• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Favorite Archie Covers
6 6

1,558 posts in this topic

Was rearranging some boxes on this lazy, rainy monday and thought I'd share some slabs that caught my eye …

This one really captures how I feel around the holidays having been to about 10 parties in the last 5 days. Love the cover, the colors and the classic Jughead attitude regarding social engagement!

Jug29_zpsfd1e290f.jpg

Again, classic Jughead, colors that pop off the cover and always enjoy seeing oversized food on his plate.

Jug24_zps6e28e60c.jpg

Monsters and Jughead … seen these covers a million times but never really thought much of them in the past till a fellow boardie called my attention to them. It's such a departure from the other Jughead covers and I've developed a real appreciation for the artwork.

Jug79_zps2b5b414e.jpg

And this one I just find amusing. I mean, it's a classic Jughead #1 cover … I just think it's odd how quickly it was recycled. Only 68 issues later? I've seen it across different books in the Archie series for sure, and I get it, with over 100 Archie/MLJ titles spanning roughly 75 years you're gonna see some similar concepts. But the same cover, same title, so soon is intriguing to me. Same or similar Archie/MLJ covers could make for a cool thread.

Jug69_zps89d39f9f.jpg

And this one I just find amusing. I mean, it's a classic Jughead #1 cover … I just think it's odd how quickly it was recycled. Only 68 issues later? I've seen it across different books in the Archie series for sure, and I get it, with over 100 Archie/MLJ titles spanning roughly 75 years you're gonna see some similar concepts. But the same cover, same title, so soon is intriguing to me. Same or similar Archie/MLJ covers could make for a cool thread.

Jug69_zps89d39f9f.jpg

They recycled cover gags for several issues in a row, from about issue 66 up to 73. In fact, issue 68 is a rework of the cover for 29 you posted. In issue 62, they redrew a -script from issue 4 (and the story was later redrawn again with minor -script changes in That Wilkin Boy)

I'd like to say Samm's takes on the cover gags were superior to the originals, but he really didn't change much of the design or look of it. As much as I love his interior work, his covers rarely catch my attention the same way.

Archie was the comic I collected and read most growing up. There was only 1 drug store in my small town and they sold Archie, Mad, Sugar and Spice and a few other titles. I never owned a Archie Digest #1 so being such a big life long fan I thought it was time for me to add one to my PC. Here it is

Archiedigest1_zps1f1dbb69.jpg