• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Favorite Archie Covers
6 6

1,558 posts in this topic

And probably the scarcest issue of Little Archie

Wow Steve, nice Little A 21. I have a copy but some kid drew eyeglasses on Archie with a pen. I have searched everywhere for a replacement but any time I see one it's trashed. Why so scarce?

No idea (shrug) But 20 and 21 definitely seem scarcer than the surrounding issues...

Do people still collect archie digests?

Jughead

Laugh

archie and jug

archie

lil archie

casper

richie rich

betty veronica

double digests

Of course they do, but I think price is a consideration. You got a nice haul of them!

Jughead

Laugh

archie and jug

archie

lil archie

casper

richie rich

betty veronica

double digests

I'm sure people do, but for whatever reason I just never got into them. I have always had few hundred. Pretty sure they came from times when I purchased a large lot and they were thrown in, but I'm not sure what issues or titles they are and I don't count them in my total collection. There is one copy that I have that I do count toward my total and that was this year's Free Comic Book Day offering from Archie. It was a digest and since I do have a complete run of the FCD Archie's from 2003 on I felt I needed to have this one in the mix.

Are you looking to sell or buy?

Here is the 75 cent price variant edition of Jughead #327 which was difficult to find. Also P&G #15 (35 cent price variant) and lastly a Jughead #333 (75 cent price variant) with Samm Schwarts art.

Jughead #331-352 all have story art by Schwarts in them which I was not aware of and Jughead #331-333 feature nice! Big Ethel stories by Schwartz in that 3 issue run.

When Samm came back to Jughead around issue 179, he stuck with it to the end of the first series. Pretty much every issue I have in that range has all Jughead stories by Samm and most covers by DeCarlo. I never gave thought to the variants, but now I've got one more thing to add to my list. :)

And probably the scarcest issue of Little Archie

Wow Steve, nice Little A 21. I have a copy but some kid drew eyeglasses on Archie with a pen. I have searched everywhere for a replacement but any time I see one it's trashed. Why so scarce?

No idea (shrug) But 20 and 21 definitely seem scarcer than the surrounding issues...

I picked up a mid-grade issue 20 because I was tired of looking for anything better. All of Bolling's issues are treasures, but issue 20 has "The Long Walk" which is a touching and heartfelt story.

Jughead

Laugh

archie and jug

archie

lil archie

casper

richie rich

betty veronica

double digests

I'm sure people do, but for whatever reason I just never got into them. I have always had few hundred. Pretty sure they came from times when I purchased a large lot and they were thrown in, but I'm not sure what issues or titles they are and I don't count them in my total collection. There is one copy that I have that I do count toward my total and that was this year's Free Comic Book Day offering from Archie. It was a digest and since I do have a complete run of the FCD Archie's from 2003 on I felt I needed to have this one in the mix.

I don't know if you saw my post over in flea market finds. But I just got 1300 ish digests from a guy who brought them off the stands for 40 ish years.

I am undecided...on one hand, I want to keep the good ones such as jug with archie 1-10, Katy Keene 1-10, a few other #1's then sell the rest.

Oh also I found an archie superhero digest. Also #2 by Neal Adams but I forget which title. Also plenty of early laugh digests including Neal Adams.

At the same time, I could fund my comic collection or $$ for art supplies.

Not sure.

Edited by MrDeafComics

Jughead

Laugh

archie and jug

archie

lil archie

casper

richie rich

betty veronica

double digests

I don't know if you saw my post over in flea market finds. But I just got 1300 ish digests from a guy who brought them off the stands for 40 ish years.

I am undecided...on one hand, I want to keep the good ones such as jug with archie 1-10, Katy Keene 1-10, a few other #1's then sell the rest.

Oh also I found an archie superhero digest. Also #2 by Neal Adams but I forget which title. Also plenty of early laugh digests including Neal Adams.

Not sure.

Yes I totally missed the other post. First, great buy! Less than 80, ha, I'd do that any day! With regard to selling them it's a tough call. I mean sadly -- and this is just my perspective -- the digest auctions are a) always bulk, and b) don't go for much money. Nevertheless, the 1st issues - the ones you want to hold onto - do bring a decent amount by themselves when they are in good shape. $80 ... you really cannot lose on those one!

I love a good digest for reading purposes.

I think your best bet is to create some lots (by title) of 20-30 issues (after you've pulled the ones you want to keep) and sell them on ebay for $.50-$1.00/book (so a 20 digest bundle for $9.99 plus media mail shipping).

Thats a lot of good reading on the cheap, and while it mike take a while to sell them all, I think you'll make your money back and then some.

Jughead

Laugh

archie and jug

archie

lil archie

casper

richie rich

betty veronica

double digests

Not sure.

Yes I totally missed the other post. First, great buy! Less than 80, ha, I'd do that any day! With regard to selling them it's a tough call. I mean sadly -- and this is just my perspective -- the digest auctions are a) always bulk, and b) don't go for much money. Nevertheless, the 1st issues - the ones you want to hold onto - do bring a decent amount by themselves when they are in good shape. $80 ... you really cannot lose on those one!

I had to snag it regardless. I invited my mother over to see the collection with my younger brother and she had plenty of nostalgia brewing lol. She actually read one full digest before she left. :)

I also got a few freebies in that buy. Like 30 mad mags. Nothing special except for the famous finger cover. Also there's a box of richie/Casper/Wendy digests.

Still have 3 boxes left to sort.

Should I buy digest bcw bags for the keepers?? Or just put in a box they fit snugly?

I appreciate it. I do not mean to hijack this thread since its the only active archie thread here I know of.

I will delete my posts if OP requests it.

I love a good digest for reading purposes.

I think your best bet is to create some lots (by title) of 20-30 issues (after you've pulled the ones you want to keep) and sell them on ebay for $.50-$1.00/book (so a 20 digest bundle for $9.99 plus media mail shipping).

Thats a lot of good reading on the cheap, and while it mike take a while to sell them all, I think you'll make your money back and then some.

Thank you for your decent advice. I am really happy with this purchase. But I did feel overwhelmed at first like I do for all bulk buys.

I might just keep it all!!! I am starting a website blog after I move next week and this collection can provide me with close to 3-5 years of blogging materials/reviews! I can always sell them.

Decisions.....

Edited by MrDeafComics

I appreciate it. I do not mean to hijack this thread since its the only active archie thread here I know of.

I didn't realize I was king of the thread lol

hm

But, since you asked, anything Archie themed works here as far as I'm concerned :)

Jughead

Laugh

archie and jug

archie

lil archie

casper

richie rich

betty veronica

double digests

Not sure.

I had to snag it regardless. I invited my mother over to see the collection with my younger brother and she had plenty of nostalgia brewing lol. She actually read one full digest before she left. :)

I also got a few freebies in that buy. Like 30 mad mags. Nothing special except for the famous finger cover. Also there's a box of richie/Casper/Wendy digests.

Still have 3 boxes left to sort.

Should I buy digest bcw bags for the keepers?? Or just put in a box they fit snugly?

DO NOT BUY BCW BAGS. They do not fit manga books and I don't believe they were good for the Archie Digest as well. Especially when you get into the older ones that are thicker. I got my bags from Hot Flips. If they don't have them on their website, call them. BCW manga/digest bags were too short. The Hot Flip bags doesn't have the flap so they can accommodate many different size books and thicknesses.

I may be interested in some Laugh digest. I will PM you later today.