• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Never thought I'd live to see the day...

25 posts in this topic

These are the first pieces of art I have seen that I would be too intimidated to own.

They look so delicate, so fragile, I would be constantly worrying about them and their preservation especially given their significance.

C

These are the first pieces of art I have seen that I would be too intimidated to own.

They look so delicate, so fragile, I would be constantly worrying about them and their preservation especially given their significance.

C

Yes, although I can appreciate the artistic endeavor and value of these pieces, they would not be for me.

Yeah, saw those yesterday and couldn't believe it, especially since we haven't seen one of those since #8 was posted a long time ago. I would love to see the pieces for issues #3 - #7 since they were also done in similar fashion, if I remember correctly.

Anyhow, very cool to see, and hopefully Scott will show off more of the goodies that he has to have.

Later.

-Will

I don't like either of these pieces....I think Kirby puts these to shame.

Apples and oranges. Go troll someplace else.

Why so little love, mrpunch? While I agree ("apples and oranges") and while I think the covers are fantastic, that doesn't mean that everyone is going to agree with me.

I don't get it guys, why would so many of you be scared to own them? Because they don't fit in your art portfolios? To me the scale is a good thing, they are probably a lot more impressive than your average comic cover in person due to being a) in color and b) probably 4x the area of a standard page. As for the delicacy... I assume all of the elements are glued down.... don't really see what there is to be worried about (shrug)

Not that I'm averse to owning them, but I would fall back to "they belong in a museum" -- they're art installations and should be displayed in the properly sized venue. Scott actually has such a venue, so even more perfect!!

If I were the proud owner it would be as simple as having a museum box around the things to protect from accidental contact. (That includes intentional contact by children or drunken friends.) I've seen similar covers displayed that way in the past.

Here's a topic I know at least a little about.

Dave often frames his own pieces knowing that the pieces would need to withstand prying fingers and dust. The Sandman pieces haven't really been together since Four Color had them back in the 90s before the sell off. I do believe I remember these being framed similarly to the McKean piece I have hanging on my wall at home. Of course the Sandman covers being inteded for publication, they were kind of cobbled together a bit more to get the shot. Some of them have been "edited" by McKean for various reasons since the photos for the covers were taken.

Dave's art has certainly evolved a bit since the Sandman days, and his finished products are a bit cleaner and more stable, but they still require the display framing J mentions above. In the case of the large Nitrate series paintings he has been producing, the frame is about 42" x 42" x 4" deep. The glass is all the way forward on the piece. The depth allows for all the things going on with the surface, and the collaged found objects and whatnot to have room.

Some pieces use coiled wire, collage, fabrics, etc.

Mine's got that and more from the garden. It's take forever to list it all out. point being it's the fragile stuff, but affixed for permanence. Something the Sandman covers were not necessarily intended for.

372993016.jpg

372866112.jpg

372866108.jpg

There's a good head-on shot in my CAF.

The frame has to be screwed directly into the studs in the wall to carry the weight. This piece was pretty farkin heavy. I know those shelves with their objects have got to be worse.

Back to the Sandman covers though, as much as there are things about them that would bother me, and the fact that I turned a couple down myself in the past, the pros for those 2 outweigh any cons. Scott is one lucky SOB. :)

-e.

I don't get it guys, why would so many of you be scared to own them? Because they don't fit in your art portfolios? To me the scale is a good thing, they are probably a lot more impressive than your average comic cover in person due to being a) in color and b) probably 4x the area of a standard page. As for the delicacy... I assume all of the elements are glued down.... don't really see what there is to be worried about (shrug)

Scale has nothing to do with it. I have several pieces that are 2 feet by 3 feet or larger.

Take a closer look at those pieces, glass bottles, leaves, several other items that could shatter, tear, break or be destroyed with not much effort.

With a piece this important would you want to be the one that had a child, dog, friend bump it and break something irreplaceable? I wouldn't. This think is a classic piece of the last quarter century, and a lot of it looks like it could snap off or break with a breath.

C

I know a former owner of the original "Seasons of Mists" TPB cover and the key was glued down to the painting. I never got to see it in person, but the reason why he got rid of it was because of the glue, or lack of it, that was holding down the key. Even with it framed, he was concerned that over time, gravity would win, the key would fall off the painting and damage the art itself. Hence, why he sold it, and why I wish I had the money at the time to meet his asking price - I would have not been as concerned.

As far as being scared to own one of the "big" covers, I wouldn't be. Granted, I'm a big fan of the series and the artwork to begin with, but my only underlying concern would be finding a way to properly display the piece. However, I'm sure that I would find a way to do it if I had one. :)

Later.

-Will

Here's a topic I know at least a little about.

Dave often frames his own pieces knowing that the pieces would need to withstand prying fingers and dust. The Sandman pieces haven't really been together since Four Color had them back in the 90s before the sell off.

Was that Rob R. in NYC that owned them ?

Scale has nothing to do with it. I have several pieces that are 2 feet by 3 feet or larger.

Take a closer look at those pieces, glass bottles, leaves, several other items that could shatter, tear, break or be destroyed with not much effort.

With a piece this important would you want to be the one that had a child, dog, friend bump it and break something irreplaceable? I wouldn't. This think is a classic piece of the last quarter century, and a lot of it looks like it could snap off or break with a breath.

C

I guess I'm just not seeing it the same way you are. In those boxes scott has them in (original? not sure) they look pretty solid to me (shrug) especially with the front of the box glassed in. Hung high enough to be away from the kids and dogs you mention I don't see the risk. I guess we'll agree to disagree (shrug)