• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,898 posts in this topic

I was at a yard sale in western MA a couple weeks back and stumbled onto something pretty cool - a TMNT sketch done by Peter Laird on a fence with a Ninja Turtles mural.

Laird, who lives in the area, had apparently stopped at the sale several years ago (it's a recurring thing), saw the mural, and added some impromptu art with his Sharpie. Pretty cool!

CB2FF828.jpg

E9B4E173.jpg

I picked this up at a local estate sale this morning. Graphic Gallery #4 from 1974 with painted front and back covers from Carl Barks. Not sure if it's worth anything or not but it was a cool item to pick up for a buck. Seems like I've seen one of these posted in here before somewhere. hm

GraphicGallery4.jpg

I also picked up a bunch of Life and Look magazines from the late '60s to early '70s with covers featuring Marilyn Monroe, Racquel Welch, Robert Redford, Clint Eastwood, the George Wallace and Martin Luther King assassinations, the Kent State shootings, the '69 Miracle Mets, Apollo 7 and a couple of Man on the Moon. (thumbs u

Here's this evening's haul from an "early-bird" yard sale call I got earlier this afternoon. It really is amazing what some people have squirreled away in their garages and basements.

This is probably not my most...rational...yard sale/flea market purchase this year (lots of multiples), but it is kinda cool in its own way I guess (even though my wife doesn't quite see it that way)...

------------------------------------------------

Except for the big Dreadstar run, nearly all of these piles are actually stacks of multiples (minimum of 5-10 copies each per book -- but most stacks are much bigger than that). When I woke up this morning, I hadn't planned on buying every remaining unsold copy of Cap #115 and Nick Fury #18, but it happens, y'know? :)

yardsale1.jpg

More multiples, including 2 fairly nice copies of Spidey Super Stories #1 and Captain Marvel #18 & #30...and a sheit-load of Spidey Annual 8s and FF 175s & 177s...

yardsale2.jpg

Some cool trades, a Miracleman lot, and a stack of 1976 Jimmy Carter coloring books by Neal Adams...

yardsale3.jpg

And...as if I needed more oddball crepe in my house...an unopened distributor bundle of (you guessed it) Nick Fury #18.... :insane:

yardsale4.jpg

That's quite a few reader copy's of Nick 18

(thumbs u

Definitely. On the other hand, some of the "un-bundled"/loose copies I got in this same lot are actually pretty nice (i.e., in the VF range). But the copies still tied up in the bundle--at least at the top and bottom of the stack--are a mess, it's true (not sure about the ones in the middle). Still, I plan to leave the whole damn thing as-is. I think it's cool that it's stayed that way for over 40 years...so why disturb it, y'know...?

I am a self storage manager and it came from an abandoned unit.

The only games are the two that are pictured.

How do I clean ghis thing?

Thanks for your help

Hello,

I am NOT responsible for any damage done to the system by taking this advice. You do this under your own free will.

If you don't have the original RF switch, get a pair of AV cables. The side of these units do accept AV inputs.

Clean the games with a solution of rubbing alcohol and very little water (depending on the percentage of alcohol used). Use a q-tip and and dip it in the solution and clean the contacts on the cartridges the best you can.

To clean the system: I will assume you do not have a cleaning kit handy, so we will compromise. That SMB/Duck Hunt cartridge is worth less than a dollar and this may not hurt it. Use the q-tip covered in rubbing alcohol and put it on the contacts of the cart. You do NOT want it dripping wet, but you do want it moist.

Insert the cartidge and press down usually half way until it hits the system's contacts. Keeping pushing it back and forth in the system; stopping to clean the cartridge's contacts again and again. Repeat this process.

The system may or may not work properly after this. Do NOT test the system while the games and system are wet from the cleaning.

This is way you clean NES systems with common items.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

PS: If this doesn't work and the system does not work, assuming it powers on, we know the power cord is good. Those are worth about $7-$10 on the open market on a good day.

These (systems) can be repaired (assuming it powers on, by replacing the system's PIN connector. The cost is usually not worth the effort. Like I said, I sell these systems wholesale with games for $29.95 and yes, that does include the light gun!

Thanks for your advice, I'll try to clean it without destroying it

Speaking of NES, do any of you video game guys know the best place to buy a new 72 pin connector?

I have one that needs to be replaced and I am reluctant to buy from just anyone without a recommendation from someone I know.

(thumbs u

Definitely. On the other hand, some of the "un-bundled"/loose copies I got in this same lot are actually pretty nice (i.e., in the VF range). But the copies still tied up in the bundle--at least at the top and bottom of the stack--are a mess, it's true (not sure about the ones in the middle). Still, I plan to leave the whole damn thing as-is. I think it's cool that it's stayed that way for over 40 years...so why disturb it, y'know...?

So cool!! I love finds like this.

Here's this evening's haul from an "early-bird" yard sale call I got earlier this afternoon. It really is amazing what some people have squirreled away in their garages and basements.

This is probably not my most...rational...yard sale/flea market purchase this year (lots of multiples), but it is kinda cool in its own way I guess (even though my wife doesn't quite see it that way)...

Except for the big Dreadstar run, nearly all of these piles are actually stacks of multiples (minimum of 5-10 copies each per book -- but most stacks are much bigger than that). When I woke up this morning, I hadn't planned on buying every remaining unsold copy of Cap #115 and Nick Fury #18, but it happens, y'know? :)

yardsale1.jpg

More multiples, including 2 fairly nice copies of Spidey Super Stories #1 and Captain Marvel #18 & #30...and a sheit-load of Spidey Annual 8s and FF 175s & 177s...

yardsale2.jpg

Some cool trades, a Miracleman lot, and a stack of 1976 Jimmy Carter coloring books by Neal Adams...

yardsale3.jpg

And...as if I needed more oddball crepe in my house...an unopened distributor bundle of (you guessed it) Nick Fury #18.... :insane:

yardsale4.jpg

sweet score. Miracleman :cloud9:

Speaking of NES, do any of you video game guys know the best place to buy a new 72 pin connector?

I have one that needs to be replaced and I am reluctant to buy from just anyone without a recommendation from someone I know.

Hello DiceX. I do NOT carry these as I don't repair systems. eBay would be your best bet. These are not at all hard to find, but ironically for me, it is actually cheaper to part non-working systems out, then spend the time and possible expense to fix them.

Sorry I could not be of any more assistance in this regard.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

(thumbs u

+1 that is a great find. If you truly love comics, the value doesn't really enter into it. I would have snapped that up in a heartbeat. :applause:

(thumbs u

+1 that is a great find. If you truly love comics, the value doesn't really enter into it. I would have snapped that up in a heartbeat. :applause:

Great fun finding stacks of books that probably haven't been touched since they were distributed.

Hello DiceX. I do NOT carry these as I don't repair systems. eBay would be your best bet. These are not at all hard to find, but ironically for me, it is actually cheaper to part non-working systems out, then spend the time and possible expense to fix them.

Sorry I could not be of any more assistance in this regard.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

I repaired mine and it was incredibly easy and not expensive at all. If you deal with them a lot you might want to look into it. After replacing the connector it went from blinking red light to working like brand new. No more blowing on games