• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is This Forum Slowly Dying?

447 posts in this topic

Roy,

It's really not personal to me. At all. I am more than happy to attack your ideas or the way you present them, but that is not an attack on you as a man, unless you choose to take it that way. I hope that you don't. I am the type of person that can think that you hold a belief or express an opinion that I disagree with or even think is foolish, and still be fine with you. The essence of my main issue is this:

"I happen to have the type of personality that will fight for the underdog whether they ask for it or not. It's my programming from day 1. I have equally stood up for every person if I felt they have been wronged. Heck I stood up for Trey Cannon, the biggest fiasco to ever move through the selling forum, even though in the end I never bought a single thing from him."

You constantly interject yourself into the same conversations, sticking up for people that you don't know for no real reason. Just to do it. So do it if you want to. But don't expect me not to call you on it.

The thing about loving the prices and not the books was uncalled for. For that, I publicly apologize.

escutcheon

???

It means to take up up someone's coat of arms or shield, to show that you represent them.

Man I got to stop drinking, I thought you guys were talking about the canal thats in the ear. Hey Sean :hi:

DRX

escutcheon

???

It means to take up up someone's coat of arms or shield, to show that you represent them.

Man I got to stop drinking, I thought you guys were talking about the canal thats in the ear. Hey Sean :hi:

DRX

Hey Tim. If I start posting about the eustachian tubes, it's time to pack it in.

Roy,

It's really not personal to me. At all. I am more than happy to attack your ideas or the way you present them, but that is not an attack on you as a man, unless you choose to take it that way. I hope that you don't. I am the type of person that can think that you hold a belief or express an opinion that I disagree with or even think is foolish, and still be fine with you. The essence of my main issue is this:

"I happen to have the type of personality that will fight for the underdog whether they ask for it or not. It's my programming from day 1. I have equally stood up for every person if I felt they have been wronged. Heck I stood up for Trey Cannon, the biggest fiasco to ever move through the selling forum, even though in the end I never bought a single thing from him."

You constantly interject yourself into the same conversations, sticking up for people that you don't know for no real reason. Just to do it. So do it if you want to. But don't expect me not to call you on it.

You are now assuming that I don't know any of these people better than the average person, aren't you? Call me on it all you want. Not everything is for the public ear but if you ever want to know exactly why I'm saying something I'm only a PM away. I always have a reason as to why I'm posting something and if you have time to PM about an Avengers 57 I'd think you'd have the time to ask me why I'm posting certain things if they rub you the wrong way.

As far as the Trey thing, well, he and I have exchanged several PMs behind the scenes and I'll just say that I think I'm pretty good at reading my gut and trusting it. It's usually right.

The thing about loving the prices and not the books was uncalled for. For that, I publicly apologize.

That comment was unexpected and a little hurtful and your apology is very much appreciated.

(thumbs u

Roy,

You are now assuming that I don't know any of these people better than the average person, aren't you? Call me on it all you want. Not everything is for the public ear but if you ever want to know exactly why I'm saying something I'm only a PM away. I always have a reason as to why I'm posting something and if you have time to PM about an Avengers 57 I'd think you'd have the time to ask me why I'm posting certain things if they rub you the wrong way.

As far as the Trey thing, well, he and I have exchanged several PMs behind the scenes and I'll just say that I think I'm pretty good at reading my gut and trusting it. It's usually right.

That comment was unexpected and a little hurtful and your apology is very much appreciated.

(thumbs u

You know, this was the exact kind of thing Roy was talking about in his original post. Adds a good bit of irony to the thread.

Glad to see an apology, though, for comments that were out of line. I know Roy, I think pretty well, and his interest in books is definitely not just about prices. He has no problem shooting the spit with low-grade collectors such as myself either.

I also have exchanged PMs with Trey (he bought some books from me) and from his actions he might be a doofus, but I don't *think* he's as ill-intentioned as some made him out to be. I was glad someone did stick up for him just a bit. It seemed inappropriate to do so myself, especially with an open sales transaction, but I think there are definitely worse people on the forums. (Probably better people too, mind you, but there are other worse scam artists that these forums have seen-- and I think said people intended to be that way at the start more than Trey did.) Should he sell on here again? I dunno, but that debate is for another thread anyway.

We really need to stop chewing each others' heads off. It might be the reason there are less posts with actual content because people are scared to post content for fear of the landmines that would get set off...

