• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is it about those DC 100 pagers?

159 posts in this topic

All those DC 100 page issues from the early 70s are pretty cool ya' know. I can't explain it, they are just so appealing to me. It seems as if some others have the same fascination as I have heard that various collectors are putting together sets of all the 100 page issues. Anyone have a complete list or know where I can find one? I don't read the books so my fascination does not lie on the fact that they are plentiful of story, and the large amount of reprints within is also not a problem to me. They're just cool. Anyone else feel the same way? I am even getting into those Modern Love and Modern Romance 100 pagers. -----Sid

I know that they are popular and that the high prices are a result of the difficulties in obtaining copies in high grade. I have quite a few myself, and have always thought that 100 pages provided a lot of value for those of us that read them.

Maybe someone else will have a complete list, but you could always compile your own list via Overstreet etc......it would take some time though!! thumbsup2.gif

Awesome. I had been following it anyway but after seeing that list (above) I just had to get the 1st ever DC 100 pager. The DC 100 Page Super Spectacular #4 House Of Mystery book with the great Wrightson cover. Another slabbed 6.0 copy is currently listed for about $50 by another dealer but I got a great deal on this one for about $18. Most likely the dealer overgraded it but I am assuming it is around a 5.0 (check it out). I won't slab it so I am happy with the deal. The cool thing is that the cover image on this issue is also on the back. -----Sid

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2217688968&category=12592&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWN%3AIT&rd=1

There are 115 100 pagers from 1971 to 1975. I have been collecting 100 pagers for 15 years and have the complete collection. I guess I have over 600 copies total, as I am always looking to upgrade. Unfortunately I do not have the kind of money to compete for some of the top graded comics, such as the DC-13 that went for $712. Ouch.

There are 115 100 pagers from 1971 to 1975. I have been collecting 100 pagers for 15 years and have the complete collection. I guess I have over 600 copies total, as I am always looking to upgrade. Unfortunately I do not have the kind of money to compete for some of the top graded comics, such as the DC-13 that went for $712. Ouch.

Hello, if you have an extra DC 100 Page Super Spectacular #5 Love Stories mid-grade for a reasonable price then please let me know. Thanks-----Sid

I loved those. Some of the earliest comics I ever read were the "Shazam!" 100-pagers. They really highlighted the contrast between the great storytelling of the 40s and 50s Fawcett era and DC's lame attempt at updating the character for the 70s.

These were the opposite of most of the Batman 100-pagers, which often had great new Neal Adams or Gordiano stories, but were padded with weak mid- to late-50s stories from Batman's "Boy Scout" phase.

I loved those. Some of the earliest comics I ever read were the "Shazam!" 100-pagers. They really highlighted the contrast between the great storytelling of the 40s and 50s Fawcett era and DC's lame attempt at updating the character for the 70s.

These were the opposite of most of the Batman 100-pagers, which often had great new Neal Adams or Gordiano stories, but were padded with weak mid- to late-50s stories from Batman's "Boy Scout" phase.

My experience exactly! Also remember it was very strange as an 11 year old to pick up one of those Action Comics 100 Page Spectaculars and find a bunch of non-super-hero reprints featuring the likes of Matt Savage, Trail Boss or the Sea Devils! confused.gif I'm all for genre diversity now, but that move really seemed to miss the target market at the time.

I thought the best use of the 100 Page format was Archie Goodwin's Detective Comics, where you had the great new stories by Archie & co, and probably the best-ever collection of Golden Age to Silver Age reprints thanks to E. Nelson Bridwell. Of course,the original dozen or so all-reprint 100 Page Super Spectacular series was pretty great as well.

Also remember it was very strange as an 11 year old to pick up one of those Action Comics 100 Page Spectaculars and find a bunch of non-super-hero reprints featuring the likes of Matt Savage, Trail Boss or the Sea Devils! confused.gif I'm all for genre diversity now, but that move really seemed to miss the target market at the time.

I disagree....I was a little younger than you at the time and loved the different stories. Hell, I was just happy to have a comic with so many stories and pages in them.

It's funny.....when you're younger the simplistic art and stories don't matter. I just wanted to be entertained and the 100 Page SS did that as well as anything on the market at the time. It's not until I got into my teens (at least in my case) that I started looking at comics with more a critical eye.....

Jim

Who wins in a bar fight?

DC's 100-pagers: 60 cents, some new material

Marvel's 100-page Treasury Editions: $1.50, large format, many key reprints

(I liked both back in the day, but the DCs win in my book.)

Who wins in a bar fight?

DC's 100-pagers: 60 cents, some new material

Marvel's 100-page Treasury Editions: $1.50, large format, many key reprints

(I liked both back in the day, but the DCs win in my book.)

Yeah, I have to second that one. I liked the Treasury books, but because they were big and awkward they just didn't have that same "feel" of the DC 100 pagers.

Hey, I just bought a treasure the other day grin.gif , check this out, the very FIRST ever DC 100 page issue, no ads, same image on the back cover (unobstructed) as on the front cover and a beautiful 8.5 CGG grade, very high grade for a 1971 DC 100-page issue. Haven't received it yet but already paid. Take a look:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2221616031&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOAB:US:6

I paid just about the exact Overstreet guide value for it but it is worth more than that to me. -----Sid