• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is This Forum Slowly Dying?

447 posts in this topic

My personal opinion: General has a lot of substanceless threads and posts, and it's gotten tiresome to wade through the fluff...so I have been sticking to some of the other sections of the site.

Exactly.

Lots of negativity at times.

Everything is cyclical and the summer is probably the time when people spend the least amount of time online.

That said, these forums have certainly evolved.

When I first joined it seemed as though they were content driven. Information sharing seemed to be the primary driver and the social aspect was a happy byproduct.

Now, we have a whole new generation of posters whose primary driver appears to be the social aspect.. the boards are much more personality driven. Information sharing is now secondary.

So, if you are an old school information seeker (and not part of the clique), there isn't a whole lot of "stickiness" here anymore. Give it a quick browse and move along. If you are a new gen person seeking social interaction, there are plenty of opportunities to insert yourself.

Genius and common sense in one post.

This is why zippers are better than buttons.

I don't think this place is dying at all. I think there is a little burnout, but the amount of actually compelling content on the site is fairly high. The marketplace isn't what I would call "booming", but I've managed to sell some pretty high-end books in only a few months. So there are still "buyers" here. The scandals seem to actually encourage posting not discourage...

I don't think this place is dying at all. I think there is a little burnout, but the amount of actually compelling content on the site is fairly high. The marketplace isn't what I would call "booming", but I've managed to sell some pretty high-end books in only a few months. So there are still "buyers" here. The scandals seem to actually encourage posting not discourage...

I'd say the marketplace is booming with prime material - off hand, I can think of foolkiller and iggy's threads - however, there is way too much stuff for the marketplace to absorb at one time. So, some may think the marketplace is depressed, when in reality, it is flooded with awesome material. I could easily commit to tens of thousands of dollars of more books, but I'd be in time payments until 2012.

I think the more appropriate word for the Marketplace right now is "bombing". lol

My personal opinion: General has a lot of substanceless threads and posts, and it's gotten tiresome to wade through the fluff...so I have been sticking to some of the other sections of the site.

Exactly.

(thumbs u

Define negativity.

Is it 'all comics are turd'?

Or more along the lines of 'I'm not happy with where the hobby is heading'?

Because if it's the former, it has no place here. If the latter, it is the one of the prime reasons that these boards will survive and continue to be a place of great education and debate.

Dying?, no.. sleeping yes. (thumbs u

This place perks up from time to time but I think for the most part we have all talked ourselves out. That and what Zipper said.

Does not mean we don't read the forums daily.

but I think for the most part we have all talked ourselves out.

Bingo. Most stuff has been talked to death. So it's mostly noobies coming on bringing up topics that have already been hashed out.

I used to come here for the content and information. I found that I liked a lot of the people, and respected even more of them.

Lately I see too many posts that look like this one:

*** You are ignoring this user ***

Toggle the display of this post

Exactly.

(thumbs u

Define negativity.

Because if it's the former, it has no place here. If the latter, it is the one of the prime reasons that these boards will survive and continue to be a place of great education and debate.

I agree with you 100%.

The negativity I was talking about had nothing to do with debates, strong discussions or the direction of the hobby.

It had to do with the name calling, personal attacks, the "what I collect is cool, what you collect sucks" posts, the "who's the loser who paid that much for that big book" etc etc etc.

As membership increases, the hobby (ie forum membership) grows and as comics get more expensive there has been in increase in drastic emotions, partisanship and personal attacks.

That's what I was talking about.

I love a good, strong discussion.

As long as people can keep cool heads we should be able to discuss anything and at worst walk away calm and agree to disagree.

I've been around here many years but I can't remember an evening when the number of new posts have been so few. Where the hell is everyone? Or is this becoming the norm?

Jim

Oh and btw-

A lot of the good threads that go 20+ pages seemed to get pulled/locked/moved to the Water Cooler much more frequently in the last few months.

I think the recent Mod crackdown combined with some recent marketplace shenanigans have lead to some negative vibs here.

And lets not forgot the loss of one of our greatest and most positive members.

:angel:

^^

Pardon?

:insane:

Exactly.

(thumbs u

Define negativity.

I agree with you 100%.

The negativity I was talking about had nothing to do with debates, strong discussions or the direction of the hobby.

It had to do with the name calling, personal attacks, the "what I collect is cool, what you collect sucks" posts, the "who's the loser who paid that much for that big book" etc etc etc.

As membership increases, the hobby (ie forum membership) grows and as comics get more expensive there has been in increase in drastic emotions, partisanship and personal attacks.

As long as people can keep cool heads we should be able to discuss anything and at worst walk away calm and agree to disagree.

Great attitude Roy. :applause:

After all, we're all supposed to be adults aren't we? Well, except for maybe CapFreak and he's no longer with us. :banana:

Exactly.

(thumbs u

Define negativity.

I agree with you 100%.

(thumbs u

I used to come here for the content and information. I found that I liked a lot of the people, and respected even more of them.

How many is too many?

How many is too many?

...One

How many is too many?

...One

Every other one, that is.

I have about four on ignore. I decided life is just too short. It does make reading the boards all that much faster. (thumbs u

Except when people quote them. It seems to happen often with the few I have on ignore. :censored:

I have about four on ignore. I decided life is just too short. It does make reading the boards all that much faster. (thumbs u

Except when people quote them. It seems to happen often with the few I have on ignore. :censored:

Case in point. :baiting: