• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage

51 posts in this topic

"I thought the Steranko page went cheap, although it shows you that even though he did better work overall for Strange Tales / Nick Fury, his X-Men and Cap art is more popular and commands higher prices. This page is twice up as well, making the price all the more surprising. I'll tell you that I sold one of my Steranko X-Men pages for well over 10K almost 4 years ago now, just to give you an idea. I don't think you can get a solid Steranko X-Men page with the X-Men on it for under 15K at this point, if you can even find one. Of the 30 pages he did for X-Men, I think less than 20 of them have the X-Men actually on it."

Hari,

I happen to agree with you. I too think it went cheap.

This page I believe was offered on Roger Clark's site within the past 2 years for @12,500.

Where it traded, I don't know. While it went cheap and is twice-up, I have seen better lay-outs and more memorable scenes I would rather own, if I were to buy an interior scene to represent this series. While more displayable, twice-up does not always mean the best example. Still, this is a fine page and any of us would be proud to include it within our collection.

"I thought the Steranko page went cheap, although it shows you that even though he did better work overall for Strange Tales / Nick Fury, his X-Men and Cap art is more popular and commands higher prices. This page is twice up as well, making the price all the more surprising. I'll tell you that I :applause:sold one of my Steranko X-Men pages for well over 10K almost 4 years ago now, just to give you an idea. I don't think you can get a solid Steranko X-Men page with the X-Men on it for under 15K at this point, if you can even find one. Of the 30 pages he did for X-Men, I think less than 20 of them have the X-Men actually on it."

Hari,

This page I believe was offered on Roger Clark's site within the past 2 years for @12,500.

Where it traded, I don't know. While it went cheap and is twice-up, I have seen better lay-outs and more memorable scenes I would rather own, if I were to buy an interior scene to represent this series. While more displayable, twice-up does not always mean the best example. Still, this is a fine page and any of us would be proud to include it within our collection.

Hello all,

I'm the proud winner :shy: of the Steranko page and certainly appreciate the helpful insight and comments. This piece happened to fit my collecting goals and (surprise!) my budget. I just love how those high tech costumes and detailed background blend together to create that signature Steranko artform.

While I often drool at the incredible pieces owned by fellow boardies, I feel lucky when occasionally a quality piece falls into my lap (ie, thanks for the Adams Avengers page Scott!). Bid on the Wrightson Swamp Thing page too but didn't make it past the sixth inning. lol

Anyway, it's been two years since jumping from GA into OA (grateful to Hari and others for kindly sharing some of their wisdom) ....and still enjoying the ride! Congrats to all on their wins.

Dino

Hi Scott,

I too thought the ST page was high, I was very surprised, though as Hari pointed out it truly is beautiful and 'worth' the price given the price of covers and splashes these days.

I also thought that 31K was strong for the Wrightson color cover given the text was distracting, to me at least.

The early Flash was fairly priced at 50K and several interested buyers were outbid on the later one that closed strong for around 21K...

I only went after one piece which I happily got...The Jeffrey Jones Idyl page...I think it is stupendous, and reminds me so much of George Herriman's Krazy Kat.

If I knew how to post an image here, I would have!

Hi Scott,

I too thought the ST page was high, I was very surprised, though as Hari pointed out it truly is beautiful and 'worth' the price given the price of covers and splashes these days.

I also thought that 31K was strong for the Wrightson color cover given the text was distracting, to me at least.

The early Flash was fairly priced at 50K and several interested buyers were outbid on the later one that closed strong for around 21K...

I only went after one piece which I happily got...The Jeffrey Jones Idyl page...I think it is stupendous, and reminds me so much of George Herriman's Krazy Kat.

Hey Rob

Congrats on the Idyl! I thought of you and wondered if you happened to be last man standing on that one. You know me, I LOVE that Jones pen and ink art, and someday I'll find the perfect piece to add to my collection.

Scott Williams

"I thought the Steranko page went cheap, although it shows you that even though he did better work overall for Strange Tales / Nick Fury, his X-Men and Cap art is more popular and commands higher prices. This page is twice up as well, making the price all the more surprising. I'll tell you that I :applause:sold one of my Steranko X-Men pages for well over 10K almost 4 years ago now, just to give you an idea. I don't think you can get a solid Steranko X-Men page with the X-Men on it for under 15K at this point, if you can even find one. Of the 30 pages he did for X-Men, I think less than 20 of them have the X-Men actually on it."

Hari,

Hello all,

I'm the proud winner :shy: of the Steranko page and certainly appreciate the helpful insight and comments. This piece happened to fit my collecting goals and (surprise!) my budget. I just love how those high tech costumes and detailed background blend together to create that signature Steranko artform.

While I often drool at the incredible pieces owned by fellow boardies, I feel lucky when occasionally a quality piece falls into my lap (ie, thanks for the Adams Avengers page Scott!). Bid on the Wrightson Swamp Thing page too but didn't make it past the sixth inning. lol

Anyway, it's been two years since jumping from GA into OA (grateful to Hari and others for kindly sharing some of their wisdom) ....and still enjoying the ride! Congrats to all on their wins.

Dino

Congrats Dino! That's quite a collection you've been able to build after only 2 years. I've been doing this for almost 30 years and I still don't have a Steranko.

Good to have met you at San Diego, and I was glad to have been able to help add to your Adams collection!

