• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Susan Cicconi

266 posts in this topic

Can people stop bringing up clamato, please?

Clamato is a meal unto itself when you have the munchies.

:cloud9:

Great chaser after tequila as well.

:grin:

OK Roy, you've convinced me. The criminal mind will drive people to disassemble high grade books to run them through some futuristic printer through which some futuristic software program will slow down the printing process and line up the inkjet ink perfectly with only the tiny areas of loss (probably through the use of a futuristic scanner). And they'll do that instead of applying printer's ink by hand, which is far easier, far less likely to result in damage, and because it is printer's ink, far less likely to be visible upon inspection than inkjet ink. Darn those criminal minds!

:whatev:

You sure get wound up when someone disagrees with you.

I'm not wound up. I just find it funny that you're so sure someone will find a way to use an inkjet printer to do hidden, undetectable color touch and that no discussion of reality seems to have any effect on your beliefs.

Don't you think that counterfeit paintings, money and even comic books nowadays simply shows that there is no limit to what is possible?

It isn't a question of what is "possible." It is a question of what makes sense. Re-read my postings about inkjet ink vs. printer's ink with an open mind instead of with an inclination to argue and you'll see what I mean. There is simply no point in putting a 9.6 through an inkjet printer or printing press when all you're trying to do is touch up a 1/16th inch spine stress. 10 times out of 10 you'd get a better result applying CT by hand with a lot less possibility of damage to the book, because you wouldn't have to disassemble it.

Because a process may be tricky or complex, doesn't mean you should dismiss it. I'll stick my neck out and claim printers should have a place in restoration. Maybe not for everyday CT use but on the other hand, printers are good at reproducing fonts and logos with great fidelity, especially micro-fonts. It is an "indulgent" process that is expensive in terms of man-hours. But if someone has money to throw into reproducing that missing piece in a poster, dust jacket, or comic book cover, then why not?

And if someone knows of any way to reproduce BY HAND the micro-point font of a Johnson-Smith ad (seen in key GA books), then I will eat my shoe with a Clamato chaser.

I completely agree. I've seen microfonts reproduced by hand on expensive books. One of the books I saw was a book that Susan did. She did a great job, but on close inspection, you could definitely tell the difference. A printer would make a much better reproduction.

i think this thread is a good example of Roy not really being able to explain what he was thinking when he first made the statement.

i could see a day in some unspecified point in the future wherein an enterprising mind might be able to create a computer-driven or -aided process allowing for a level of CT far beyond what's capable now. i can also further see how such a process or processes would / could allow for certain otherwise HG books with specific flaws to be boosted up to a level that offered satisfactory reward.

i can also see how one day there would be a universal antiviral vaccine that would prevent the transfer of virus by interfering with their delivery method.

it's all hypothetical, however. arguing for or against what may or may not be discovered at some future date is a pretty useless diversion unless one just enjoys being argumentative.

it's an interesting conundrum, though. how to make CT more accurate via replication of the original printing process

it's all hypothetical, however. arguing for or against what may or may not be discovered at some future date is a pretty useless diversion unless one just enjoys being argumentative.

Well, it's either being hypothetical, arguing for or against, ... or praising the virtues of the well-known Clamato.

i think this thread is a good example of Roy not really being able to explain what he was thinking when he first made the statement.

Something like that...except that I think we are already there.

(thumbs u

Ya know...I started this thread....And I would personally like to say Susan can kiss my ....When she is "evaluating" a book...she says "OH, i can make it look wonderful..."/// Ok, how do you define wonderful? She needs to catch up with whats been going on in the last few years with CGC and restoration in general. She is still stuck in her mid 80's mentality. She is more talk than anything else...The two books she restored for me only increased no more than 2 points in grade...Her excuse..."Oh, CGC are very strict." Yeah..whatever, get with the times will ya!!

Ya know...I started this thread....And I would personally like to say Susan can kiss my ....When she is "evaluating" a book...she says "OH, i can make it look wonderful..."/// Ok, how do you define wonderful? She needs to catch up with whats been going on in the last few years with CGC and restoration in general. She is still stuck in her mid 80's mentality. She is more talk than anything else...The two books she restored for me only increased no more than 2 points in grade...Her excuse..."Oh, CGC are very strict." Yeah..whatever, get with the times will ya!!

You been sippin on grandpas cough medicine again Trippy?

Everyone makes mistakes and not every job turns out as planned, sadly some books just don't respond as well as others.

Estimating apparent grades beforehand is nothing more then a crahpshoot imho, and why I would opt for assigning a lower estimated grade instead of promising the moon just to land a job. Expectations not met are often times worse then poor results.

But since we don't know any of the details regarding your books this is kind of a pointless conversation, that has not stopped you from bringing it up again though. :P

I still like my simple rubber stamp idea. Just a single short row of dots and ink each row by hand. Scott mentioned Matt did some dot work on his AF 15 so high tech or not it is being done. I can't wait for him to post some scans of it. :baiting:

Reread my post above about why the rubber stamp won't work. Make sure you look closely at the scan of the FF#25 so you can see why I say it would be difficult. A simple stamp with one row of dots wouldn't do it. Honestly, you'd get a better result with a good scanner and inkjet printer as long as you could figure out how to keep the ink from running (whether through the use of waterproof inks or through the use of a fixative over normal inks).

I still like my simple rubber stamp idea. Just a single short row of dots and ink each row by hand. Scott mentioned Matt did some dot work on his AF 15 so high tech or not it is being done. I can't wait for him to post some scans of it. :baiting:

Reread my post above about why the rubber stamp won't work. Make sure you look closely at the scan of the FF#25 so you can see why I say it would be difficult. A simple stamp with one row of dots wouldn't do it. Honestly, you'd get a better result with a good scanner and inkjet printer as long as you could figure out how to keep the ink from running (whether through the use of waterproof inks or through the use of a fixative over normal inks).

So do you think that is what Matt did with your AF #15 ?