• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wonder Woman....silver or bronze

130 posts in this topic

A few of mine.

WonderWoman578.jpg

WW60.jpg

WonderWoman79cgc70white-January1956.jpgWonderWoman80cgc80offwhitetowhite-F.jpg

WonderWoman81cgc80offwhite-April195.jpg

WW96.jpg

WonderWoman97.jpg

WonderWoman99cgc80offwhitetowhite-J.jpg

WonderWoman107cgc80offwhitetowhite-.jpg

WonderWoman10880-August1959.jpg

I love your copy of WW #108. I also have a copy that I sumbitted to CGC and came back a 9.2. Needless to say I was extremely happy with the grade. However, I believe this is a grey-tone cover, but CGC does not note that and neither does, to my recollection, the OSPG. What are your thoughts and your copy is IMHO also very high grade. Looks to me a 9.0 or higher though it's hard to tell from a scan. Great book!! A classic to be sure!

SLR

Personally I think the artwork on the cover of Wonder Woman 108 is hideously bad, so much so that #108 is my lowest priority of the Silver Age run.

:tonofbricks:

I have to agree. Diana's face looks much too cartoony here -- a stark contrast to the lovely and highly detailed inset illustration of Diana on the cover of #107.

I love your copy of WW #108. I also have a copy that I sumbitted to CGC and came back a 9.2. Needless to say I was extremely happy with the grade. However, I believe this is a grey-tone cover, but CGC does not note that and neither does, to my recollection, the OSPG. What are your thoughts and your copy is IMHO also very high grade. Looks to me a 9.0 or higher though it's hard to tell from a scan. Great book!! A classic to be sure!

SLR

I just had my 108 graded. It came back 8.0 off-white to white.

I go through fads on this cover. Some days I love it and some days I hate it. One thing for sure is that it stands out from the rest of the run besides 199 and 200.

I still think that Diana had the hottest mom in comics!!

WW_142.jpg

Nice monster cover.

WW_143.jpg

Poor Wonder Girl...she can only go to the dance with a bird boy or a fish boy. Either way, I bet they both smell really bad!

WW_144.jpg

Everytime I see the Wonder Girl from this time frame it blows me away how DC went from her to:

th_bb60.jpg

What was DC thinking? :screwy:

I am also astounded at putting such a goofy looking "hero" on the cover.

wg.jpg

I agree. I'd say editorial oversight was lacking. The editor should have tossed that illustration back to Nick Cardy and told him to redraw Wonder Girl to look the way Ross Andru had been portraying her for years. Wonder Girl went from looking hot and sexy to dumb and goofy with a few quick strokes of Cardy's pencil.

:eek:

I still think that Diana had the hottest mom in comics!!

I agree! And I love all three of the covers you posted.

:luhv:

A few of mine.

WonderWoman578.jpg

WW60.jpg

WW96.jpg

WonderWoman97.jpg

SLR

Love the #79 and #97. Don't recall ever seeing either one. :cloud9:

And YES........... #108 is a greytone. (thumbs u

A few of mine.

WonderWoman578.jpg

WW60.jpg

WW96.jpg

WonderWoman97.jpg

SLR

Love the #79 and #97. Don't recall ever seeing either one. :cloud9:

And YES........... #108 is a greytone. (thumbs u

Again, then why doesn't CGC or OSPG note that the cover is a grey tone???

I suspect that the answer is that being human they miss some things.

(shrug)

Here are scans of three more of my Wonder Woman issues:

26-05-201175011PM.jpg

26-05-201175014PM.jpg

26-05-201175018PM.jpg

The #141 is the first Wonder Woman book I ever bought and so has a special place in my heart.

:headbang:

Fifth floor...stockings, girdles, ladies under-things and ... DINOSAURS!

WW_148.jpg

Another volcano monster...but still a very "cool" dynamic cover!

WW_149.jpg

Poor Wonder Girl, no wonder she fell so hard for Steve...the only "men" on Paradise Island were those goofy bird and fish man-imals.

WW_150.jpg

Fifth floor...stockings, girdles, ladies under-things and ... DINOSAURS!

WW_148.jpg

And given the sign toys too! Sounds like a well stocked department store to me.

Poor Wonder Girl, no wonder she fell so hard for Steve...the only "men" on Paradise Island were those goofy bird and fish man-imals.

WW_150.jpg

And it may also explain why the Donna Troy variant of Wonder Girl ended up swooning over some bearded, sensitive, aging hippie type. He must have been dreamy compared with the dates she was getting around Paradise Island.

(shrug)

Guys,

If I wasn't spending money on war books that I should really be spending on food and shoes for the kids, I would be spending all my money on 10 and 12 cent Wonder Woman books in grade.

They're just cooler than hell...

Shep

And the title goes to...WONDER GIRL!

WW_151.jpg

Teenage Diana must have been a big hit with the readers, so much so that she squeezed her older self off the cover!

WW_152.jpg

Poor Wonder Girl, she woke up on the wrong side this morning (of her face, that is!)

WW_153.jpg

Steve...where are you???

WW_155.jpg

Look how hot the other Amazons look compared to Wonder Woman! DC was still demanding that Ross Andru draw Wonder Woman to look as boxy and unsexy as possible.

:(

This would have been better without the text blurbs but I have always liked this cover! (thumbs u

WW_156.jpg