Scott Williams

Thanks Scott! Enjoyed talking art with you in SDCC as well...

While I've collected GA comics for 20+ years, I managed to buy a few pages a year since 2001 but those focused on characters not necessarily artists. Now geared for OA, I have learned to better appreciate the artists' unique styles and can pursue examples from more celebrated artists.

Unfortuately, I have to sell many GA books and minor pages to afford one better pieces...but my OA collection and wantlist have more consistency and focus than ever. Having a blast too!

Dino

I have to say that it is really refreshing to read a thread in the OA forum once again about the joys of new wins and collecting OA rather than talk of crazy money or petty arguments.

Thanks you guys for one of the most enjoyable OA threads that I've read all year!

Hi Scott,

This was the first Heritage Auction that I didn't really follow closely, as for me there wasn't much that I had to have. I did just take a look at the final numbers and am overall impressed (still) by the strength of the market.

The Byrne X-Men page is a very strong price, especially since pages from this issue (albeit an important issue) certainly come up for sale.

I thought the Steranko page went cheap, although it shows you that even though he did better work overall for Strange Tales / Nick Fury, his X-Men and Cap art is more popular and commands higher prices. This page is twice up as well, making the price all the more surprising. I'll tell you that I sold one of my Steranko X-Men pages for well over 10K almost 4 years ago now, just to give you an idea. I don't think you can get a solid Steranko X-Men page with the X-Men on it for under 15K at this point, if you can even find one. Of the 30 pages he did for X-Men, I think less than 20 of them have the X-Men actually on it.

I thought the Peanuts strips continue to do exceedingly well, although I don't know this market at all. Others more seasoned on this genre should comment.

Finally, the Wrightson Swamp Thing was strong, but I'm not surprised. Can you get a splash or less than 30-40K these days? Nope, hence the price of this really wonderful half-splash. Congrats to the new owner. Anyone who has seen Wrightson's Swamp Thing splashes (and half-splashes) up close (as I know you have, Scott!) knows how truly rare and beautiful they are. They are worth every penny!

Best,

Hari

So what would one of the Steranko X-Men or Cap covers sell for these days?

Uh oh...we're going into "crazy money" territory now and this thread will be ruined for David! meh:baiting:lol

Anyhow...to answer your question...depends on who owns it. If Stephen Fishler owns it, $400-500K. meh:baiting:lol

Hey, it's a slow Sunday morning... :insane:

Congrats to all the winners, some damn nice stuff. The Davis cover being my favorite, with the Steranko and Wrightson ST being up there as well. I didn't bid on anything, but checked out the results yesterday to see how values are doing. Some surprises both ways...but no conclusions to be drawn, imho. Sorry Gene (no apologies to KK):P

I don't believe that a Steranko X-Men or Cap cover has sold publically any time recently, so it's hard to guess at a price. The beautiful X-Men #51 "The Devil Had a Daughter" splash sold in 2005 for $17. I think any of the three X-Men covers would sell for multiples of that.

Hi Scott,

This was the first Heritage Auction that I didn't really follow closely, as for me there wasn't much that I had to have. I did just take a look at the final numbers and am overall impressed (still) by the strength of the market.

The Byrne X-Men page is a very strong price, especially since pages from this issue (albeit an important issue) certainly come up for sale.

I thought the Steranko page went cheap, although it shows you that even though he did better work overall for Strange Tales / Nick Fury, his X-Men and Cap art is more popular and commands higher prices. This page is twice up as well, making the price all the more surprising. I'll tell you that I sold one of my Steranko X-Men pages for well over 10K almost 4 years ago now, just to give you an idea. I don't think you can get a solid Steranko X-Men page with the X-Men on it for under 15K at this point, if you can even find one. Of the 30 pages he did for X-Men, I think less than 20 of them have the X-Men actually on it.

I thought the Peanuts strips continue to do exceedingly well, although I don't know this market at all. Others more seasoned on this genre should comment.

Finally, the Wrightson Swamp Thing was strong, but I'm not surprised. Can you get a splash or less than 30-40K these days? Nope, hence the price of this really wonderful half-splash. Congrats to the new owner. Anyone who has seen Wrightson's Swamp Thing splashes (and half-splashes) up close (as I know you have, Scott!) knows how truly rare and beautiful they are. They are worth every penny!

Best,

Hari

I'd guess 75-100K, but this is all conjecture really. Albert bought that Nick Fury cover for around 75K last SDCC, if I remember correctly.

Hi Scott,

Ask and you shall receive..... :hi:

jeff.jpg

I've never seen so many Schulz Peanuts pieces together in one auction. I thought for sure that since there were so many, prices would have been somewhat lower, but they all seemed to do well. I wasn't surprised at the final hammer on the Swamp Thing page - it was very nice. I'd never seen the Wrightson color piece, and wasn't sure what it would fetch... although Heritage had estimated 25k when it was at Comic Con. The Ditko Doc Strange page failed to meet reserve, but the price did seem kind of high to me so I wasn't surprised. I really love the Jack Davis Tales from the Crypt cover, and I'm ecstatic that I was the winning bidder.

Bill

edited: 'cause Schultz is a character in a sitcom, not an artist.

Hope you don't mind I took the liberty of posting your incredible EC cover !.....Congrats Bill ! :applause:

ECcover.jpg