• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is This Forum Slowly Dying?

447 posts in this topic

I have about four on ignore. I decided life is just too short. It does make reading the boards all that much faster. (thumbs u

Except when people quote them. It seems to happen often with the few I have on ignore. :censored:

Case in point. :baiting:

lol

I have about four on ignore. I decided life is just too short. It does make reading the boards all that much faster. (thumbs u

Except when people quote them. It seems to happen often with the few I have on ignore. :censored:

Case in point. :baiting:

lol:grin:

It had to do with the name calling, personal attacks, the "what I collect is cool, what you collect sucks" posts, the "who's the loser who paid that much for that big book" etc etc etc.

As comics get more expensive there has been in increase in drastic emotions, partisanship and personal attacks.

Roy,

This is your latest shibboleth and I, for one, am sick of it. Every time there is a debate about prices, there you are saying "Hey, everything is great. Don't mock people who paid $14,000 for a mid-run TTA. Don't make personal attacks."

(1) If anyone feels personally attacked, they generally get on here and defend themselves. No one needs you tilting at windmills and taking up the escutcheon of every aggrieved BSD who spends more on one comic than some people do on their mortgages.

(2) High prices on top end books affect every aspect of the market for books in lower grade. It is important to talk about. For me, it is one of the most important things to talk about. I want a 9.4 Avengers 57. I am not going to spend 2.5k on one. But in the threads marvelling at high prices, I did get into a PM exchange that turned me on to a couple of 7.0-8.0 copies to tide me over. And, I entered into my first PM exchange with a person on here that ended up being a regular PM correspondent. And sometimes it is good to blow off steam about being priced out of some books that I was priced out of back in the 80's when i was in college.

You keep saying that you are all about discourse and the exchange of ideas. You also say that you love comics. From where I am sitting lately, it is clear only that you love the high prices that comics sell for.

It had to do with the name calling, personal attacks, the "what I collect is cool, what you collect sucks" posts, the "who's the loser who paid that much for that big book" etc etc etc.

As comics get more expensive there has been in increase in drastic emotions, partisanship and personal attacks.

Roy,

This is your latest shibboleth and I, for one, am sick of it. Every time there is a debate about prices, there you are saying "Hey, everything is great. Don't mock people who paid $14,000 for a mid-run TTA. Don't make personal attacks."

(1) If anyone feels personally attacked, they generally get on here and defend themselves. No one needs you tilting at windmills and taking up the escutcheon of every aggrieved BSD who spends more on one comic than some people do on their mortgages.

(2) High prices on top end books affect every aspect of the market for books in lower grade. It is important to talk about. For me, it is one of the most important things to talk about. I want a 9.4 Avengers 57. I am not going to spend 2.5k on one. But in the threads marvelling at high prices, I did get into a PM exchange that turned me on to a couple of 7.0-8.0 copies to tide me over. And, I entered into my first PM exchange with a person on here that ended up being a regular PM correspondent. And sometimes it is good to blow off steam about being priced out of some books that I was priced out of back in the 80's when i was in college.

You keep saying that you are all about discourse and the exchange of ideas. You also say that you love comics. From where I am sitting lately, it is clear only that you love the high prices that comics sell for.

From where I'm sitting, it seems that...

1) You want to complain about what people spend or ridicule them for a purchase you think is too high. Maybe you'd also like to object to how much they earn?

2) You only care about venting so that you can meet people who will sell you comics you covet.

:grin::baiting:

escutcheon

???

noun 1. a shield or shieldlike surface on which a coat of arms is depicted.

2. an ornamental or protective plate around a keyhole, door handle, drawer pull, light switch, etc.

3. Nautical. a panel on the stern of a vessel bearing its name and port of registry.

—Idiom4. blot on one's escutcheon, a stain on one's reputation; disgrace.

1) You want to complain about what people spend or ridicule them for a purchase you think is too high. Maybe you'd also like to object to how much they earn?

2) You only care about venting so that you can meet people who will sell you comics you covet.

I'd say FU Shin, if this wasn't so damn funny.

Do it anyway.

Do it anyway.

lol

Roy,

Hey Lawyer boy. For one I'm impressed that you know how to use the word escutcheon.

:golfclap:

Let's get a few things straight.

1) I've never said everything is great. That's you putting words into my mouth at my expense.

2) I never implied that there was no correlation between top prices and undercopies

3) I never implied that the topic should not be discussed.

4) Some of these people have come on here and defended themselves with no show of remorse, apology, respect or anything else from people who have spoken against them. Simply silence...which to me is the same thing as disrespecting them.

5) I happen to have the type of personality that will fight for the underdog whether they ask for it or not. It's my programming from day 1. I have equally stood up for every person if I felt they have been wronged. Heck I stood up for Trey Cannon, the biggest fiasco to ever move through the selling forum, even though in the end I never bought a single thing from him.

I am all for discussion and disclosure so I really have to wonder which emotions your post finds it's roots in.

This post of yours comes across as another personal attack...and why? Because your perception of me compels you to post this sort of a reply.

Where did I say that? Why would you perceive me that way? Please point it out to me or just shut it instead of trying to draw attention to yourself for no other reason than to try to take a shot at me. You obviously have a problem of some sort with me to vent like this so I am happy to try and work through it with you, although I don't know if this is the best place.

As far as PM friends you've made, don't you think that can happen without the name calling and anger that is in these threads?

I'm all for low and high grade collectors joining together. I've never posted to the contrary.

Thanks for letting me know how you feel.

(thumbs u

I've been around here many years but I can't remember an evening when the number of new posts have been so few. Where the hell is everyone? Or is this becoming the norm?

Jim

And lets not forgot the loss of one of our greatest and most positive members.

:angel:

^^

I too was thinking of this. And not only of him but the ensuing flurry of auction and donation activity that occured afterwards. Its just natural that people are gonna take a break, slow down, reconsider things.

I've been around here many years but I can't remember an evening when the number of new posts have been so few. Where the hell is everyone? Or is this becoming the norm?

Jim

^^

I too was thinking of this. And not only of him but the ensuing flurry of auction and donation activity that occured afterwards. Its just natural that people are gonna take a break, slow down, reconsider things.

This post hits home.

Jim

^^

I too was thinking of this. And not only of him but the ensuing flurry of auction and donation activity that occurred afterwards. Its just natural that people are gonna take a break, slow down, reconsider things.

This became much more of a mitigating factor than even I anticipated. Several of us were so busy during everything that happened that reality really didn't have a chance to set in. When everything was finished, it was like a ton of bricks... all at once. To be quite frank, I'm still a little bruised.