• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the most you have overpaid and regretted paying for a slab?

43 posts in this topic

Overpaying for rare items because you really wanted them is one thing.

But what is the most you overpaid for a relatively common slab, only to regret it because you could have been able to buy it for a lot less in the future? :cry:

Assume that we are talking about the same or better state for the book that came along later in the case of

- the CGC grade of the 2 books

- the page quality of the 2 books

- the general eye appeal of the 2 books

For example, you bought a Daredevil CGC 9.8 OW-W for $2500, only to realize you could have bought it for $1200 CGC 9.8 WHITE if you had waiting 2 years for prices to fall.

my biggest "mistakes" were probably buying a few C-OW books at prices where I should have gotten OW-W or better quality at that price

but I didn't know in the beginning that C-OW sold at a sizable discount

I paid $3000 for a 9.8 copy of X-Men 114. I don't know what they sell for now but I regret it anyway.

One on ebay right now for $2,000 BIN. It's hyping that two others sold for nearly a thousand more earlier this year, which to me would be stating "Hey look at me trying to unload this book as the price is dropping"

I paid $3000 for a 9.8 copy of X-Men 114. I don't know what they sell for now but I regret it anyway.

Last 2 GPA sales were $1673 and $1793

So $3k is probably rich for a 1978 book with 16 copies in 9.8 on census, and another 58 in 9.6 in line to get pressed into some 9.8 copies. (shrug)

I took a 500 dollar hit on a Gaines File book, of all things. There was another book I wanted at the time and my collecting had become more focused, so I went with it. Seems like those Gaines File copies are coming up with a lot more frequency than they were five to seven years ago. Ah well.