• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Susan Cicconi

266 posts in this topic

I don't get it either. :(

While it's obvious trippy had some bad dealings with Susan(allegedly) I do not understand the need to tell people she is using outdated methods when comic book restoration hasn't really changed for decades. Aside from maybe leaf casting(which isn't a new process) what would he have her do differently to be considered current?

Regarding the FF 12, from what we have seen it looks great. Re creating the ind is always problematic because you only get one shot at it unless you want to take the chance of wiping it off and trying again. I have no idea if Tracey hand drew, or in filled the ind on his FF 1, but imagine Tracey has had his share that did not turn out as hoped for. It happens.

I prefer to judge the work overall rather then pick apart small things because while perfection is always desired it rarely happens given the medium.

nice calls! staples are original but cleaned. I'll add a scan of the back cvr to the photobucket link.

:taptaptap::whistle::juggle:

And if you could take some pics of the interior at the staples (inside front and back cover, plus the centerfold), that would be great, too. I love looking at close-ups of finished restoration work. That's where you learn the most, short of actually putting together your own restoration lab and trying it out for yourself.

It looks to me from the front like she did a superb job of removing the rust stains.

Not sure what Trippy is complaining about re the IND. That's actually a pretty good result from what I can see. I've seen lots worse.

Speaking of the IND as well as possibly other parts of books that may need to be redrawn, is it possible to create a type of transfer, almost like the old rub on transfers. They would be of better quality of course. It would get rid of the hand drawn look in certain areas.

if you want perfect lettering like for the IND, you have to put the cover through a laser printer. Believe it or dont.

Or make a stencil. :makepoint:

I was thinking the same thing. I imagined the letters would have to be done seperately to line them up and the D would have to be 2 pieces or hand fill the gap left from a stenciled D. It seems to me making a stencil that small and perfect would be almost as hard as hand painting it. Is there a specialty shop that makes custom stencils? :baiting:

if you want perfect lettering like for the IND, you have to put the cover through a laser printer. Believe it or dont.

Or make a stencil. :makepoint:

I was thinking the same thing. I imagined the letters would have to be done seperately to line them up and the D would have to be 2 pieces or hand fill the gap left from a stenciled D. It seems to me making a stencil that small and perfect would be almost as hard as hand painting it. Is there a specialty shop that makes custom stencils? :baiting:

Photocopy a cover and use an X-Acto knife to cut the stencil out of a sheet of mylar laid over the photocopy of the IND. You'll need to leave a couple of slivers of plastic to connect the middle of the D to the outside, but you can just hand fill that, as you note.

hey guys,

check out this FF 12 that I had susan do some work on for me. I found a very 'sound' book on ebay and bought it with this in mind.

link to before/after scans and pics from having the book in hand today

I think, IMHO, this should put anyone at ease who would consider having susan do some restoration for them. I'm pretty darned happy with it. her evaluation was excellent, communication right there and quick turnaround on the finished book.

FF 12 by Susan Ciccone

Dscf4210.jpg

As previously discussed, Brian, just a beautiful job/book! WOW...I'll never have a copy that looks that good...excellent job as well spotting the right book that could take the work! :headbang:

Custom rub-downs or transfer type can reproduce type perfectly in any color :idea:

The only caveat is it can be scraped off. But who scrapes a rare comic in a slab or bag?

There are still some places that make them in New York.

Custom rub-downs or transfer type can reproduce type perfectly in any color :idea:

The only caveat is it can be scraped off. But who scrapes a rare comic in a slab or bag?

There are still some places that make them in New York.

I think a little re-gloss in the area of the rub down would be down right invisible and preserve the area well.

The rub-downs they make today, can be made glossy or matte and have zero material outside the letters, so they're indistinguishable from the original letters. Actually, never thought of it before, but I wonder if this is a tool restorers use at all?

never say never, tom!

after all, you ARE the fortunate guy to buy an FF #1 for .50!!! [even if it was during the sticky fingers era] wow, that is a great, great story my friend.

cheers

Thanks for posting the post-restoration back cover picture. She did a nice job of reducing the tideline. It is still visible, but just barely.