• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Favorite Archie Covers
6 6

1,558 posts in this topic

Very cool. I devoured Archie digests growing up and still have several cardboard boxes full that I dip into from time to time. I never truly collected them like I did the actual comics but loved their density of stories (especially the double digests) and not worrying about condition.

Archie was the comic I collected and read most growing up. There was only 1 drug store in my small town and they sold Archie, Mad, Sugar and Spice and a few other titles. I never owned a Archie Digest #1 so being such a big life long fan I thought it was time for me to add one to my PC. Here it is

Archiedigest1_zps1f1dbb69.jpg

Try finding the first Archie comic digests Canadian price variant issues published with 95 cent cover prices on them dated 11/79 and 12/79 being Archie Andrews where are you? #12, Laugh Comics digest #25, Archie Comics digest #39, Jughead Jones comics magazine digest #11 and Jughead with Archie digest #35. 9.0 copies or higher are rare not scarce to find with those first digest issue price variants it seems. The Archie digest Canadian price variants came out about 3 years prior to the Archie 75c Canadian price variant comic books which began with 9/82 dated issues.

This is the airbrush painting for Betty & Veronica #62, 2nd series from 1993.

The original pencil and ink is Dan DeCarlo and Allison Flood. The artwork has been transferred to a transparency so of course it's not original. Then Rex did the airbrush painting on bristol board behind the transparency. His signature is on the painting itself.

I had never seen one of these before. Wish I could find more! These are so much nicer looking than color guides and color separations.

DSC02698_zpsd0ec5f8a.jpg

Here's a piece of art that's not a cover. I had posted it in the art thread but there aren't any Archie people over there.

This was listed on ebay a couple times and I finally took the bait. It's colored pencil on bristol board and done by an artist named Rafael Ruiz. I don't believe he's any relation to Fernando Ruiz. Anyway, I thought it was a fairly recent piece but it's dated 11-28-89 on the back.

It was unframed. Once I received it, I couldn't resist getting a frame for it.

DSC02694_zps1c5c0922.jpg

This isn't a cover, it's a question. A guy I know on another forum had a question only an Archie expert could answer, so I figured, what better place than this thread to ask. He's trying to identify a comic from his childhood. Here's what he knows:

"This unknown comic has been on my mind for decades, one of the earliest comics I read that I remember. Must have been between 1961-1963 and it was an Archie's Madhouse comic. Unfortunately GCD doesn't have many of these issues indexed as of yet. The story goes as such

An inventor loves to eat cake. He builds a time machine so that after he finishes the cake, he can go back in time and eat it again. He wants to prove "You can have your cake and eat it too"

Anyone know what issue this is? Madhouse is one title I don't collect.

This one is also a favorite of mine.

Does anyone have a high grade copy of this book they can share a scan of? I've never seen a really nice one.

betty40.jpg

Edited by Comixcroz