• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Favorite Archie Covers
6 6

1,558 posts in this topic

Didn't you ever wonder why the US versions of that time period had that big price box?

My thinking is they were probably considering working in the "Only 25¢" marketing angle.

Weren't there three or four different price points on comics at that time? Some Marvels had prices printed larger than the issue numbers for example, and I thought it was done to avoid confusion as to the price for the customer or cashier. (shrug)

You know my daughter is starting to get interested in Archie comics. I thought it'd be a good read, but every time I see covers there is some sexual theme or innuendo that I'm not sure it is a good book for her...

The newer stuff seems somewhat toned down in that regard, both covers and interior stories.

You know my daughter is starting to get interested in Archie comics. I thought it'd be a good read, but every time I see covers there is some sexual theme or innuendo that I'm not sure it is a good book for her...

The newer stuff seems somewhat toned down in that regard, both covers and interior stories.

+1

I've never nticed the interior stories rivaling the covers for covert innuendo. Then again I never realy noticed the innuendo until I started hanging out here.

The innuendo is somewhat milder than what's found in Tex Avery cartoons - I never worried about my kids reading it. At worst Archies from that era reinforce the objectification of the female form and idea that girls have nothing better to do than obsess over boys. Which I always figured was more or less the point of Archie comics anyway.

On another note - really like those late 50s/early 60s scifi & monster covers.

I find a lot of comics and cartoons have stuff in them that adults "GET" but kids don't notice. I started reading Archie as a young kid in the 70's and never noticed any of that stuff. Now when I read it I get it and have a good laugh but never did pick up on it as a kid.

Archie 115 from 1960 is the first time the logo on Archie was not red and blue. I don't think they strayed from red/blue logos again until about 1973.

Archie-115-vf-t.jpg

Gotta love the Archie 115

8053806957_47cb496609_b.jpg

(worship)