• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,895 posts in this topic

I have developed an interest due to some of the way cool things I have found. The history is fun to research and the learning is gratifying. Wish school could have taught these events of history. I may have paid more attention :D

Not comic related, but cool none the less, can anyone shed any light on these? they look like American army badges/insignia .

Picture915_zps0818be31.jpg

The one with the rifle is called a CIB, or Combat Infantry Badge. Thiis is in fact awarded to infantrymen and other frontline troops (like the Cavalry) that has seen combat. There is another simply called the Infantry Badge (looks the same, but without the wreaths on each side); this earned by completing a series of tests and excercises, both mental and physical.

The others are crossed sabres for the Cavalry, crossed sabres and a tank for the Armored Cav, and so on. These are polished up nicely and worn on your dress uniform.

Excellent finds!

:banana:

Everything's complete and only Winston has damage to his proton pack. I think you can tell by my avatar image that I'm pretty excited by this find.

DSCN0953_zpsab2c071d.jpg

Not sure how many hours of my childhood I spent playing with this. Several hundred I would imagine.

I believe the one on the top is called a rifleman badge witch means who ever wore them saw frontline combat.

the top one is a CIB (combat infantry Badge) given out for being in combat

Not comic related, but cool none the less, can anyone shed any light on these? they look like American army badges/insignia .

Picture915_zps0818be31.jpg

$20 lot IF the pin on top is marked sterling
blue one on top World War Two Theater Made USA Combat Infantryman's Badge commonly know as a CIB

Bought 2 totes of comics with about 600 books all together at the flea market a week ago and pulled these out, I paid $15 for all of it. Also had a subdivision yard sale last Sat and sold about $100 of older spider-mans and other stuff. Wished more would have sold, but oh well. Was surprised no one even looked at the Walking Dead books.

I've been reading on the forums for quite a few years, but first time posting. Hopefully I post the image right.

img0084lx.jpg

Edited by imortals

Bought 2 totes of comics with about 600 books all together at the flea market a week ago and pulled these out. Also had a subdivision yard sale last Sat and sold about $100 of older spider-mans and other stuff. Wished more would have sold, but oh well. Was surprised no one even looked at the Walking Dead books.

I've been reading on the forums for quite a few years, but first time posting. Hopefully I post the image right.

img0084lx.jpg

:applause:

Always nice to see a fellow militaria fan on the boards (thumbs u

Nice finds everyone!

I've always had a general interest in militaria, but there's a tonne of competition in my area for it. These guys are not only going from garage sale to garage sale, but they are practically going door-to-door looking for this stuff before it has a chance of hitting a yard/garage sale.

A few months back I decided to get into the hobby of metal detecting. It really is great exercise and for anyone who is an outdoor enthusiast, it can be extremely therapuetic and a good destresser. But as I've been learning the ropes, I also found that it's a great way to connect with local history.

A few weeks back, a lady walked over while I was metal detecting at a public area wanting to know a little more about what I was looking to find. When I told her I was interested in pretty much anything old (coins, relics, etc.) she explained that about 1.5km from where I was standing there was a First World War trench.

I was on my lunch break and only had enough time to walk over to find it. I passed it a few times but eventually found it. Unfortunately, it took all the time I had left to find it and I had to return to work, but that evening I did some research to confirm that a local regiment did actually do trench warfare training, and the trench actually had a mortared backstop to be used as a rifle target range. This was the confirmation I needed as the man made land features I identified in the woods were consistent with the research (i.e. length of the trench, general location, etc.)

I returned about a week later (it's a wooded area that could only be traveled by foot and so I was waiting on a few dry days as there was lots of mud on the trail). Found a bunch of old bullets, a few badges (rusted beyond recognition) and few other oddities.

I'll probably head back for the rest of the summer working the immediate and surrounding area of the trench, but I returned to the general area late last week and did managed to pull out an 1857 half dime:

1857_half_dime_zps47106d1c.jpg

Always nice to see a fellow militaria fan on the boards (thumbs u

Nice finds everyone!

I've always had a general interest in militaria, but there's a tonne of competition in my area for it. These guys are not only going from garage sale to garage sale, but they are practically going door-to-door looking for this stuff before it has a chance of hitting a yard/garage sale.

A few months back I decided to get into the hobby of metal detecting. It really is great exercise and for anyone who is an outdoor enthusiast, it can be extremely therapuetic and a good destresser. But as I've been learning the ropes, I also found that it's a great way to connect with local history.

A few weeks back, a lady walked over while I was metal detecting at a public area wanting to know a little more about what I was looking to find. When I told her I was interested in pretty much anything old (coins, relics, etc.) she explained that about 1.5km from where I was standing there was a First World War trench.

