• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Susan Cicconi

266 posts in this topic

No matter how good the book looks in hand, if the thing was beat up enough to need leaf casting and major inpainting, it isn't going to fool anyone who knows what restoration looks like.

Obviously.

doh!

I was talking about the type of color touch that makes a 9.2/9.4 into a 9.8.

We're talking about disassembling a cover and putting it into an inkjet printer. Do you honestly think someone is going to do that with a valuable 9.2/9.4?

No matter how good the book looks in hand, if the thing was beat up enough to need leaf casting and major inpainting, it isn't going to fool anyone who knows what restoration looks like.

Obviously.

doh!

We're talking about disassembling a cover and putting it into an inkjet printer. Do you honestly think someone is going to do that with a valuable 9.2/9.4?

If the money is right, sure.

That's obsurd. The potential reward -vs- the potential risk wouldn't be there for even the greediest presser/flippers.

We said the same thing about disassembly for pressing, trimming, etc. If it can make money, someone will do it.

That's obsurd. The potential reward -vs- the potential risk wouldn't be there for even the greediest presser/flippers.

+1

Plus the books get stuck in the printers rollers :devil:

Really? I think we already seen that if risk/reward is great enough there really are no limits to what people will try.

What have we seen that is already absurd? Trimming, complete disassembly/reassembly of a book, cleaning, reglossing, tear seals, marrying leaves, adding pieces, acrylic color touch and even counterfeiting complete comic books...much of which can't be detected by the average person and much that has been done by the wrong people with the intention to deceive.

Is there really a limit to the risk someone will take if enough money is waiting on the table?

Maybe to someone who is conservative it's not worth the effort but not to someone who sees the potential to make lots of money and is willing to take a chance the risk will not be a barrier. We all know that the "right" book can cost next to nothing before a "treatment" and be worth lots of $ after wards so the reward can easily justify the risk.

R.

We said the same thing about disassembly for pressing, trimming, etc. If it can make money, someone will do it.

(thumbs u

+1

Plus the books get stuck in the printers rollers :devil:

Really? I think we already seen that if risk/reward is great enough there really are no limits to what people will try.

What have we seen that is already absurd? Trimming, complete disassembly/reassembly of a book, cleaning, reglossing, tear seals, marrying leaves, adding pieces, acrylic color touch and even counterfeiting complete comic books...much of which can't be detected by the average person and much that has been done by the wrong people with the intention to deceive.

Is there really a limit to the risk someone will take if enough money is waiting on the table?

Maybe to someone who is conservative it's not worth the effort but not to someone who sees the potential to make lots of money and is willing to take a chance the risk will not be a barrier. We all know that the "right" book can cost next to nothing before a "treatment" and be worth lots of $ after wards so the reward can easily justify the risk.

R.

I see this being done more for an ego boost intially as opposed to it's profitableness. The risk of funging a book seems greater than pressing it or trimming it.

I should have known better then to comment. (thumbs u

Why, there's nothing wrong with your comment? We're allowed to differ in opinions.

(shrug)

Honestly Roy, just the thought of loading a HG cover into a printer gives me the willies. :eek:

While it might be possible to duplicate the 4 color dot matrix process with a printer, plates, super computer or whatever I just cannot see the registration being anywhere near close enough to warrant the time and risk to CT leaf casted covers, let alone non restored HG books. Not to mention getting perfect color match and texture takes more then one pass and even then ANYTHING applied post production would still be detectable under a loupe.

It simply would not be practical, too much risk for too little reward. Unless the goal was a one time cash grab on Ebay.

I would agree that people will try anything for a buck, but that is limited by what people can get away with. And CT is not one of them.

I don't disagree with that, but I don't think either of those would carry close to the same risk (trimming, maybe) I would also imagine that both are much more cost and time effective to "practice"

I suppose someone would be foolish enoigh to try it, it's still obsurd IMO.

Honestly Roy, just the thought of loading a HG cover into a printer gives me the willies. :eek:

While it might be possible to duplicate the 4 color dot matrix process with a printer, plates, super computer or whatever I just cannot see the registration being anywhere near close enough to warrant the time and risk to CT leaf casted covers, let alone non restored HG books. Not to mention getting perfect color match and texture takes more then one pass and even then ANYTHING applied post production would still be detectable under a loupe.

It simply would not be practical, too much risk for too little reward. Unless the goal was a one time cash grab on Ebay.

I would agree that people will try anything for a buck, but that is limited by what people can get away with. CT is not one of them.

(thumbs u

I eagerly look forward to Roy's rationale why people will still try it.

And - Grammar Police Say : it's absurd. No "o". (thumbs u

I would agree that people will try anything for a buck, but that is limited by what people can get away with. CT is not one of them.

Ze, I don't think anything is impossible when someone sets their mind to it but I do agree that even for the average conservator with the best intentions it would be a large hurdle.

Still, when we look at technology and what we are capable of doing, it's really only a matter of time until someone at some point comes up with a method for some industry somewhere that can spill over into some fraud artist's hand and be used for the wrong reasons.

I have a few ideas on how it can be done but I won't get into them here.

In the interests of full disclosure I don't even own a printer.

:insane:

As in any circle where there is a lot of money involved, the reward becomes greater than the consequences to the *correct* people.

Anyway, I'm not wanting to disagree with anyone but I do see the potential out there for people to abuse the system. My opinion is that the technology exists, it just may not be accessible to everyone.

Money?

Not wanting to make an honest living?

Greed?

No backbone?

edited to say: Lots of time to kill

(shrug)

I get ya Roy, I actually wish there was a way. It is the biggest hurdle we face in leaf casting comics. When in filling large areas of missing paper that otherwise would not have been cost effective or even possible to do before you are left with vast areas that need to be CT'ed. And in many cases thats'a lotta CT.

We could of course advise people they don't need no steenking CT. Which on many books is not a bad option actually. hm

Money?

Not wanting to make an honest living?

Greed?

No backbone?

edited to say: Lots of time to kill

(shrug)

Those are all logical reasons why someone would want to do it, but you're ignoring Kenny's point: it is simply not possible to run a comic cover through an inkjet and 1) have the result be undetectable and 2) not trash the cover in the process.

Forgive me, but I must do this:

doh!

Not to beat this horse further, but all in good fun. :kidaround:

How many 9.2/9.4 books are there with enough ink loss without matching physical flaws to warrant CT'ing in this manner in hopes of a 9.8?