• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Walking Dead Movie

99 posts in this topic

I mean, Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes everybody liked. They left that to the Bee Gees.

Wait, I was getting the impression that everyone (except me) likes TWD! Uh-oh. That can only mean one thing:

I've stumbled into Bee Gee country. :fear:

Jive talkin.

Y the last man, hmm.

No so sure if that is worth sinking into for the long read. The ending left a lot to be desired.

Preacher and Sandman are certainly worth it. I agree with the Hellblazer too, some of those arcs are fantastic.

Yet again I find myself agreeing with you. I knew I shouldn't have skipped my rabies/distemper shot last year.

Y the last man, hmm.

No so sure if that is worth sinking into for the long read. The ending left a lot to be desired.

Preacher and Sandman are certainly worth it. I agree with the Hellblazer too, some of those arcs are fantastic.

Yet again I find myself agreeing with you. I knew I shouldn't have skipped my rabies/distemper shot last year.

Just because I can run businesses in the ground, doesn't mean I don't know comics.

I just finished volume 5 of WD and I am not even a little impressed. Of course, I've been hearing for years how great it is so maybe my expectations were too high. I don't find it either smart or sophisticated. I frequently find it predicable and boring and, at times, almost embarassing.

Having said that, 5 was the best volume so far, so maybe it will get better. I do have 6-10 yet to go.

Do you have any recommendations for series that are smart and sophisticated?

Fables (thumbs u

Strangers In Paradise (thumbs u

Love & Rockets ehhh

Dan Slott's "She-Hulk" ummm, this is where we disagree again...

Alan Moore's "Swamp Thing" (thumbs u

Grant Morrison's "Animal Man" the pre- morrison on heroin issues (thumbs u

don't forget the invisibles, DMZ, Ex-Machina, Demo...on and on...

and the Walking De....oh yeah, nevermind...

:roflmao:

at least i am amusing myself.

j

Last year I bought TPB 1-9! I only read books 1-8. I love it in this format and I'm afraid to start reading it as single issues. I was stunned at the end of book 8. But, just a few days ago I read book 9 and now I can't wait to see were it is going next. I will surely watch this when it comes out.

Bee Gees sucked. :baiting:

Just because I can run businesses in the ground, doesn't mean I don't know comics.
:roflmao: (thumbs u

I didn't realise TWD wasn't universally admired and adored. Learn something new every day.

Maybe he wrote the book for non-Zombie lovers. I had no interest in the genre, have read and loved all ten volumes.

Y the last man, hmm.

Yeh, I think it became pretty obvious that you DON'T know comics with your first post in this thread... :screwy:

Time for me to throw my opinions out there too.

How I read it:

Personally, I love The Walking Dead. Big fan. I became a fan when issue 19 was on the stands. So I read the 1st 3 trades then picked up the newest issue (#19) and have been reading them as floppys since.

For those of you picking up the trades:

I know it flows when you read the trades, but I think it's better as single issues because you get the cliffhangers at each issue. Idk? I still reread them as an arc once an arc is completed too, but that extra time reading them may be what gets long time readers like me more excited about the book.

Is the book to FAST a read?

The Walking Dead does have action sequences in them and sometimes a book should read fast when trying to get that emotion that the events are happining fast. (Particularly the issues from the "No one is safe arc," issues 42-48) I found these to be the "fastest" reads but still enjoyed them.

As for being able to read a comic fast, in general MOST if not all moderns are like that. Silver Age books were long, but nowadays moderns seem to be told in 6 issue arcs. That is annoying, since it usually means you have to shell out $18 bucks to read one story. But I don't feel TWD is always 6 issue arcs. Yes, the "No one is safe" books were like that and the current "Fear the hunters" is an arc. But its not always like that.

How do I feel about the AMC deal?

I have mixed feelings. Sometimes comic books are successfully adapted, but they are often butchered as well. Alan Moore learned this lesson long ago.

Yes, I'll check it out, but I'm not betting on it being a success. I worry that a series will be exactly like the comic and then I'll know what's going to happen. zzz Plus, some studios can make up to 23 episodes per season. What happens when they catch up to the comics? Or, they will change it and not go with the comics as the -script. Then we just have a Zombie series with the name Walking Dead that is really something different, which is a high risk of being bad. (like the G.I. Joe movie for example :baiting: )

Y the last man, hmm.

Yeh, I think it became pretty obvious that you DON'T know comics with your first post in this thread... :screwy:

The post was meant to suggest that I thought the series was SLOW!!!

But I guess in your mind it's an action packed, non stop thrilling ride of craziness and explosions.

Maybe I missed all of that.

I still love the series, but you can read an issue within a few minutes now. I wish a little more were put into it because it's a wonderful title, but it feels like it doesn't completely have Kirkman's heart in it anymore. The last issue I bought was #60 because I'm waiting on 6 issues or so to pile up on me so I can be entertained for 15 minutes.

I really look forward to the AMC series. It has serious potential. I just hope it delivers.

That's been a continuing criticism of the book...and I agree as well. Killing off characters "just because" and weaker character development are other concerns I have. I have no worries over random "killing" of characters but that cannot be a continuing trend that will keep me hooked. I have to CARE about the characters for it to make an impact.

I had a feeling he was selling his wares...not happy about choice for AMC...but stoked in that it is a continuing series. Should be interesting.

I have to agree that while WD is entertaining after reading each issue I wonder if I got my money's worth considering I always feel like it was only 5 pages of comic.

About the other topic - DMZ, Transmetropolitan, 100 Bullets, and Planetary are all light years better in my opinion. (Id include Fell also but that book is a lost cause)

I think the WD is one of the best series I've read but to each their own. Just a little surprising to hear anything negative but I am a simple man and have no need for sophistication in my entertainment.

Long Live ..... The Walking Dead

I don't think this could have been put better. I'm really suprised by the negativety as well. I can't help but always think, "why are you wasting time and money reading it, if you really feel that way?" Kind of like the people who religiously watch tv shows they hate and gripe about them constantly.

I think the WD is one of the best series I've read but to each their own. Just a little surprising to hear anything negative but I am a simple man and have no need for sophistication in my entertainment.

Long Live ..... The Walking Dead

I don't think this could have been put better. I'm really suprised by the negativety as well. I can't help but always think, "why are you wasting time and money reading it, if you really feel that way?" Kind of like the people who religiously watch tv shows they hate and gripe about them constantly.

I stopped reading it long, long ago. (shrug)