• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Marvel Picture Frame books
23 23

4,794 posts in this topic

MOTP17FC-Oakland_zpsaxbbcj3k.jpg

Another remarkable procurement, Peter -- one of only 3 copies certified 9.6! :golfclap:

Not a single book at this point has cracked the 9.8 barrier.

It is uncommon in high grade, no doubt.

So much so the Suscha News collection contains only a single copy.

It's an uncertified specimen which I was fortunate to obtain a few years back... :cloud9:

MOTP-17_SUSCHA_1.jpg

MOTP17FC-Oakland_zpsaxbbcj3k.jpg

Another remarkable procurement, Peter -- one of only 3 copies certified 9.6! :golfclap:

Not a single book at this point has cracked the 9.8 barrier.

It is uncommon in high grade, no doubt.

So much so the Suscha News collection contains only a single copy.

It's an uncertified specimen which I was fortunate to obtain a few years back... :cloud9:

MOTP-17_SUSCHA_1.jpg

I have a lowly 9.4 and the white mountain copy in 9.2.

It’s back because nobody demanded it – The Picture Frame Scarcity Index!

Just a few books fell off the list since the last time. We really need another Suscha News, Don Rosa, or Oakland-esque collection to surface. Preferably one owned by a fastidious nut job who bought Millie the Model and Li'l Kids. (I write that affectionately.)

Besides lists of books with either zero or one 9.4 or better copy, I added a list of extra tough hero books like Hulk #158 and Iron Man #44.

There probably is something to the thought that black covers are harder to find in uber high grade. 7 of the 9 tough hero books have black covers. And the other two have dark colors too - Iron Man #44 is dark brown, Captain Marvel #22 is deep blue.

No copies in CGC 9.4 or better:

Harvey #3, 5

Li'l Kids #4, 7, 9

Millie The Model #194, 195, 196, 197, 198, 199

My Love #20

Our Love Story #20

Ringo Kid #17

Special Marvel Edition #4

One copy in CGC 9.4 or better:

Chili #18 19, 20

Harvey #6

Li’l Kids #5, 6

Li'l Pals #1, 2

Marvel's Greatest Comics #34, 39

Marvel Triple Action #6

Mighty Marvel Western #17

My Love #14, 16, 18, 19

Our Love Story #17, 18, 19

Rawhide Kid #103

Ringo Kid #13, 14, 15

Special Marvel Edition #6

Two-Gun Kid #101, 102, 103

Western Gunfighters #8, 10

Western Kid #3, 5

Wyatt Earp #31

Tough hero books in CGC 9.6 or better:

Avengers #103 (6 in 9.6)

Avengers #105 (8 in 9.6)

Captain Marvel #22 (4 in 9.6)

Daredevil #86 (1 9.8, 4 in 9.6)

Incredible Hulk #158 (6 in 9.6)

Iron Man #44 (6 in 9.6)

Sub-Mariner #43 (6 in 9.6)

X-Men #76 (4 in 9.6)

X-Men #79 (1 in 9.8, 1 in 9.6)

Thanks, Barton, for taking the time to collate these data and for posting them.

Problem is, it's a reminder of how difficult my task is of assembling complete sets in the grades I'd like of the Superhero, Horror, War, Western, and reprint books. :(

Thanks, Barton, for taking the time to collate these data and for posting them.

Problem is, it's a reminder of how difficult my task is of assembling complete sets in the grades I'd like of the Superhero, Horror, War, Western, and reprint books. :(

Tell me about it.

Thanks for the list Barton. You would have to think that there should be another half dozen collections like Suscha News that should surface over the next 10 years. :wishluck:

half dozen seems optimistic....but I guess some of the super collectors might be passing on or more willing to sell as they age???

Thanks for the list Barton. You would have to think that there should be another half dozen collections like Suscha News that should surface over the next 10 years. :wishluck:

half dozen seems optimistic....but I guess some of the super collectors might be passing on or more willing to sell as they age???

Seems like a semi-morbid thought . . . hm

This has been said multiple times ever since I joined the boards... back in 2002. It's not working out that way. In those 13+ years we've had what 2-3 pedigrees (Don Rosa, Rocky Mountain, Suscha, any others?) surface that included uber high grade early bronze.

Yes you would think there are more. I'm sure there are more. But either there are far less than people here think or they just aren't being found.

This has been said multiple times ever since I joined the boards... back in 2002. It's not working out that way. In those 13+ years we've had what 2-3 pedigrees (Don Rosa, Rocky Mountain, Suscha, any others?) surface that included uber high grade early bronze.

Yes you would think there are more. I'm sure there are more. But either there are far less than people here think or they just aren't being found.

Twin Cities, Golden State collection. I think the bronze age collectors are still relatively young but you would think that over the next 10 years some will unload their collections.

I've been part of some some lively discussions here about this same topic. And count me in as somebody who thinks these killer Bronze collections are extremely rare and there are probably not that many more to come.

I'm sure there are plenty of 9.2/9.4ish original owner collections still out there. But the 9.6/9.8 varieties like the Oaklands and Suschas require a very rare breed of collector. And so far, there's not much evidence to make us believe a lot more of these folks ever existed.

(I'm talking early Bronze, like pre-1974, by the way. After that, these books seem to get a lot more plentiful.)

Edited by Ghost Town

I tend to agree with you guys but I hope your wrong. There has to be a few more Suscha News collections out there. They don't have to be pedigree collections just piles of unknown high grade books held tightly by long time collectors. Everyone thought the GA collections were done and then Billy Wright showed up and stuff like the Cicorel OA books and the Atlantic City collection. I look at Guys like John Verzyl that have one of the greatest collection around [ultra high grade Timleys!] and he really hasn't shared them publicly in years.

A main problem with keeping a collection of SA and early Bronze in NM+ and better shape is moving. When putting one's comics into boxes and schlepping them from one residence to another, it was really tough to avoid edge or corner dings in the days before backing boards.

I think most of the finest pedigree collections were accumulated at a residence and stayed put there, at least until the era of widespread bagging and boarding.

I think there are definitely more out there. Just not as many as some on these boards think/assume. At least not in the 9.6/9.8 stratosphere as Barton says. 9.2/9.4 is much easier but then that is below what the bronze uber grade guys collect.

That's a great book, Peter. Amazingly, it somehow managed to avoid the Savannah Cream to Off-White Pages Curse!

Yeah I just detest this pedigree because of all the poor PQ issues. This is a recent collection we forgot to mention but if books like this can survive in the humid temps of Georgia then I have my fingers crossed that there are still [hopefully] a few nice collections sitting in the midwest somewhere. :wishluck:

That's a great book, Peter. Amazingly, it somehow managed to avoid the Savannah Cream to Off-White Pages Curse!

Yeah I just detest this pedigree because of all the poor PQ issues. This is a recent collection we forgot to mention but if books like this can survive in the humid temps of Georgia then I have my fingers crossed that there are still [hopefully] a few nice collections sitting in the midwest somewhere. :wishluck:

The Savannah's were stored in different places and some have rather nice PQ..... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u