I was on my lunch break and only had enough time to walk over to find it. I passed it a few times but eventually found it. Unfortunately, it took all the time I had left to find it and I had to return to work, but that evening I did some research to confirm that a local regiment did actually do trench warfare training, and the trench actually had a mortared backstop to be used as a rifle target range. This was the confirmation I needed as the man made land features I identified in the woods were consistent with the research (i.e. length of the trench, general location, etc.)

I returned about a week later (it's a wooded area that could only be traveled by foot and so I was waiting on a few dry days as there was lots of mud on the trail). Found a bunch of old bullets, a few badges (rusted beyond recognition) and few other oddities.

I'll probably head back for the rest of the summer working the immediate and surrounding area of the trench, but I returned to the general area late last week and did managed to pull out an 1857 half dime:

1857_half_dime_zps47106d1c.jpg

Would you recommend one metal detector brand over another? I've always wanted to buy one myself but never got around to doing it.

That's cool :applause: The house that I'm having built is less than a few miles from some of the major battlefields in northern Georgia. I wouldn't mind taking a metal detector to the area to see if anything turns up.

It really comes down to budget, what you're seeking and where. I've only been out on the field for about 3 months (spent a few months ramping-up with research) and already am up to three machines.

The companies which have great reputations in the MD market are Fisher, Minelab, Whites and Garrett. Each one is known to specialize in a certain feature or area of detecting/prospecting.

Synopsis:

After comparing notes, I went with the Garrett ATPro because it's a land/water machine (up to 10 feet) in both freshwater and salt water (which is another thing you have to research carefully with water machines).

The ATPro is also is a gold/silver detector and I have a general interest in prospecting.

For a good entry machine, I would recommend the Fisher F2.

More info:

On relic hunts, you will need to dig everything, so I wouldn't recommend an intermediate or higher-end machine because what you are paying for is their ability to discriminate between metal signatures.

Where the new tech is really most stable at the moment is pinpointing, and discriminating. The rest of the stuff is really just pie in the sky, unless you are buying higher end machines whose sole purpose is to detect things like gold. But then as soon as a machine is designed for a sole purpose, it tends to be less practical in other applications.

Here's a tip that can save you a considerable amount of money.

The main issue is that older targets sometimes uses similar metal signatures and regardless of the marketing, there is no machine out there that won't ID targets incorrectly.

What machines like the ATPro seem to be do well is by providing audio tones which help ID a target with similarities to other targets. For instance, old bottlecaps will ring at the same ferrous metal signature as coins and other relics, but on the ATPro, it actually gives you a low/high ring tone when it's a bottlecap. There are other methods with the output that help you discriminate better between foil, tabs, and other junk.

So on the half dime find, I knew it was a silver coin because of the range it gave me and the audio tone. I had no idea what type of silver it was, and there was a chance it could have been foil too because they sometimes bear a very similar metal signature, except they tend to give a less precise/stable numeric reading.

Near or around an old battlefield, this type of discrimination is really pointless because you could run into a number of excellent targets which you wouldn't want to discriminate or notch out.

For relic hunting, I would go with a Fisher F2 because it uses a concentric coil, has industry average depth capabilities (on larger targets, I've dug stuff out that was over 10 inches) and has excellent pinpointing, which is important when the targets are small.

If you're looking for one machine that does land, water and gold/silver detecting, the ATPro is a great machine. The Minelabs are equally capable and some of their higher-end machines do some pretty impressive stuff, but its very easy to get wrapped-up in marketing and possibly over-spending and overlooking practical uses.

If anyone decides to take up the hobby, PM me with any cool finds. (thumbs u

Check out warrelics.eu/forum, these guys are hardcore battlefield archeologists. You would be shocked at what is still laying around, 60, 70, 80 years later. These are mostly European/Eastern European archeologists who search places like Stalingrad, Kursk, the Courland Pocket for relics from the Second World War. More often than not they find lots of unexploded ordinance, rusted weapons laying on the ground and the remains of soldiers.

I'm not pimping their site, it's just something I find interesting.

Check out warrelics.eu/forum, these guys are hardcore battlefield archeologists. You would be shocked at what is still laying around, 60, 70, 80 years later. These are mostly European/Eastern European archeologists who search places like Stalingrad, Kursk, the Courland Pocket for relics from the Second World War. More often than not they find lots of unexploded ordinance, rusted weapons laying on the ground and the remains of soldiers.

I'm not pimping their site, it's just something I find interesting.

Huge difference between archaeologists and relic hunters.