show with Halloween being just around the corner. :applause:

I'm waiting for confirmation on this beauty:

dd91_cgc98_73013_zpsff04v1xm.jpg

Terrific looking book, Peter!

Here's hoping you're successful in the acquisition. :wishluck:

As for me, I absolutely adore the Suscha News collection.

It's a wonderful assemblage with a story where books were originally acquired from a small town news distributor, right from the backroom receiving dock location, no less.

Just for those that might be unknowing... here's a bit of FYI.

There are loads of Pictures Frames in the Suscha News collection. Plenty of duplicates, too -- with multiple high-grade copies of the same, no less!

The original collector knew EXACTLY what he was doing when he cherry pick each and every copy right from the wholesaler pallet during initial distribution in Sheboygan, Wisconsin.

Here's to you, Mr. Gearlds. You, my friend, have enabled your fellow enthusiast to re-experience the wonders of the Marvel Age with your amazing Suscha News collection from the early '70s. (thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u

susha-news%20-%20Copy.jpg

I'm waiting for confirmation on this beauty:

dd91_cgc98_73013_zpsff04v1xm.jpg

Terrific looking book, Peter!

Here's hoping you're successful in the acquisition. :wishluck:

As for me, I absolutely adore the Suscha News collection.

It's a wonderful assemblage with a story where books were originally acquired from a small town news distributor, right from the backroom receiving dock location, no less.

Just for those that might be unknowing... here's a bit of FYI.

There are loads of Pictures Frames in the Suscha News collection. Plenty of duplicates, too -- with multiple high-grade copies of the same, no less!

The original collector knew EXACTLY what he was doing when he cherry pick each and every copy right from the wholesaler pallet during initial distribution in Sheboygan, Wisconsin.

Here's to you, Mr. Gearlds. You, my friend, have enabled your fellow enthusiast to re-experience the wonders of the Marvel Age with your amazing Suscha News collection from the early '70s. (thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u

susha-news%20-%20Copy.jpg

:applause: