• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Slabbed Runs

22 posts in this topic

Many of us on here are looking to complete a full raw run of whatever we collect, but how many of us are after or thinking about a complete slabbed run? Most of the major titles out there are too costly to ever completely slab, but is anyone on here actually pursuing it? Most of the registry sets have been butchered into so many smaller sub-sets that any full run attempt is discouraging and will go unrecognized. So? Anyone here brave enough or rich enough? cool.gif

Despite the fact that I want to sell off alot of my comics I will probably continue my goal of obtaining a complete high grade slabbed run of TOS 39-99. Not that big a deal though because it's only 60 issues.

Eric

Not me, and that's the primary trait of the registry I don't really like. I only make it a point to buy slabs on books where the monetary loss due to restoration or overgrading is a significant risk.

Many of us on here are looking to complete a full raw run of whatever we collect, but how many of us are after or thinking about a complete slabbed run? Most of the major titles out there are too costly to ever completely slab, but is anyone on here actually pursuing it? Most of the registry sets have been butchered into so many smaller sub-sets that any full run attempt is discouraging and will go unrecognized. So? Anyone here brave enough or rich enough? cool.gif

I have 9 out of the 10 Kid Komics in 8.0 to 9.4!

Timely

I'm thinking about pursuing a full run of My favorite SA title-Iron Man and Submariner,someday,maybe.

By sheer coincidence I am only one issue away from completing my Frankenstien Jr run,so I'll need something to quest for.

Seriously though- Have you thought about how much room a slabbed set of FF 1-300 take up?

I'd like to line my den with CGC comics but haven't gotten around to it. Someday,maybe.

I often wonder about some of the slabbed runs in the registry. (I try not to visit too much because it makes me feel subpar with my silver age runs of VG+ - VF+ blush.gif)... but I digress...)

How do these guys do it? I'm presuming they've collected HG for a long time and bought most of their books before HG was 20x guide. Otherwise, it would be very easy to see how a HG run could cost well into the hundreds of thousands of dollars. I suppose there are a few rich folks, but I presume most folks here can't afford runs of CGC 9.6 FF or Spideys....

Pity the poor young people getting into the hobby now. Some of the only keys they may be able to touch in nice shape are Bronze Age...

confused-smiley-013.gif

Pity the poor young people getting into the hobby now. Some of the only keys they may be able to touch in nice shape are Bronze Age...

But 20-30 years ago, long time collectors would have lamented that youngsters would have to settle for high grade 'modern' keys like Flash 105 rather than Flash 1.

How do these guys do it? I'm presuming they've collected HG for a long time and bought most of their books before HG was 20x guide. Otherwise, it would be very easy to see how a HG run could cost well into the hundreds of thousands of dollars.

I hear that all of the guys with the insane 9.4 to 9.8 runs have been collecting since well before CGC, but it also helps to have a very incomes like they do. I wonder whether the Pacific Coast and Curator books would still be affordable at today's prices to their current owners... 893scratchchin-thumb.gifshocked.gif Same goes for many of the owners of the Mile High and San Francisco collections...hard to imagine "the dentist" could see his way clear to paying 1.5 to 2 million bucks for a single Action 1, not to mention all the other primo stuff he owns.

Right time, right place! Guess all us non-millionaires will all have to wait for the Great Crash to get our share of the pie!!! 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Most of my CGC books are Daredevil books (Marvel). I know that maybe i'll never complete my run but i just like to own some high grade certified copies of my favorite title. I'm proud of my 9.6 copies of issues 43, 45 & 53. Most of the others books are 9.4/9.2.

Well I like a lot of others on here am actively pursuing an entire run. It's going to take a while, but as long as I stick to it, it is possible. I am #15 on the ASM Registry, but a lot of those books I picked up in just 1 month including #200, #238, #50, #101, #102, #39, #28, #31 etc...etc...etc. I have a lot of raw copies as well so I could probably have half the set completed this year. Some will be tough, but I don't have a target of 9.4 or above on the older books I am just looking for copies CGC'd and as my collection nears completion I will look to upgrade books. I think in the next 3 years I should be able to complete it, but you never know. The good news is that ASM is my favorite title and my goal is not about having the best of the best, but rather a complete set in what ever condition.

I am looking to purchase an ASM #1 this month or next, but it will be in the 4.0 - 6.0 range, but that's just fine with me cloud9.gif

I am seriously working putting an entire X-men CGC collection together. I only collect 9.4 or above some it will take some time for issues 1-9. Currently I have over 175 CGC's and 50+ of them are prior to issue 100. I have a lot of 9.4's or better that are not slabbed for issues less then 100, I just have to get them together and send them to CGC. They take up a lot of room and it is getting very expensive. After I am done with that then I will move on to my ASM collection, it is complete but only half the issues less then 100 are in high grade. I should be done in about..50 years.

As some people are well aware, I'm working on a run of Fantastic Four 1-90 (or thereabouts) in high grade, whereupon I'll decide whether to continue 91-end of Volume 1. I'm also collecting the first 6 annuals. Most of these will be in 8.5 to 9.6, but I'd be thrilled with a #1 in 6.5, etc. My best run right now is 11-16, but tough issues like #17, #18, etc., remain.

Of the 96 books I'm searching for, I have about 40 in hand (all CGC'ed). Of the 40, only six were bought raw and then graded afterwards. So I have a lot of cash into the set, but it's disposable income, as they say, so it's all right by me. Most of the fun is just trying to find 8.5 or higher copies - raw or graded - of the early stuff. I love the hunt!

Dan

WOW - some of these runs are pretty ambitious. and that picture of FF's in the 6 boxes is wildly impressive!!!!

when i start to sell later this year i will definitely get in touch with some of you guys to see if i've got what you want. My run of silver age marvels is very well stocked and my original purchases are mostly 8.0's and above.

drummy: based on your stated desire to collect slabbed FF 8.5's and up, i know we'll be talking somewhere down the road.

good luck to you all............... 893applaud-thumb.gif

A big part of what's holding me back from completing my 1-200 JLA CGC set is price of slabbing. I have plenty of candidates from the early 70's that are slab-worthy, but the $24-$30 tag makes it financially stupid to do so.

Hey CGC, move the time line from '75 to '70, or adjust cost to value of the books, and I'll send at least another 100 books your way. wink.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Rick

PS: Currently at 80 slabbed (not counting Annuals, Indices, etc) with all but six at 9.0 or higher...22 at 9.6-9.8 laugh.gif

Ok. I'll fess up. I'm working on JLA 1-50, Mystery In Space 75 and Brave and Bold 28-30 in 9.4 and up. The B&B part may be a pipe dream but I can get by with my 8.0 copy of #29 as a start. I have 40 out of 50 JLA in 9.0 or up. With 29 of those being at my goal of 9.4 or better. Time, and bank account, will tell if I can fulfill the dream 893crossfingers-thumb.gif