• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the most you've spent on one piece of art (cash!)?

Highest You've Paid for One Piece of OA (cash, no trade):  

555 members have voted

1. 1. Highest You've Paid for One Piece of OA (cash, no trade):

188 posts in this topic

So, just wondering what the most amount of money each of us has spent on a piece of original comic art? I only want all-cash (including of course checks, checking transfers, credit cards, etc.), no part-trade, deals. Time payments are OK, as I think it's still cash overall.

You might want to delineate a little further on this poll. There is a huge discrepancy between 10K and 20K. There was a time in the not to distant past when 10K was "A" page territory -- then it moved to 15K -- and then 20K -- and now I have no idea where it is.

I think you should delineate in 5K increments. A 20K - 40K range is huge and is too broad to really tell us much of anything.

I'd say above 40K would be such a small number of people that it would be more valuable to see a graphical representation of data points at smaller increments below that number so that we can establish a more reliable bell curve.

Results should be interesting regardless.

Great idea for a poll, but I agree with David in that the middle ranges might be too broad. There is a world of difference between spending $20001 and $40K for a page.

The results are going to be interesting if everyone participates. I would be surprised if there are more than a few who have paid over $60000 all cash for single item.

What brought this on, Hari? Contemplating a big purchase? hm:popcorn:

In addition to the good points everyone else has made, I'll also say it's a world of difference between a newbie spending $X versus a veteran who's able to spend $X by selling something from his collection that was acquired years ago for much less. It's all still cash, of course, but in the second scenario, it's virtually a "trade".

You may also encourage members of Comicart-L to participate since there seems to be so few of us here.

What brought this on, Hari? Contemplating a big purchase? hm:popcorn:

In addition to the good points everyone else has made, I'll also say it's a world of difference between a newbie spending $X versus a veteran who's able to spend $X by selling something from his collection that was acquired years ago for much less. It's all still cash, of course, but in the second scenario, it's virtually a "trade".

good point felix. that's pretty much just a reallocation of dollars and not new money. although I suspect almost every does that to some extent or another

I voted and don't mind mentioning that the most I've ever spent on a single purchase of original comic art (over a 23 year period) is US$550.00. I did recently bid above that figure for an ebay purchase but was outbid.

My disposable income isn't of the same order as some in the hobby but I'm happy with what I can afford :) Best,

Royd

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=111

Guys,

Thanks for the comments. Let's let this ride and then we can narrow it down next week. I want to see where the bell curve is. If it's at the lower numbers, then that is important to prove and we can go from there.

Regarding reusing money by selling art, I'm not sure I agree with that point, as you have cash in hand and need to make a decision regardless. If you choose to spend that cash on more art, that's saying something. Cash is cash, doesn't matter if it comes from a salary, Vegas winnings or recently-sold OA. We may compartmentalize it differently in our heads, but that's artificial.

What brought this on? We have never done this data, believe it or not! Lots of people mention their opinions on this topic but I think an anonymous poll is the only way to go and may confirm or refute popular opinion.

Best,

Hari

We could also disseminate the data even further to include "at one time" and "spread out over time payments of greater than 45 (or 60) days." This is an important distinction because while I often pay all at once, I have more than often been paid on time payments spread out over a maximum of six months. Ironically, the most I ever spent was spread out over about a year, which was the sellers choice, not mine.

We could also disseminate the data even further to include "at one time" and "spread out over time payments of greater than 45 (or 60) days." This is an important distinction because while I often pay all at once, I have more than often been paid on time payments spread out over a maximum of six months. Ironically, the most I ever spent was spread out over about a year, which was the sellers choice, not mine.

:whistle: David's Autobiography...In Fine Bookstores Everywhere. :applause:

high_rollers_burlesque_co_smoking_poster-p228053201809578596qzz0_400.jpg

I think the ranges are perfect. For someone who spends $1,000 on an item, a leap to $1,500 is similar to a leap from $30,000 to $35,000. $500 or $5,000 is relative to your means (for some, but not all).

Btw - $1,000-$2,000 :thumbsup:

I never thought about it until now, but I've spent more on a single comic than a piece of art.

By the way: MAN does cyber-money (Paypal, Credit cards, Billpay) make it easy to get carried away. I think that's the reason I frequently leave San Diego without anything big. When you're there in person and handing some guy C-notes, it's easy to get freaked out