• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question for Cap Fans

25 posts in this topic

Hey Cap fans...

I just found out one of my better clients is a bit of a cap comics fan. He had a collection ages ago, but now has only a couple of minor books.

I give holiday gifts to some of my better clients, so I'm wondering what would be the best use of a $100-200 budget to hook him up with something. I don't think he's an HG guy, in fact I'll be he has no idea what CGC is or does, so I'm thinking the particular issue should be more significant than the grade, ie. a lower grade key vs a pristine random issue.

Some of the obvious contenders are Cap 100, maybe a beater copy of Avengers 4. Any other suggestions?

If he's not a high grade collector he could either buy one or two "key" books in low grade or he could by a nice mid-high grade raw set of books by digging through dollar bins at a local comic shop or con.

You might want to try to find out what era he read, and maybe you can find some of the books that h loved from that period.

Giving him a nice copy of a childhood book or three might have more impact than a beater key.

I'd like to keep it at one good book (or other item, I'm open to anything), I don't know if he's really interested in amassing a collection. I could see him displaying a slab in his office, I think he'd like that.

A slabbed Cap 100 would be the way to go. It's an iconic image and says "Big Premiere Issue," so it looks important even if its just the continuation of TOS. All grades are abundant, and you should be able to find an upper mid-grade copy with great eye appeal for $100-200 or less. If you're able to find an Avengers #4 in that range, it's going to be a complete butt-rag. Plus, it may have historic importance and a cool cover, it doesn't have as much punch as the #100 especially for non-hardcore collectors. Issue #109 would also look nice and should be a bit cheaper than the #100.

You could buy him the Captain America Omnibus that collects the Ed Brubaker/Steve Epting issues from #1-25 for less than $100

If the person is an old-time fan, do you think he would like the ret-con storyline, esp. the fact that Bucky is alive? doh! I'd go with older issues. If he's into stylized art, the OP could get the 3 Steranko issues of Cap for him.

I'd like to keep it at one good book (or other item, I'm open to anything), I don't know if he's really interested in amassing a collection. I could see him displaying a slab in his office, I think he'd like that.

A slabbed Cap 100 would be the way to go. It's an iconic image and says "Big Premiere Issue," so it looks important even if its just the continuation of TOS. All grades are abundant, and you should be able to find an upper mid-grade copy with great eye appeal for $100-200 or less. If you're able to find an Avengers #4 in that range, it's going to be a complete butt-rag. Plus, it may have historic importance and a cool cover, it doesn't have as much punch as the #100 especially for non-hardcore collectors. Issue #109 would also look nice and should be a bit cheaper than the #100.

Why slabbed?

Why slabbed?

Because the OP said "I could see him displaying a slab in his office, I think he'd like that. "

Why slabbed?

Because the OP said "I could see him displaying a slab in his office, I think he'd like that. "

I read his first post, skimmed his second. Carry on.

If you really want bang for your buck, buy him great Cap stories and forget the key.

For $200 you can get the following:

A nice eye appeal VF copy of Cap 109, which has a better cover than 100, and will run you like $50

Cap 332-350 (great story)

Cap 286-288

Cap 140-146

Thanks for all the suggestions, you've all given me some good options to consider.

Anyone ever notice Steven Colbert has one of those $300 Cap shields on his set? I probably will go for the Cap 100 in nice shape, Mr. Pontoon makes some good points that seem to fit this particular bill.

I'd suggest a Cap 100 in about 6.5 to 7.0 SS Joe Simon. You can probably have that done for around 200 bucks if you buy a raw 100 and have NY comics or DesertWind do the signature series slabbing.

This suggestion has my vote. For the money this issue would be great and adding Joe Simon's sig would be as good as it gets. NYComics is for sure having another Joe Simon signing soon I believe. DesertWinds may also be doing that.