• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Favorite Archie Covers
6 6

1,558 posts in this topic

Nice copy! if that B&V #320 were the 75 cent price variant edition in that nice of grade you would be rich! doh!

Fixed that for you. ;)

There's nothing variant about the 75 cent copies. EVERY Canadian issue had that price.

Nice copy! if that B&V #320 were the 75 cent price variant edition in that nice of grade you would be rich! doh!

Fixed that for you. ;)

There's nothing variant about the 75 cent copies. EVERY Canadian issue had that price.

It's still regarded as a Canadian Price Variant (type 1a). See Jon McLure's article in the 40th edition OSPG.

Fixed that for you. ;)

It's still regarded as a Canadian Price Variant (type 1a). See Jon McLure's article in the 40th edition OSPG.

Yeah, I know what Jon said. Using his terms, every Canadian edition is a variant, every pence copy is a variant, etc. I personally don't see them that way. I see them as editions. They were the common version where they were sold.

Here's what I just PM'd another board member.

"....the price variants were not the norm anywhere. For example, even the .30 Marvel variants distributed in Baltimore (far and away the widest distribution of any variant anywhere), were probably 1 out every 100 for the common ones, and 1 out of every 5000 for the rare ones. The were never the norm or the rule. The 75 cent books were.

I'm not trying to suggest they're not worth collecting. Everyone should collect what they want---it's just that certain dealers and collectors try to hype them by calling them variants in order to suggest they're rare. Usually, they're not."

Where's JC when you need him. :o

Edited by underthebigw

Fixed that for you. ;)

Yeah, I know what Jon said. Using his terms, every Canadian edition is a variant, every pence copy is a variant, etc. I personally don't see them that way. I see them as editions. They were the common version where they were sold.

Here's what I just PM'd another board member.

"....the price variants were not the norm anywhere. For example, even the .30 Marvel variants distributed in Baltimore (far and away the widest distribution of any variant anywhere), were probably 1 out every 100 for the common ones, and 1 out of every 5000 for the rare ones. The were never the norm or the rule. The 75 cent books were.

I'm not trying to suggest they're not worth collecting. Everyone should collect what they want---it's just that certain dealers and collectors try to hype them by calling them variants in order to suggest they're rare. Usually, they're not."

Where's JC when you need him. :o

I agree with this. I think that the '62-'63 15c books are the only true US variants in the Archie line (and are similar to the '70s Marvel variants). Everything else is just a different price for a different country,

I have essentially all the comics from 1941-71. I keep putting off making a list of the last 20 or so I need, so I may never complete the set lol

Still working on the price variants and various other items like the giveaway calendars and Archie club stuff.

I only know one person who has all the comics from 1941-present.

I have essentially all the comics from 1941-71. I keep putting off making a list of the last 20 or so I need, so I may never complete the set lol

Still working on the price variants and various other items like the giveaway calendars and Archie club stuff.

:o I'm trying to put a set together of Life of Archie #1 thru 50, and it's not easy, so I can't imagine a set of all the titles.

Thanks, amazing feat.