• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How To Pack Your Books For Shipping - by Boozad
12 12

587 posts in this topic

I had an issue with USPS last week. Apparently you can't use any tape on a flat rate priority envelope or they won't give you the flat rate. I had to pay several dollars more for regular priority. :mad:

News to me, I always tape the flap. It must be one those rules they rarely enforce.

I believe I was nailed once for an additional fee because my flat rate envelope, with

some stiff cardboard inside, was rigid.

I know you can't make it bigger by not folding the flap where intended or making it otherwise larger. Never heard that tape or rigidity was a problem before.

I had an issue with USPS last week. Apparently you can't use any tape on a flat rate priority envelope or they won't give you the flat rate. I had to pay several dollars more for regular priority. :mad:

News to me, I always tape the flap. It must be one those rules they rarely enforce.

I believe I was nailed once for an additional fee because my flat rate envelope, with

some stiff cardboard inside, was rigid.

It's called "clerk's law" - anyone in the legal business is familiar with it it. ;)

If they are well bagged and boarded (meaning that there are not varying sizes and the bags are not bigger than the boards/comics) then you can pile them up to 20 or 25 in one pile. At that point I wrap them in newsprint. I wrap the bundle in big bubble bubble wrap on all sides so that immobile. Place them in a larger box where you can have a bed of peanuts or a bed of bubble wrap. Place the bundles side by side at the bottom, fill with peanuts, add additional bundle(s) fill with peanuts and you should be ready to ship.

I've done this with raw and slabbed books with great success. Slabbed books, though, I don't put as many in a pile (maybe 5 or 6) and I only wrap them with bubble wrap and not newsprint.

How would you ship about 75 comics in one shipment?

I do it all the time. Check my feedback.

Could you give me a detailed breakdown of the specifics?

Yes, send me a P.M. and I'll explain it.

If they are well bagged and boarded (meaning that there are not varying sizes and the bags are not bigger than the boards/comics) then you can pile them up to 20 or 25 in one pile. At that point I wrap them in newsprint. I wrap the bundle in big bubble bubble wrap on all sides so that immobile. Place them in a larger box where you can have a bed of peanuts or a bed of bubble wrap. Place the bundles side by side at the bottom, fill with peanuts, add additional bundle(s) fill with peanuts and you should be ready to ship.

I've done this with raw and slabbed books with great success. Slabbed books, though, I don't put as many in a pile (maybe 5 or 6) and I only wrap them with bubble wrap and not newsprint.

Thanks that makes sense to me!

It would be worth checking with your local p.o., as it sounds like an isolated incident.

Ditto - news to me regarding the tape.

Thanks for the heads up

I tape mine as well, so news to me.

I also prepay and print my labels so I can drop them off and run :devil:

and online saves just a little bit more $$$$

Doesnt that require you to know pretty much the exact weight beforehand?

It requires you to enter a weight into the application in order to print out the label. I have often wondered how that weight is checked if you just drop the package into a receptacle.

It would be worth checking with your local p.o., as it sounds like an isolated incident.

Ditto - news to me regarding the tape.

Thanks for the heads up

My PO allows the flap to be taped as long as it isn't used for the actual restraining, i.e. over-stuffing the envelope. However, they do NOT allow tape on the sides.

My way around either of these problems for PM envelopes is to position the label so the long side is against the flap and I print the label larger than standard so both ends can be taped as well, using the ends of the paper as the reason.

NOTE - I do not over-stuff any envelope, but prefer the extra security of tape on all seams.

:grin:

-slym

btw - if you want to ship from home you'll need a scale

I recommend this one highly. Terrific investment, pays for itself in shipping costs (much less convenience!) within a few shipments.

Tree SPS SG-34

You can get it on amazon for $23.99. Weighs up to 75 lbs accurately. I've checked against the post office scale in the lobby and at the counter - right on the money.

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Postal-Shipping-Postage-Scales/dp/B002TWEXXM/ref=pd_sbs_op_1/189-2466617-1314767

btw - if you want to ship from home you'll need a scale

I recommend this one highly. Terrific investment, pays for itself in shipping costs (much less convenience!) within a few shipments.

Tree SPS SG-34

You can get it on amazon for $23.99. Weighs up to 75 lbs accurately. I've checked against the post office scale in the lobby and at the counter - right on the money.

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Postal-Shipping-Postage-Scales/dp/B002TWEXXM/ref=pd_sbs_op_1/189-2466617-1314767

That's the one I have - quickly pays for itself in frustration reduction, and online shipping discounts, which you can pass on to your happy customers. Just frickin' awesome. :applause:

It blows my mind that a boardie actually sent me a $150 book packed like this - the book wasn't even taped to the bubblewrap, it was just sitting there :tonofbricks:

awful-slab-packaging.jpg

Looks like box was damaged some too.