• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cash or Credit

51 posts in this topic

Excuse me while I publicly let go my frustration...

Today, my Grail was up for auction. It didn't meet reserve and I was the underbidder. I could have pushed it higher, but then I would have had to take on debt. I've never bought a comic that wasn't paid in full when the next credit card statement came.

I have a comic book fund that is separate from all other savings/investments/retirement/emergency accounts. I could have also easily gone there for the funds.

Was it a mistake to let Flash Comics #1 go? Is it common to buy with credit?

One of my rules of thumb is to never use a credit card for stuff I can't afford.

I HATE interest payments. It is like paying for air.

I guess my question is more about instant gratification. I carry no debt, but thought a few months would make sense. Better than time payments because I get instant gratification. Alas, the comic is not mine...yet.
If you are financially secure and really want the book then i say, go for it! :)

One of my rules of thumb is to never use a credit card for stuff I can't afford.

I HATE interest payments. It is like paying for air.

:sumo:

Stinky air?

Excuse me while I publicly let go my frustration...

Today, my Grail was up for auction. It didn't meet reserve and I was the underbidder. I could have pushed it higher, but then I would have had to take on debt. I've never bought a comic that wasn't paid in full when the next credit card statement came.

I have a comic book fund that is separate from all other savings/investments/retirement/emergency accounts. I could have also easily gone there for the funds.

Was it a mistake to let Flash Comics #1 go? Is it common to buy with credit?

I'm with you, I've never bought a comic that wasn't paid for in full when the next statement came, I just sleep better at night....and although I could go to my savings account, I won't.

I think someone won a bargain Sensation 1 in the last big Heritage Auction because I would not go outside my alloted comic book funds.

I know other people pay off their books, I just accumulate the money in advance. This is a hobby for me, I don't want it to become a burden.

There will be another Flash Comics 1...and another Sensation 1...it just makes sense to me.

I guess my question is more about instant gratification. I carry no debt, but thought a few months would make sense. Better than time payments because I get instant gratification. Alas, the comic is not mine...yet.
If you are financially secure and really want the book then i say, go for it! :)

I agree. This is a grail purchase and you don't normally buy on credit. Make the seller a higher offer and pay the card off in a few months. Live on the edge lol .

I agree. This is a grail purchase and you don't normally buy on credit. Make the seller a higher offer and pay the card off in a few months. Live on the edge lol .

:o

As I have stated before, but never get tired of giving this advice... although others might get annoyed, CREDIT BAD!!!!! :sumo:

If you cant afford it, my advice is dont buy it!! :sumo:

Credit is a scam, Banks are a scam! The more you can do without them the better!!

Save up for the comic and pay cash when you can afford it. It can be done but it takes patience. Nothing Feels better financially than to not be a slave to any Bank or lending institution.

Hell if my acountant would let me I would pull all my funds buissness, and Private from our Bank. They pay me squat in interest anyways!

Try to develop the patience needed to save for that comic.

It is really difficult to have this mindset, because we live in a want it now Society, with an economic system based on credit. Resist that mentality. Remember If you are paying interest you are a slave to that lender. Granted most have to Use Credit to Buy large purchases like a house, I did of course in my early years. But let that be the exception and be so darn annoyed that you pay it off as early as possible! :preach:

Good luck you will get that comic eventually! (thumbs u

End of... rantrant

As I have stated before, but never get tired of giving this advice... although others might get annoyed, CREDIT BAD!!!!! :sumo:

If you cant afford it, my advice is dont buy it!! :sumo:

Credit is a scam, Banks are a scam! The more you can do without them the better!!

Save up for the comic and pay cash when you can afford it. It can be done but it takes patience. Nothing Feels better financially than to not be a slave to any Bank or lending institution.

Hell if my acountant would let me I would pull all my funds buissness, and Private from our Bank. They pay me squat in interest anyways!

Try to develop the patience needed to save for that comic.

It is really difficult to have this mindset, because we live in a want it now Society, with an economic system based on credit. Resist that mentality. Remember If you are paying interest you are a slave to that lender. Granted most have to Use Credit to Buy large purchases like a house, I did of course in my early years. But let that be the exception and be so darn annoyed that you pay it off as early as possible! :preach:

Good luck you will get that comic eventually! (thumbs u

End of... rantrant

I also hate debt and never carry a balance on my credit card. Too many people are living beyond their means and borrowing from their future.

I don't think that is the situation here. I believe the OP never goes beyond his comic budget and never puts his purchases on credit. It's time for him to put on his pirate hat and take no prisoners. :devil:

On many occasions I've used a credit card to buy a big book, then sold books to pay for it before my next bill arrived from the credit card company. An added bonus is the frequent flyer miles I rack up using the card. I almost always fly for free.

Well you guys have talked me out of going after the Tec 2 in the next Comic Connect auction. I could only get something like that with trade or credit card and I won't have enough time to sell big enough books to get it that way either.

If you think it's a steal of a deal, it might be worth it. But, if you think that you are paying market price, you might think about it. Too bad you can work out some time payments with the seller.

my philosophy was never to buy a book for me, that I couldn't pay for now...

recently though, money is "cheap" (as in credit) and prices on some books are even cheaper... so, if you are very confident you can pay the purchase off in a relatively short period of time, it might be worth it to buy now, and use credit if you need too