• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marketplace Sales Threads & Paypal Fees Poll

Sales Threads & Paypal Fees  

345 members have voted

1. 1. Sales Threads & Paypal Fees

71 posts in this topic

This is all well and good but frankly why should I share the 3% just because they pay cash or check.

If I discounted the item to $100 I sold it for $100, not $97 just because they are paying by credit card or paypal. Besides that 3% is an expense that lowers your profit margin which you deduct on your business tax return.

Should I extend my tax savings to the customer also because they are paying cash?

Electronic payments are a cost of doing business.

Quite frankly Bob, this is the type of thinking that has gotten the banks so rich. I'm not stating that you should have to discount to $97, I'm just stating that there's something wrong with the fact that cr.cd companies make money off of "Debit" cards (please note I'm not talking about cr.cd's), when in actuality they are taking zero risk with money. As soon as my store batches at the end of the day, the funds from debit cards go through. I never thought I'd support Walmart, but a LOT of us indy business owners are supporting their lawsuit with the "debit" card co's.

As far as fee's as a whole, of course I absorb them as a seller. But I do always appreciate the % discount if by paying cash. And to be honest, I wasnt' very well aware of how the "personal" part worked on paypal till this thread, so thank you all.

I haven't read the whole thread and I'm not going to bother.

When I list a book for sale. That's the price no matter how you want to, or need to, pay. If someone buys the book at my full listing price and can use personal paypal, check or MO. then I'm happy to extend the savings to them if they ask for it. If I've discounted the book in any way from my list price, then the buyer should be courteous and allow me to save the 3% if possible. (Unless that was already part of the terms negotiated)

Seems like common sense and common courtesy to me.

If a seller lists a crate of widgets for sale at the price of your patrimony, firstborn, and left nut, then the wisest thing for that buyer to do is make an offer that they believe to be more reasonable.

Instead of excoriating the seller's list price, why not just make an offer?

Please add 3% to this post if using paypal.

Classic wimpy crybaby meets self-congratulatory thread.

my price on the boards is always a credit card or paypal price (cost of doing business included)... if a buyer wishes to pay with check or money order, they are saving me 3%, I pass that 3% on to them... sometimes, that 3% is an incentive for the buyer to make a purchase

perfect example... offer a comic for $5000... or, offer for $4850 with cash discount...

if I sell the comic for $5K via paypal, I net $4850... why make the customer pay that extra $150 if I can save it for them and if they have the "cash" to purchase... seems like the right thing to do

I factor in things like PP fees in the price when I offer my books for sale.

Also the PP "personal" option does not provide any protection for the buyer correct?

Or the seller.

I factor in things like PP fees in the price when I offer my books for sale.

Also the PP "personal" option does not provide any protection for the buyer correct?

Or the seller.

I am a Health Director I always promote safe "interactions" between consenting adults. :whistle:

Plus isn't everyone using the personal option under "other" in Paypal to avoid fees? I'm certainly using it with boardies I know and have done business with over the years.

Two key things here:

1) If someone can't by via personal, I think a good seller will simply eat the fees.

2) When I ask someone to pay via personal, I fully recognize it is a favor they are doing me because we have done business before. I believe when people pay via personal, it allows me to discount deeper and offer free shipping etc.

Exactly!

If I'm selling I don't have a problem with asking someone to make it a Personal Payment. But I'll eat the fee if they can't.

If I'm buying I will usually send it as Personal, especially if I was willing to pay with a MO in the first place. The only time I insist on using a credit card is if the person is unknown on the boards. Even then, if it's a big ticket item I might throw in a few bucks to help offset the cost (cuz that's how I roll).

I voted for crack.

Had I the option, I would have chosen PayPal, money order, check or cash – all the same price. I don’t sell much, but when I do that’s how I do it. I don’t get it. If you buy something with a credit card, does the store charge you extra to cover the fees they’re charged? No. The 3% is the cost of doing business. There are no fees involved in selling here.

Let me repeat – there are no fees involved in selling here. Where else are you going to find a market for your goods at no cost? You go to an auction house and you’ll be paying consignment. You go to ebay, you’ve got insertion and final value fees. You set up at a show, you pay for your table.

If you’re selling a big ticket book at a reduced price for Forumites, then maybe that’s a reason. Otherwise I don’t see it.

:golfclap:

I know when I see a sales thread and someone wants the buyer to pay the paypal fee I immediately lose interest, even if it's a book I'm really interested it, I move on. And I know a lot of people do as well out of principle.

:golfclap: :golfclap:

I voted for crack.

Had I the option, I would have chosen PayPal, money order, check or cash – all the same price. I don’t sell much, but when I do that’s how I do it. I don’t get it. If you buy something with a credit card, does the store charge you extra to cover the fees they’re charged? No. The 3% is the cost of doing business. There are no fees involved in selling here.

Let me repeat – there are no fees involved in selling here. Where else are you going to find a market for your goods at no cost? You go to an auction house and you’ll be paying consignment. You go to ebay, you’ve got insertion and final value fees. You set up at a show, you pay for your table.

If you’re selling a big ticket book at a reduced price for Forumites, then maybe that’s a reason. Otherwise I don’t see it.

:golfclap:

I know when I see a sales thread and someone wants the buyer to pay the paypal fee I immediately lose interest, even if it's a book I'm really interested it, I move on. And I know a lot of people do as well out of principle.

(thumbs u (thumbs u