-Rob-

Roy,

(thumbs u

You know, this was the exact kind of thing Roy was talking about in his original post. Adds a good bit of irony to the thread.

Glad to see an apology, though, for comments that were out of line. I know Roy, I think pretty well, and his interest in books is definitely not just about prices. He has no problem shooting the spit with low-grade collectors such as myself either.

I also have exchanged PMs with Trey (he bought some books from me) and from his actions he might be a doofus, but I don't *think* he's as ill-intentioned as some made him out to be. I was glad someone did stick up for him just a bit. It seemed inappropriate to do so myself, especially with an open sales transaction, but I think there are definitely worse people on the forums. (Probably better people too, mind you, but there are other worse scam artists that these forums have seen-- and I think said people intended to be that way at the start more than Trey did.) Should he sell on here again? I dunno, but that debate is for another thread anyway.

We really need to stop chewing each others' heads off. It might be the reason there are less posts with actual content because people are scared to post content for fear of the landmines that would get set off...

-Rob-

I actually thought he was kidding at first...

You are now assuming that I don't know any of these people better than the average person, aren't you?

Not really. I would never think about that, and I couldn't care less. It just gets exhausting sometimes. It is not a personal attack to say someone paid a crazy price for a funny book. And I don't believe that it is a version of "what I collect is great and what you collect sucks." Plus, it's disheartening, to me, to see comics commoditized to the extent they are now. That's what it all boils down to.

Roy,

(thumbs u

-Rob-

I actually thought he was kidding at first...

I did too! But when it became apparent that he wasn't it was just ... kinda odd. But that's kinda the thing these days. We used to rake each other over coals about actual issues like pressing, but now we just do it for no real reason at all. It's disturbing to me.

-Rob-

I've been around here many years but I can't remember an evening when the number of new posts have been so few. Where the hell is everyone? Or is this becoming the norm?

Jim

And lets not forgot the loss of one of our greatest and most positive members.

:angel:

^^

I too was thinking of this. And not only of him but the ensuing flurry of auction and donation activity that occurred afterwards. Its just natural that people are gonna take a break, slow down, reconsider things.

This became much more of a mitigating factor than even I anticipated. Several of us were so busy during everything that happened that reality really didn't have a chance to set in. When everything was finished, it was like a ton of bricks... all at once. To be quite frank, I'm still a little bruised.

You Southern white boys bruise easy.... :baiting:

I've been around here many years but I can't remember an evening when the number of new posts have been so few. Where the hell is everyone? Or is this becoming the norm?

Jim

When I first joined, which was not too long ago, this place was a wealth of knowledge with one or two who posted nothing more than white noise. Buying and selling had little to no issues and it was at the very least an escape for a minute here and a few moments before going to bed.

I find I spend way too much time here now, and the amount of white noise has grown to dangerous levels. You now have to weed through all the junk just to find some valuable information. Buying has become a game of russian roulette and the level of civility has plummeted. People get tired and step away, which might in the long run be a good thing.

I have about four on ignore. I decided life is just too short. It does make reading the boards all that much faster. (thumbs u

Except when people quote them. It seems to happen often with the few I have on ignore. :censored:

Case in point. :baiting:

Now I'm forced to read Octobers ramblings :frustrated:

escutcheon

???

DRX

Hey Tim. If I start posting about the eustachian tubes, it's time to pack it in.

I'm impressed you knew what they are called... and how to spell them properly (worship)

Everything is cyclical and the summer is probably the time when people spend the least amount of time online.

That said, these forums have certainly evolved.

When I first joined it seemed as though they were content driven. Information sharing seemed to be the primary driver and the social aspect was a happy byproduct.

Now, we have a whole new generation of posters whose primary driver appears to be the social aspect.. the boards are much more personality driven. Information sharing is now secondary.

So, if you are an old school information seeker (and not part of the clique), there isn't a whole lot of "stickiness" here anymore. Give it a quick browse and move along. If you are a new gen person seeking social interaction, there are plenty of opportunities to insert yourself.

This is worth requoting. I find Gold pretty active and informative but Silver has died a quick death. All the threads seem to be titled-related where you post your copy in that series. Interesting at times but not all the time.

In fact anything Silver related I tend to post in General as I think it is where the greatest response might be gathered. I fact this has become such a habit I posted a topic on Pulps in General and my thanks to that good someone who mentioned the obvious and I took my question into Gold.